• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Comic Zone: Sparkle City Comic's Founder Jay Maybruck
1 1

71 posts in this topic

Vinny,

Tremendous interview with Jay. I mean just riveting stuff. The Brad Savage story was redunkulous... how did you end up not assaulting him?

Maybe because hes like 6ft 5in and 250lbs?

who is Brad Savage ??????

Vinny,

Tremendous interview with Jay. I mean just riveting stuff. The Brad Savage story was redunkulous... how did you end up not assaulting him?

According to Vinnie he is a F-ing A-hole.

Never met him myself, but after listening to the story he sure sounds like a F-ing A-hole!

Vince, did you discuss his purchase of the Fawcett materials, particularly the trial exhibits and ashcans?

Or how about the Catechetical Guild books?

And isn't he a fugitive? (shrug)

We touched on the Fawcetts, ashcans and Catechetical Guild books. But to get the real scoop you will have to listen to it yourself!

V

So are you hinting that maybe Vinny played the role of Robert Downey Jr. in his version of Natural Born Comic killers?

I see a movie happening baby!

Vinny, Call my agent!

Have your people call my people and we'll do lunch baby!

V

Vinny,

Just fascinating. I mean really and truly fascinating.

When it happened I was in shock. If it happened today it would be a very different story. Glad you are all enjoying the show. Lots more coming with Part II!

Just finished listening to the whole show, really interesting and entertaining.

And looking at the list of previous shows I see a ton of episodes to listen to

in the future. Very cool stuff Vincent!

Joker--

Vince, did you discuss his purchase of the Fawcett materials, particularly the trial exhibits and ashcans?

Or how about the Catechetical Guild books?

And isn't he a fugitive? (shrug)

We touched on the Fawcetts, ashcans and Catechetical Guild books. But to get the real scoop you will have to listen to it yourself!

V

I definitely will do so. (thumbs u

Vinny,

According to Vinnie he is a F-ing A-hole.

Never met him myself, but after listening to the story he sure sounds like a F-ing A-hole!

I could never understand why he turned his back on my stuff... that one never made sense. I specifically asked him to watch my stuff, he said yes and then I get back upstairs and he has his back to my table and my books are gone. Although I never accused him of taking anything from me (I still don't believe he had anything to do with it) I remember him making it a point of calling me a week later to let me know he didn't like the idea that it was going around that he was involved... didn't call to see how I was doing... not to see how he could help try to find them and no apology... never an apology. When I am wrong about something or screw up I apologize...

I really wish I never brought up his name on the air and lost my cool. We should really all just focus on the Jay stuff- that is the important part of this show.

Vinny,

Brad Savage was anger management out of control, so much that he would rip up his own books. He mostly sold all new stuff at sky high prices, if a book was hot and fairly new and hot, he would have it. Lo and behold if a kid came over looking for that book and Brad had high price on it (which was always), and the kid turned down Brad's price, that would set him off. Parents would come over and get confrontational, and it would make other buyers steer away. Sometimes he would just berate convention goers for not buying his stuff, out aloud, not many organizers could not handle him. He was his own worst enemy, so in a nut shell ( pun intended) that was Brad Savage.

Vinny,

Brad Savage was anger management out of control, so much that he would rip up his own books. He mostly sold all new stuff at sky high prices, if a book was hot and fairly new and hot, he would have it. Lo and behold if a kid came over looking for that book and Brad had high price on it (which was always), and the kid turned down Brad's price, that would set him off. Parents would come over and get confrontational, and it would make other buyers steer away. Sometimes he would just berate convention goers for not buying his stuff, out aloud, not many organizers could not handle him. He was his own worst enemy, so in a nut shell ( pun intended) that was Brad Savage.

Link to the Interview please (shrug) ?

Just my 2 cents about Brad Savage. He still owes me $300 for a restored Avengers 4 he sold me and I returned PERSONALLY to his house/shack in upstate NY. He did a ton of business on Ebay and was always fighting with them for some reason or another. Its been a few years now so I don't remember his ebay user name or if he is still around. He wasn't a well person when I was talking to him and a Howard Hughes type individual. With the artwork PINNED on his walls in the house he probably could have bought a mansion. Old beat up car, clothes everywhere, books and artwork everywhere BUT it had to be worth a fortune. I don't remember which VERY early FF (below issue 10) artwork was hanging but I think it was almost complete. He was a real nut with Marilyn Monroe memorabilia and had some killer looking Avengers 4 and also other keys including an FF1.

I am positive that I won't be seeing the rest of my refund from him...I should have gotten the whole thing when I was there.

Steve

Guys-

When I started doing the CZ there were two guests I wanted- Ditko and Jay Maybruck. I don't think I will ever get Ditko (if you have his # please PM it to me) but I finally got Jay on the show. For those of you who do not know about Sparkle City Comics they were the biggest dealers in the late 70s to early 90s. Much of what we experience today in the comic market can be attributed to Sparkle in some way. The interview consists about Jay's early days and what eventually led to his downfall. It is a tale of comic dealing, love, drugs, hookers and betrayal. The interview is almost 2 1/2 hours and it is worth listening to every second of it. You will learn a lot about comic history and how 1 man's wrong decision led to life-long regret.

http://www.comiczoneradio.com/

You should also check out the ebay lot with the Sparkle City Memorabilia Set. It is really cool and will help a good cause.

You ought to try and get Dave Anderson the dentist. He would make one hell of guest on the show. ;)

Brad Savage invested heavily in multiple copies of FF 48 and Avengers 4. He was not afraid to pay full retail for the best nm raw copies he could find.

Brad was collecting Annette Funicello (Beach Party surfing movies) items. Did not know he was also focussed on Marilyn.

Did not realized the J Maybruck interview was over 2 hrs long. Twice could not stay to listen to the end of the Comic Zone on the weekend because it was dinner time or nap time. No option to toggle to the last 30 mins of the interview either. :frustrated:

Site is www.comiczoneradio.com. I believe you can easily downlaod the show onto your Itunes and fast forward through it as well as fast forward through it on the CZR site itself.

I am glad you are all enjoying it- just wait til the 2nd part is up this Wed! It is going to be killer.

V

Site is www.comiczoneradio.com. I believe you can easily downlaod the show onto your Itunes and fast forward through it as well as fast forward through it on the CZR site itself.

I am glad you are all enjoying it- just wait til the 2nd part is up this Wed! It is going to be killer.

V

Listening to it now this is great! (thumbs u (thumbs u

Did not realized the J Maybruck interview was over 2 hrs long. Twice could not stay to listen to the end of the Comic Zone on the weekend because it was dinner time or nap time. No option to toggle to the last 30 mins of the interview either. :frustrated:

Exactly--I was "trapped" into listening to it to the end because I'd already invested too much time to "quit."

Exactly--I was "trapped" into listening to it to the end because I'd already invested too much time to "quit."

Just pause it and come back (shrug)

Use to run into B.S alot at the old N.Y shows in Penn hotel.[[1990s]]All the N.Y and tri state dealers use to be up there. B.S would be peddlin his new stuff[didnt have his own stand just] walkin around.I was at the sothebys auction where he won the Original art cover to MPFW # 1..Wow! Guess who he beat out on the floor?

Steve Geppi !!

Yep, he got that cover art for 23k.

Interesting to say the least. A sad story.

I hope the second part has more historical information of dealing back in the "early days", particularly about his role in locating copies of the original Catechetical Guild books and the Fawcett litigation copies.

Vinnie, the Comic Zone is a significant contribution to our hobby. (thumbs u You handle it well, except for maybe the cursing. ;)

Unfortunately, your guests can't relieve you of liability from slander that might occur on your program, but that was a good try (and your comments about Savage were primarily opinion based and protected! lol )!! :applause: And if you do get sued you can seek indemnification in this instance, though I imagine there is little money to pull from Maybruck. :gossip:

And is he still or was he not at some point a fugitive? :popcorn: