• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

Abraham was

a bit of a in this one eh?.. Whats funny is it just does not seem at all like him.... Hes always seemed like a cool guy but now hes slowly turning into a jerk lol If he was that woman hungry & sex starved or whatever the hell lol ... you think he would be trying to set up orgy or something between the two (shrug):roflmao: But no he is all you are not the only woman out there I know that now! :juggle:

Guess I should go pick up all my copies and check the condition. As far as the ratio of variant to regular covers and why some stores had copies in 1:1 and others had none? The variant as far as I know was not solicited initially in Previews. My LCS asked me about a week before the order cut off if I wanted any. I assume it was 1 variant per regular ordered since I was only allowed 10 copies.

Guess I should go pick up all my copies and check the condition. As far as the ratio of variant to regular covers and why some stores had copies in 1:1 and others had none? The variant as far as I know was not solicited initially in Previews. My LCS asked me about a week before the order cut off if I wanted any. I assume it was 1 variant per regular ordered since I was only allowed 10 copies.

As always thank you for your information. Finding out quickly you are one of the best sources and resources on these boards for comics and info.

Check out this WD #1 9.9 SS which is the only one, on ebay. It started at 9.99 last night (Sunday night).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130522437441&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

He is a good guy. Previously turned down $2500.

Ouch. He took a bit of a hit.

man that sucks for him. i was quite shocked at the final price. a batman 608 rrp 9.8 blue label is worth more at the moment and i am quite shocked.

Woah, I know I'm late, but why's a 9.8 batman 608 worth so much?! I thought the hottest modern out there cost about $500 (Shield partial sketch variant, Siege #3 Campbell variant and Uncanny X-Men #510 partial sketch variant comes to mind)

Sorry for being off topic, I'm just so shocked. Talking about TWD, I've only read till the HC vol 4. Maybe I can share how it feels reading TWD from a HC format. It's really quite addictive to be able to spam issue after issue and sure felt like it ended way too fast. Initially, I felt there wasn't enough conversation but I think the conversation picked up quite a bit and it's really quite interesting to see how the story turned out. Can't wait to read more! :)

from what i can gather is some people are disappointed that the biggest independent comic is succumbing to marvelitis. the "milk the bone dry" (take that how you will).

i was all over the variants until i felt that the purpose of the variants were not aimed at collectors but more of a "make money at the expense of collectors". so i sold all of mine.

i'll be getting just the regular issues from here on out.

but that is just me.

I don't think Kirkman has changed as a writer. I think the audience reading the book has changed and with that expectations have changed.

This book has had plenty of slow moments over the years. That's done to create more powerful emotions when events/deaths occur.

Lots of current readers have caught up through TPB. The slow points don't feel as slow if you read 1- 60 in TPB form. Since you didn't have to wait you didn't feel it, but now you do reading it monthly.

Plus, with the popularity we now have more Marvel and DC fans reading the book. Those readers are typically conditioned to the EVENT followed by another EVENT followed by EVENT mentality. Marvel and DC just have the formula down that they can do EVENTS and character building because you have to read multiple titles to get the whole story. (DC: How many Green Lantern events were there? One for each ring color until Blackest Night, Brightest Day, and several Green Lantern monthly comics. MARVEL: How many Avengers books are there now? Plus, each character has there own title, plus the events have there own title.)

Whereas, the WD is a self contained 1 title that has to do everything. Kirkman is still one of, if not THE best writer in comics today. imho. (thumbs u

I can accept that he's trying to cash in on his book while its popular. I would too. Plus, I don't have to buy every variant. 2c

We can agree to disagree about Kirkman. I think he has changed. He probably has way less time to devote to the book and I think it shows. He sets up storylines and doesn't follow through. Remember the hunters? That ended kinda lamely. They were badass hunters and then they get killed off really easily. What about the horde of zombies? Yeah, they got killed off easily too. I dunno. It just feels like it is going through the motions now.

Slow points aren't what I am talking about. I don't need zombies and killing in every issue. Just make it interesting. This issue is a perfect example. It was uninteresting. Don't take my word for it. Look at the Image forums. It hardly registered a blip on the radar.

I have been complaining for like 3 years about this series. Yet, I stick with it. :( I am not sure how much longer that will continue for.

from what i can gather is some people are disappointed that the biggest independent comic is succumbing to marvelitis. the "milk the bone dry" (take that how you will).

i was all over the variants until i felt that the purpose of the variants were not aimed at collectors but more of a "make money at the expense of collectors". so i sold all of mine.

i'll be getting just the regular issues from here on out.

but that is just me.

Yeah, everyone was telling me that the Walking Dead weekly was supposed to be a good starting point for new readers who became interested because of the show. BulllShhh. It was a money grab. It would seem like people who want to catch up (because of the show) would be best suited to get the tpb's. Why wait a week between issues? It was just to bleed us dry. To me, that was the start of the end of TWD...

I might have to write a letter to the editor. :)

Alot you never talk about the concerning quality of the televsion show either. I enjoyed it's efforts last Halloween, but it wore out it's welcome too fast. It still has alot of promise though. I like it's gritty feel, a couple of new characters were great and it didn't follow to exactly to the book in an effort to be different. But, like all TV, it had way too many dumb moments, you wouldn't expect from the brand either. Civilization has just collapsed, but bigots can still be bigots, despite the fact it's apparent everyone needs one another and differences would have been set aside in real life, I think. That petty felt like it was wasting my time with cliches. Why did Merle cut off his whole hand, when he could have just cut off his thumb to get out of his handcuffs? Why did they hire the brilliant Jones Lennie James to play Morgan intensely different at first, then let him play the Morgan we all know, the one who can't shoot his loved ones. Then there is the "mad" scientist in the bunker. Not to mention the underwhelming ending as the camper drives off in the sunset.

I want to ask you guys, what's the most memorable moment for you from the series? hm

Doesn't the series have a few? Most will say Atlanta or the zombie attack at the camp(been there, done that in the floppy), but shouldn't the last episode have had one to make everyone want more? I guess to me this is Kirkman/Darabont dropping the ball. I just hope this isn't the reason why the comic has felt bland and routine through a few arcs. My 2c

I don't think Kirkman has changed as a writer. I think the audience reading the book has changed and with that expectations have changed.

This book has had plenty of slow moments over the years. That's done to create more powerful emotions when events/deaths occur.

Lots of current readers have caught up through TPB. The slow points don't feel as slow if you read 1- 60 in TPB form. Since you didn't have to wait you didn't feel it, but now you do reading it monthly.

Plus, with the popularity we now have more Marvel and DC fans reading the book. Those readers are typically conditioned to the EVENT followed by another EVENT followed by EVENT mentality. Marvel and DC just have the formula down that they can do EVENTS and character building because you have to read multiple titles to get the whole story. (DC: How many Green Lantern events were there? One for each ring color until Blackest Night, Brightest Day, and several Green Lantern monthly comics. MARVEL: How many Avengers books are there now? Plus, each character has there own title, plus the events have there own title.)

Whereas, the WD is a self contained 1 title that has to do everything. Kirkman is still one of, if not THE best writer in comics today. imho. (thumbs u

I can accept that he's trying to cash in on his book while its popular. I would too. Plus, I don't have to buy every variant. 2c

We can agree to disagree about Kirkman. I think he has changed. He probably has way less time to devote to the book and I think it shows. He sets up storylines and doesn't follow through. Remember the hunters? That ended kinda lamely. They were badass hunters and then they get killed off really easily. What about the horde of zombies? Yeah, they got killed off easily too. I dunno. It just feels like it is going through the motions now.

Both of these are good examples of what I'm talking about. For both of those "events" they had the # of the arc printed on the cover. "Fear the Hunters part 3" or "No Way Out part 2" etc...) imho, that can lessen the story quality, but it shows they realize their audience has changed.

I remember reading Kirkman say that he HATED doing that. But he was forced to do it because that's what readers (from MARVEL+DC) are conditioned to expect. It takes away some of the suspense for me. Since you can pace it out while reading it (Kirkman also gave that as a reason he didn't want to do it).

As far as ending lamely, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. I'm not going to try to change anyones mind. But I felt the point of the hunters finale was to show the strength of Rick's group now, and it was a good ending. The finale of the No Way Out arc reminded me of "300" with the zombies forced to enter through a particular hole in the fence. So it did make sense they could band together and win. (shrug)

Slow points aren't what I am talking about. I don't need zombies and killing in every issue. Just make it interesting. This issue is a perfect example. It was uninteresting. Don't take my word for it. Look at the Image forums. It hardly registered a blip on the radar.

I have been complaining for like 3 years about this series. Yet, I stick with it. :( I am not sure how much longer that will continue for.

Oh, and + 1 on your other post about the Weekly issues. (thumbs u

I think they would have been a great idea if they were $1 each. But charging cover price and claiming it's a way for new readers to catch up is ridiculous. The TPB are sitting right there in the LCS or bookstore for less $ than buying the weeklys. 2c

Memorable scenes for me were body bags at the hospital, rick in/around the tank, rick ripping up guts to spread on themselves, jim being left. Me and my gf enjoyed the show and look forward to next season.

The bigotedness wasn't needed, but it would still exist if a zombie apocalypse happened. I also didn't enjoy the grenade explosion (looked bad), though i liked the idea of it. Most of my problems with the show are minor.

As for the comic, storywise i haven't had any problems (altho i wouldn't mind some settling down and expanding of characters) and i look forward to the 3 books coming.

Alot you never talk about the concerning quality of the televsion show either. I enjoyed it's efforts last Halloween, but it wore out it's welcome too fast. It still has alot of promise though. I like it's gritty feel, a couple of new characters were great and it didn't follow to exactly to the book in an effort to be different. But, like all TV, it had way too many dumb moments, you wouldn't expect from the brand either. Civilization has just collapsed, but bigots can still be bigots, despite the fact it's apparent everyone needs one another and differences would have been set aside in real life, I think. That petty felt like it was wasting my time with cliches. Why did Merle cut off his whole hand, when he could have just cut off his thumb to get out of his handcuffs? Why did they hire the brilliant Jones Lennie James to play Morgan intensely different at first, then let him play the Morgan we all know, the one who can't shoot his loved ones. Then there is the "mad" scientist in the bunker. Not to mention the underwhelming ending as the camper drives off in the sunset.

I want to ask you guys, what's the most memorable moment for you from the series? hm

Doesn't the series have a few? Most will say Atlanta or the zombie attack at the camp(been there, done that in the floppy), but shouldn't the last episode have had one to make everyone want more? I guess to me this is Kirkman/Darabont dropping the ball. I just hope this isn't the reason why the comic has felt bland and routine through a few arcs. My 2c

forget about the hand he could have just cut the pipe

The last episode did have a memorable moment....the doctor whispering into ricks ear. If that isn't memorable, you smoke too much weed. lol

The last episode did have a memorable moment....the doctor whispering into ricks ear. If that isn't memorable, you smoke too much weed. lol

I am sure most people will have to be reminded of that. And I don't smoke weed.

+1

I know a few people who watched the show, that haven't read the comic. When talking about the last episode they had forgotten that scene. It was a minor blip on their radar.

On the other hand, the people who have read the comic immediately thought he told Rick Lori is pregnant since he gave them all a blood test. It was a bigger moment if you know the story.

Anyone got any weed?