• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scam?

36 posts in this topic

Was this noted as a scam, or did I miss the thread?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2197539791&category=33816

Man, that looks like a water-faded 4.0 in a fake case/label...

I really don't get it. Scanners are well under $100 and people use [!@#%^&^] digital photos at off angles and poor exposures for a multi-k book.

But I DO see some things that are disturbing even with the [!@#%^&^] scans. Color loss in some areas and what looks like a nice bit of creasing as well.

looks legit to me

893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

Here's his:

label_1.jpg

Here's mine:

label_2.jpg

The CGC 9.8 copy from Heritage says Marvel Comics, 11/74

First full appearance of Wolverine.

Herb Trimpe art

A CGC 9.4 copy from Heritage says Marvel Comics, 11/74

Herb Trimpe & Jack Abel art

Out of the 30 or so auctions on Heritage, none have a capitalized "Art" although there are at least two styles of wording for Hulk 181.

Looks like a scam to me. The supersized pic of the serial number shows some weird font that just didn't seem right. The spine stress on the book is also pretty bad considering that it is supposed to be a soild 9.6 NM+ 893scratchchin-thumb.gif The way the label reflected also seemed odd for some reason. 893whatthe.gif

These scammers are really perfecting this to almost a perfect art 893frustrated.gif

looks legit to me

893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

Here's his:

label_1.jpg

Here's mine:

label_2.jpg

The CGC 9.8 copy from Heritage says Marvel Comics, 11/74

Herb Trimpe art

A CGC 9.4 copy from Heritage says Marvel Comics, 11/74

Out of the 30 or so auctions on Heritage, none have a capitalized "Art" although there are at least two styles of wording for Hulk 181.

I just pulled mine out and looked at them and art is definitely not capitalized! I did however look at a hulk 180 which of course is a diffrent book but it is like this for that part.

Herb Trimpe and Jack Abel art

while of course the 181 is

This is a wow experience and starting to realize more than ever the book of this magnitude, High dollar value needs to be purchased from a reputable seller! Its not safe anymore 893whatthe.gif

Davidking623

P.S. Nice catch JC !!!

Looks like a scam to me. The supersized pic of the serial number shows some weird font that just didn't seem right.

Yep, the font of the entire label is off; just look at the "M" in Marvel.

I saw the listing, and the font looked way off and the book looked like a POS, and once I compared it to my Hulk 181, it was clearly a fake.

Now as for advising the buyer... might be a shill, so be careful boys.

Looks like a scam to me. The supersized pic of the serial number shows some weird font that just didn't seem right.

Yep, the font of the entire label is off; just look at the "M" in Marvel.

I saw the listing, and the font looked way off and the book looked like a POS, and once I compared it to my Hulk 181, it was clearly a fake.

Now as for advising the buyer... might be a shill, so be careful boys.

That was my thinking but I thought I would ask anyway?I havent contacted the buyer for that reason! Who knows though that is a lot of money!

Davidking623

He bought a raw Hulk 181 in his feedback in fine condition and also a graded 181 in fine condition. The book is probably one of those.

Itll be interesting to see where this goes especially if the buyer is out of luck!( trust me it will suck if the guy buying this is legit as a buyer)But with Ebay looking to do a Rickdogg special to anyone that feels they are protecting people from scammers they suspend you for trying to protect people and the way I see it is what the hell do you do?

Davidking623