• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118017032.html?categoryid=14&cs=1

AMC orders 'Walking Dead' to series

Frank Darabont directed drama to bow in October

By CYNTHIA LITTLETON

AMC has given a series greenlight to "The Walking Dead," the Frank Darabont-helmed adaptation of the Image Comics series by Robert Kirkman.

AMC has ordered a total of six episodes of the series that revolves around a group of survivors of a zombie apocalypse. Darabont penned and directed the pilot and will exec produce with Kirkman, Gale Anne Hurd of Valhalla Motion Pictures and David Alpert of Circle of Confusion, which will be funded entirely inhouse by AMC parent Rainbow Media. Charles Eglee, a seasoned TV drama showrunner, has also boarded the project as an exec producer.

"Dead" is targeted to preem in October, dovetailing with Halloween and AMC's annual "Fearfest" two-week marathon of horror and thriller pics.

Jon Bernthal ("The Pacific") has been cast in a lead role. The series revolves around police officer Rick Grimes, who leads a group of human survivors on a search for a safe home in a world overrun by zombies. AMC greenlighted production of a "Walking Dead" pilot back in January but ultimately decided to go straight to series after hearing Darabont's vision for a six-episode arc, and because of the desire to tie in with "Fearfest."

"He's taken the baseline road map of the underlying material and just blew it out to the next level," said Joel Stillerman, AMC's senior veep of programming, production and digital content. "There's stuff in there that will make the people who love the comics very happy and some surprises in there as well."

AMC prexy and g.m. Charlie Collier noted that "Dead" marks AMC's first foray into full ownership of one of its series. "With Frank and Gale and their entire team invested in this project, we also wanted to be fully invested in this project," he said.

Stillerman added that the property is likely to have "huge international value."

Now all I need to know is when it will be over this way

Shouldn't be much after it airs in the States. You'll probably find someone like FX will pick it up.

I think it depends on the popularity. You'd get 24, Lost and stuff like that virtually stright away, whereas series' like Dexter, early Prison Break and True Blood were quite a way behind on obscure channels. Once Sky One pick them up you'll get them straight away.

hulu only works in the us . I use to live in Canada and hulu didn;t even work there so i'm sure it wont work in the UK . 1st season will only be 6 eps , SO i'm sure they won;t have to wait that long for the DVD to come out

You're right Hulu does not work over here as it gets annoying when people post links to it on boards. I'm just hoping that it gets picked up by Sky One as like Gav said they tend to show the programme almost simultaneously with the US :wishluck: