• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Covers vs. Splashes

37 posts in this topic

However, I would suspect if price were not an issue, the cover usually wins since there is something to be said about framing a nice shiny glossy comic book along with the original art. Snob appeal? Wait until people begin framing the original cover art with a CGC high grade comic.

Cheers!

N

I'll be framing all 3 of my covers with a nice slab next to it, screw all who dont like it :sumo:

Full disclosure . . .

During the 26-plus years I've been collecting original art, I've owned about thirty complete stories . . . . . . hundreds of newspaper strips . . . a large assortment of interior pages . . . and over a hundred covers.

Covers are designed to be intrigue-orientated . . . to make the potential buyer want to read the book.

Everybody remembers the cover . . . but not quite so many would remember the accompanying splash.

That a cover's logo or masthead is a repeated stat . . . is only to be expected (and does not detract, in any way, for me).

Nowadays, my main interest is in cover art.

Standalone pieces of art that are self-contained.

Splashes are fine . . . but are part of an overall story.

eu2cuo.jpg

2hrfkif.jpg

pm9vl.jpg

ad2cqs.jpg

s1m1j8.jpg

Cover or Splash page?

Having had the pleasure to experience owning both types, I've decided I prefer pin-ups, that's if I can find them.

On large art there is nothing like seeing a massive head to toe image of your favorite hero without lettering or logos taking up to 2/3rds of the space. I would love to own the pin-up page to Amazing Spider-man 3. (Would post a image of that but I don't know how) Those are the kind of images that I am talking about.

Clem...

I'm Krazy and don't want my covers seeing the light of day. I don't prefer one over the other to be honest, but splashes tend to be cheaper.

Well, here's something that further confuses the issue. A splash of one issue that later was used as a cover of another.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=388092&GSub=60638

Apparently, this is a cover of the third reprint of a book that contained that page as a splash.

I don't remember previously seeing something like this, although I may have, but wasn't collecting OA at the time.

Seeing as how splashes and covers are obviously valued differently, how is something like this valued? It is a cover or a splash? I'm sure if I were buying, I would argue its a splash, but a seller can legitimately call it a cover. . .

Should there be a new term for this -- a Splover -- Splash that became a Cover?

Any thoughts?

- A

I know that the splash from Hulk 1 was used as the cover for the second printing.....Appears they at Marvel are either really impressed with Ed's splashes or trying to save a little money.....Or both.

Well, here's something that further confuses the issue. A splash of one issue that later was used as a cover of another.

Apparently, this is a cover of the third reprint of a book that contained that page as a splash.

I don't remember previously seeing something like this, although I may have, but wasn't collecting OA at the time.

Seeing as how splashes and covers are obviously valued differently, how is something like this valued? It is a cover or a splash? I'm sure if I were buying, I would argue its a splash, but a seller can legitimately call it a cover. . .

Any thoughts?

- A

Marvel has done this for a few reprints and variants. It's a bonus for the collector that owns the original of course, and sometimes the splash is nicer than the first print cover, but not very often when it's dollar value is higher or even close to that of the first print cover.

Any thoughts?

- A

Yeah, that's my splover. I like that term! It makes me feel like I have something special! But seriously, that splash cost me about as much as the cover cost to the same issue. I just liked it much better. It has the Green Hulk in it! The regular cover just has the Red Hulk fighting a new Abomination. The splover was much more my style and exciting.

Venture -

That's a nice splover. lol!

McGuiness's style is perfectly suited to Hulk in my opinion and that image has a nice power and tension to it. Plus, the inevitable return of the true Incredible Hulk!

I must confess to being somewhat surprised that the splash cost about the same as the first cover, because - as many people noted in this thread - and as is generally the case, pure splashes tend to be cheaper.

When you shelled out the money for that splash did you know it was going to be a cover? or was it just because you liked the splash so much?

There have been other in-house promo ads that I was interested in purchasing, but were almost immediately priced as covers because of a rumor that someone heard from a friend who had a friend who worked in the production department of one of the big two that thought they may have seen an image that looked like something like that promo piece, but, of course, they weren't sure, and couldn't tell me, even if they were. (Apologies to the writers of Ferris Bueller's Day Off). ;)

Anyway, the point is, that even if there is a whiff of a rumor that a piece will become a cover, it usually gets priced as such, and I'm wondering if that was the case for your piece.

- A

Venture -

I must confess to being somewhat surprised that the splash cost about the same as the first cover, because - as many people noted in this thread - and as is generally the case, pure splashes tend to be cheaper.

When you shelled out the money for that splash did you know it was going to be a cover? or was it just because you liked the splash so much?

Anyway, the point is, that even if there is a whiff of a rumor that a piece will become a cover, it usually gets priced as such, and I'm wondering if that was the case for your piece.

- A

That was the case in my situation. I kinda feel like it was a little expensive because it was "only" intended to be a splash but I didn't want to try to haggle and have someone else snatch it up. It was advertised as the cover for the 2nd printing so I pretty much paid cover price for it. What made it "worth it" was the fact that it is the return of the green hulk and that it was done by McGuinness. Also, any McGuinnes Hulk cover that gets offered for sale, usually goes pretty fast.