• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

I know that WD 1 has been selling for ridiculous prices lately...but this 1 is close to what I paid for my 9.8 and it still has 4 days left!

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Walking-Dead-1-NM-First-1stPrint-Robert-Kirkman_W0QQitemZ230444163939QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item35a78ae363

I find it's an equal mix of awesome and ridiculous.

OMG thats just a raw! so far its around 9.6 CGC prices. What is going on?! ???

I know that WD 1 has been selling for ridiculous prices lately...but this 1 is close to what I paid for my 9.8 and it still has 4 days left!

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Walking-Dead-1-NM-First-1stPrint-Robert-Kirkman_W0QQitemZ230444163939QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item35a78ae363

OMG thats just a raw! so far its around 9.6 CGC prices. What is going on?! ???

WOW!! I agree, I'm loving this but it's nuts at the same time.

I started getting outbid @ $300 about 3 weeks ago. $320 is the highest I've seen but not by much. The days of $250 for a high grade #1 are behind us for awhile. Thankfully the 9.8 prices have maintained the margin. Since I started buying WD the raw price has been close to the price of a CGC 9.6. This auction will end at $330 max. Using the word "flawless" seems to work.

Dude uses the worde "hence" a lot.

I'm telling you man, I don't care what they say. I've seen nothing but White all last year. If what you say is true, than the Whites are not really that rare since that's all people have been selling. lol

You should be getting my books today.

I got 3 lots #1-70 that I want to sell eventually. Want first dibs? :headbang:

Well I always like 1st dibs :)

As far as the majority of sales being white the sales are too small a sample size to extrapolate the print run.

Well I always like 1st dibs :)

As far as the majority of sales being white the sales are too small a sample size to extrapolate the print run.

2 things:

First, I've been saying for a LONG time now that the Black version is more rare. Yes, I'm primarily using eBay as my source, but I've been observing that for at least the past 2 YEARS...

Second, that RAW copy isn't going to grade 9.8. You can see the top left corner is dinged in the picture. So it's a 9.6 at best, and probably a 9.4. 2c

And how many are in your sample size to extrapolate that the Black is more rare?

You are talented my friend as most can't tell a 9.4-9.8 by a picture like that. Maybe I'll buy it so we can test your grading skills :baiting:

And how many are in your sample size to extrapolate that the Black is more rare?

You are talented my friend as most can't tell a 9.4-9.8 by a picture like that. Maybe I'll buy it so we can test your grading skills :baiting:

Ok, I'll take the bait...

Well, to your first point the Central Limit Theorem that refers to the law of large numbers sample size mathematically kicks in at 30. Which to be fair is pretty small. (Yes, I was a math major in College.) I know my sample would easily be over 100, maybe even 200.

For a while when I was trying to buy my black version I had to wait over a month before one came up on eBay. I even posted here in the Want to Buy thread with no success. At that time there were routinely at least 10 to 15 WD #1 (white) for sale on eBay as it was a heavily traded book.

I just did a quick snapshot of eBay. I typed in Walking Dead into the search and got 5 pages of WD stuff. There were 6 WD white and Zero black. I know that doesn't prove anything, but if you need convincing you should try that yourself once a week and just compare. Let me know by PM if you EVER see more black for sale than white and I'll send you something WD related for your discovery.

To the second point, grading is always subjective and that's my opinion. Go for it! I'd love to see if I'm right. Here is his picture and the blunt I'm refering to. (shrug)

BnhSEvQBWkKGrHqIOKigEtjzJRohcBLjyuZ.jpg

Hey my graded 9.8 has a similar blunt on it also. Doesnt mean it didnt grade a 9.8 (shrug) Im still in class now, ill post up a pic of it later looking pretty similar to the picture shown. But i agree that the picture doesnt guarantee a 9.8 also.

To add to my post above...

I'm not currently nor do I plan to sell my black version. So I'm not trying to push the black as rare to raise a price or anything like that.

I also have the white version as well. So regardless I'm sitting pretty.

I'm just trying to share what I've seen/found with others here on the boards. I've learned a ton here, and it's nice to share info back with others. (thumbs u