• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four #185 Cover Preliminary?

7 posts in this topic

hm I am not a Art guy and don't know much about it but this looked interesting to me; FF 185 Auction what can anyone tell me about Preliminary Art? :gossip: Is this the real thing and if so who did the work? The Seller said it was on thin paper is that normal? They also said they got it from a Heritage Auction. Anyway if anyone has any knowldege on this I would love to hear about it. :wishluck:

Thanks; Terry

it's a practice sketch usually on a regular sheet of paper. They do it to get the layout of the cover. Sometimes the final looks close sometimes it doesn't.

Looks like it was sold on HERITAGE, 24 FEB 2008

From the description

Dave Cockrum - Fantastic Four #185 Cover Preliminary Original Art (Marvel, 1977).

It's clobberin' time in this action-packed Bronze Age cover preliminary. This art wasn't signed, but a Marvel authority has informed us that Dave Cockrum was the artist for this preliminary scene (George Perez is credited for the finished cover art). This piece has an image area of 7" x 10.25", and its condition is Excellent.

Looks like it was sold on HERITAGE, 24 FEB 2008

From the description

Dave Cockrum - Fantastic Four #185 Cover Preliminary Original Art (Marvel, 1977).

It's clobberin' time in this action-packed Bronze Age cover preliminary. This art wasn't signed, but a Marvel authority has informed us that Dave Cockrum was the artist for this preliminary scene (George Perez is credited for the finished cover art). This piece has an image area of 7" x 10.25", and its condition is Excellent.

And sold for $120 plus shipping... (thumbs u

:applause: Thanks for the Reply everyone, but does it make sense that Dave Cockrum would do a practice sketch for George Perez to go by, was this comon practice back then? Does everyone think this is authinic and was actualy done by Dave Cockrum before the FF #185 actual cover Art? If so I might have to put in a offer on it, would be a Cool item if it is what it seems to be. (thumbs u

looks real to me; Dave C. did alot of these with varying degree of detail. You could buy this piece of the original production process for a couple hundred or spend mid to high teens for the original cover should it become for sale.... ;)