• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

Did you guys get what i was blabbing on about regarding the black vs white "label"? Im sure you did but, just to be clear, I was referring to the Mature Readers writing on #1. Im terrible at writing what im thinking... doh!

A warning label, on a comic? That is inconceivable!!! :ohnoez:

Oh yeah we understood, that topic as been discussed and beaten to death. Really neither one is considered more rare or worth more than the other from what I have seen for completed sales over the last year.

Did you guys get what i was blabbing on about regarding the black vs white "label"? Im sure you did but, just to be clear, I was referring to the Mature Readers writing on #1. Im terrible at writing what im thinking... doh!

Go through the TWD # 1 club and do a count ;)

Edited by Thomas Nielsen

Here is an explanation I've given in the past. It comes up so frequently I've saved the post. Hope this is helpful. ;)

It was always suppose to be a white warning with a black outline.

When they went to print there was a mistake with the printer and instead of printing the black 1st and then the white overtop the process was backwards. So the white went 1st and then the black completely covered the white lettering.

So the black version was printed 1st.

During the printing process the mistake was realized and they stopped printing and fixed it. Kirkman wanted the white version because he thinks it's cooler looking.

Since it happened this way, the black copies were shipped together to stores and likewise for the whites. So no one knew in the early days there were 2 variants. Since all the books at the LCS would have been the same in your area. With no knowledge there were variants + the indicas inside the books being the same they were graded by CGC without distinction from the start. It doesn't make sense for them to try and change it now. 2c

There have been estimates about how many of each there are but the truth is no one knows for sure. Kirkman has said he believes there are less of the white version but eBay listings consistently point the other way.

Bottom line. No one knows which is more rare, and therefore neither gets the price bump in demand. Don't pay more for either copy. Just be glad to own a WD #1.

People on here joke all the time with each other about it. The Black owners say they have the 1st print and the white is a reprint. lol While White owners say they have the rare copy cause Kirkman said so. :sumo:

Total print run was 7,266. Source: http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2003/2003-10.html

Random post:

Is it true #2 had a lower print run than #1?

Yes, WD #2 had a print run of 6,067 (November 2003).

Give a man a fish, he eats for a day.

Teach a man to fish, well I'm sure you've heard that one before. Here is a site I use when I'm curious about print runs: http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales.html (thumbs u

and #2 2nd print has about half that run.

just got done reading issue 93. i love the cover, but the story didn't really go anywhere. first they leave and rick is sure some other group is coming for them, then all of a sudden he pulls a 180?

Issue 93 was a little dry I guess for me but I'm excited to see where it goes.

just got done reading issue 93. i love the cover, but the story didn't really go anywhere. first they leave and rick is sure some other group is coming for them, then all of a sudden he pulls a 180?

me too. i like the idea of connected communites

Yes sir, I'm wondering if Eugene is going to start reloading ammo and using that to trade with the other group? Paul did mention ammo?

Yes sir, I'm wondering if Eugene is going to start reloading ammo and using that to trade with the other group? Paul did mention ammo?

that was the best part of the issue. the idea of them not having to look for ammo, but make it. i'd love to see the book become more about re-building the world. of course, the madmax crazies can still show up occasionally.

that was the best part of the issue. the idea of them not having to look for ammo, but make it. i'd love to see the book become more about re-building the world. of course, the madmax crazies can still show up occasionally.

I also liked the idea of the group finally trying to grow food as well.

Yeah, it's called Tribes on Spore.

Yeah, it's called Tribes on Spore.

let's hope not, as that's a horrible name.