• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

I can rest easy now they cast Shane

Why did they cast Shane's character first--he is gone after the 6th issue of the series, also Shane was a big guy this actor looks more like someone who should play Carl. (shrug)

maybe he was the easiet to negotiate with. or first one with no prior engagements.

or cheapest...this is not going to be an inexpesive project by any stretch of the imagination....and its only going to appeal to a certain public sector...can't see how their gonna make this work and still maintain the comic concept...a movie may well have been a better project canvas than an ongoing tv show 2c

I agree. A movie with sequels would have been more ideal, but I remember reading somewhere awhile back that he didn't want to make a movie. Sucks. It would have been awesome and I'm sure someone big would have picked up the project.

Wonder what the propaganda will be like for it as I have not seen anything yet.

I can rest easy now they cast Shane

Why did they cast Shane's character first--he is gone after the 6th issue of the series, also Shane was a big guy this actor looks more like someone who should play Carl. (shrug)

maybe he was the easiet to negotiate with. or first one with no prior engagements.

or cheapest...this is not going to be an inexpesive project by any stretch of the imagination....and its only going to appeal to a certain public sector...can't see how their gonna make this work and still maintain the comic concept...a movie may well have been a better project canvas than an ongoing tv show 2c

I agree. A movie with sequels would have been more ideal, but I remember reading somewhere awhile back that he didn't want to make a movie. Sucks. It would have been awesome and I'm sure someone big would have picked up the project.

Wonder what the propaganda will be like for it as I have not seen anything yet.

didn't want to make a movie??? well hes a fool to himself. thats where the big bucks are including merchandising...and thats when you can go cap in hand with the idea to the bigger movie producers telling them where the budget is...they know a winner when they see one and this is it...and movies/ sequels make money

problem with WD is the first few scenes are a direct steal from '28 Days Later', so even though it sets the tone from the off, i think they're gonna havta rethink the opening sequence...

didn't want to make a movie??? well hes a fool to himself. thats where the big bucks are including merchandising...and thats when you can go cap in hand with the idea to the bigger movie producers telling them where the budget is...they know a winner when they see one and this is it...and movies/ sequels make money

And if there's anything I've learned from this thread, it's that cash is way more important than content.

And if there's anything I've learned from this thread, it's that cash is way more important than content.

:popcorn:

i was talking about this on facebook with Darick Robertson...he and Garth Ennis and currently in talks with a big film company about the 'Boys' movie....no TV show for that project. it easier and more profitable to do a film/ sequels, reaches a bigger audience and they're going to be allowed 'complete artistic freedom'.

so you ask why Ennis isn't pushing for a Preacher movie. they've throw that comic book at all and sundry and the only interest that has been shown was by tv development companies. the big companies don't wanna produce a film where God gets

shot by a bounty hunter at the end after taking a brief vacation from running the universe

...aparently too many Americans would be offended and the Catholic church would be none to happy as well.

the Walking Dead should be produced as a movie....

:popcorn:

Everything I need to know in life I learned from the Wu-Tang Clan.

M015XXLTS.jpg

what are you talking about??? of course it's important when it comes to producing movies....remember Smallville starting off with so much promise??? then we got down to 'budget'..... only one quick special effect an episode, right at the end....made for enjoyable watching...NOT! it became boring...who wants to watch Superman not uses his powers...so when it comes to large productions with lots of special effects 'cash is important', the 'content' for the Walking Dead is already there...

Anyone who thinks you can make a ton of money through TV hasn't been paying attention to the last 2 decades.

Larry David $500 million from Syndication

Jerry Seinfeld $500 million from Syndication

Baywatch (BAYWATCH!!!! of all things) Billions in revenue over it's run.

Any show that can last 5 seasons (guaranteeing enough episodes for a syndication deal) will attain anywhere from $50 million to $500 million for it's creators.

Hell Drew Carey got paid almost $100 million in his deal.

The only people that make serious money on motion picture are movie execs.

Anyone who thinks you can make a ton of money through TV hasn't been paying attention to the last 2 decades.

Any show that can last 5 seasons (guaranteeing enough episodes for a syndication deal) will attain anywhere from $50 million to $500 million for it's creators.

:applause:

what are you talking about??? of course it's important when it comes to producing movies....remember Smallville starting off with so much promise??? then we got down to 'budget'..... only one quick special effect an episode, right at the end....made for enjoyable watching...NOT! it became boring...who wants to watch Superman not uses his powers...so when it comes to large productions with lots of special effects 'cash is important', the 'content' for the Walking Dead is already there...

And if the creator doesn't want to compromise his vision to fit into a 2-hour movie?

Ahahaha, <3 for TJ

again, good point, however, any of the shows you described you can sit down and watch without having seen any before....so season 3, episode 5 of Seinfeld...i can sit down...watch it....not have seen the previous 30 shows and still enjoy it...season 3, episode 5 of the Walking Dead...perhaps its the tension building up to the breach of the prison walls, by the Guv'nor...i wouldn't have a clue what was going on and without money/ special effects id probably just turn back over to that seinfeld rerun....

Syndication, in my opnion wouldn't work with this project...2c

again, good point, however, any of the shows you described you can sit down and watch without having seen any before....so season 3, episode 5 of Seinfeld...i can sit down...watch it....not have seen the previous 30 shows and still enjoy it...season 3, episode 5 of the Walking Dead...perhaps its the tension building up to the breach of the prison walls, by the Guv'nor...i wouldn't have a clue what was going on and without money/ special effects id probably just turn back over to that seinfeld rerun....

Syndication, in my opnion wouldn't work with this project...2c

I agree with this but if you take a show like Sopranos you can watch any episode and still be entertained--it does help if you watch from the beginning. But you can still enjoy a show if it is written and produced well.