• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone still awake?

5,958 posts in this topic

As I have no knowledge of lullabys let me educate you on the subject of yo-yos to put you to sleep.

The yo-yo is one of the oldest toys in existence. Despite its lasting popularity, it is one of the simplest toys around. The yo-yo’s design has not strayed much since its original conception and design but the materials vary widely. The yo-yo is made up two disks connected by an axle with a string tied around it. Although its origin is unclear, most enthusiasts agree its development began in 1000 BCE. Young boys in Greece used them as playthings during the 1st Century C.E. Contrary to popular belief; the yo-yo was not used as a weapon. This story was popularized in the 1930s by yo-yo demonstrators and most recently in a 2008 Mountain Dew commercial. This myth was debunked by consulting the physics of a yo-yo. Because of the large amount of energy and speed lost when the yo-yo descends the string it would make it hard to effectively wound a human or animal.

The early Greek yo-yos were primitive and fragile, as they were made of terra cotta. While yo-yos were a kid’s toy in Ancient Greece, yo-yos, which were then known as bandalores, became popular with adults and nobles in Europe during the 1700s. James L. Haven filed and received the first U.S. Patent on his new way of making a yo-yo. This allowed metal yo-yos to be manufactured. Others patented slightly different forms of yo-yos, which until 1916 were still known as bandalores. Philippians immigrant, Pedro Flores first trademarked the term yo-yo and created his own manufacturing business and started tournaments, which judged a yo-yoer’s skill. An entrepreneur by the name of Donald F. Duncan bought out Flores’s company and renamed it Duncan. Following this, yo-yos became very popular during the Depression and Second World War. After its popularity dipped in the 1950s it had a brief resurgence in the 1960s. After flat lining for many decades yo-yos finally came back in vogue during the 90s with the advancement of yo-yo technology.

Over the years, the yo-yo has evolved from its relatively simplistic design to much more complex and sophisticated models. In the 1970s the first take apart yo-yo was developed. Later in the 90s a yo-yo model called the Yomega Brain made us e a ball bearing in the axle that allowed the yo-yo to spin longer than any other models before. Spring loaded weights in the axle cause the yo-yo to return when it reached a certain speed. The materials used to make this evolved from ceramic or wood to metal and finally plastic. Different shapes of the yo-yo were also developed including an H-Shape and the popular Butterfly shape.

As more and more people began to play with yo-yos some experimented with tricks. Basic tricks include the Sleeper in which the yo-yo spins while suspended at the end of the string and a Forward Pass in which the yo-yo is tossed straight forward and returns to the yo-yoer’s hand. More intermediate tricks like Around the World were devised and then tricks involving string manipulation like the Eiffel Tower in which the string is made to resemble the famous French monument.

Today yo-yoing has achieved cult status and immense popularity in small circles. Elaborate competitions are held to showcase yo-yoers’ talent a skill. Yo-yoing has factions of hobbyists in many countries and national competitions are held in Mexico, Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong, Korea, France, Germany, Switzerland, The Czech Republic, Hungary, and Australia.

A. I didn't read any of that.

B. Please tell me you did copy and paste that. Correct?

Besides for wiki people, I can't see a user on a comic forum typing history on a yo-yo.

:baiting:

Its all original by me. I like to yo-yo.