• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scam?

36 posts in this topic

Did anyone ever buy a fake CGC book like this.... or for the shy forum members, anyone have a "friend" who did? grin.gif

Joe you should remember the Rustysstarwars saga. Quite a lot of people bought those faked up slabs even though the CGC numbers handed out did not exist.

I of course was not one of them.

Once again thankyou Tomega. thumbsup2.gif

This 9.6 is almost certainly the same comic as this 6.5 he previously purchased:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33816&item=2183941317

* identical spine crease to the left of "Canadian"

* identical bend to the top right corner

* similar white spot above the first C in Comics (Marvel Comics Group)

* identical uneven cover cut (white margin on spine wider at bottom than top.)

Probably made a fake label using the serial number from another 9.6 he saw online.

Probably made a fake label using the serial number from another 9.6 he saw online.

Good work. I would add that the left side of the label appears legit (most likely taken from a real 9.6). However, the right side of the label, as pointed out by JC, is undoubtedly fake.

This 9.6 is almost certainly the same comic as this 6.5 he previously purchased:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33816&item=2183941317

* identical spine crease to the left of "Canadian"

* identical bend to the top right corner

* similar white spot above the first C in Comics (Marvel Comics Group)

* identical uneven cover cut (white margin on spine wider at bottom than top.)

I have looked at the scans of both books and it is kind of hard to tell of the alignment of the book in the 6.5 auction but it does to look to be the same book as it!

Davidking623

Ahh, but our good friend ruststarwars was good for something else: Marvel 30 CEnt price variants and due to all the negative talk about him, I missed out by bypassing his offers on ungraded stacks of books frown.gif

Darth...I would be surprised if you would have been happy to take books from such a scumbag.

hey folks,

it would seem to me that this guy has found a way to replace the label in a slab.

he has a slabbed 6.5 - if he was to counterfeit a 9.6 - the easiest way to do it would be to find a way to open it and switch labels, rather than trying to pry open an existing case, then replace label AND comic.

just curious - i don't follow this comic much - but at 4200 - isn't that a bit lower than what this book usually sells for? (i imagine around 6000 or so)

so were some potential buyers kept away from this auction due to the (relatively difficult to perceive) red flags? undoubtedly a counterfeit label. it was printed using a laser printer no doubt - but CGC labels have a dot-matrix quality to them.

again, good catch j.c.

Ahh, but our good friend ruststarwars was good for something else: Marvel 30 CEnt price variants and due to all the negative talk about him, I missed out by bypassing his offers on ungraded stacks of books frown.gif

Darth...I would be surprised if you would have been happy to take books from such a scumbag.

Yeah I know, but here's the thing I dwell on...if I didn't know who he was and what he did from the posts on here ( and I did bid on his stuff but didn't pursue), I may have found a source something I needed.

Believe it or not, I've dealt with sellers that most of the guys on here wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole, way before I started posting on this board...and actually had decent transactions.

How is it that sellers decide which buyers to screw over, while simultaneously giving the greatest customer service to others???

Ignorance is bliss, mushroom...once you find out tho, then the ethical dilemma kicks in..