• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

I think the variants are a very big deal because the only place you can buy a lot of them are on Ebay for 5 or 6 hundred bucks. So, who do you think are getting firs dibs at these new variants? If Image was going to put out so many variants they should have all been placed at the same time so everyone could plan to get one. You buy 200 regular issues to get 1 variant at cover price ant that is $700 and your variant sells on Ebay for 188.00 your regular editions sell for 2.00 each and you have made a total of 588.00 when you paid out 700. On the other had these other variants pop out of nowhere and sell for 400.00 each and 3 or 4 people on Ebay are selling them, that is non sense. Image always do this every convention they have more and more variants and it dilutes the real issues. Now, if those secret variants had not come out the 200 book retail incentive would have been selling for 500 to 600.00 but the new variants have hurt the old ones. There is nothing to do but try and flip this book because to be honest the story sucked. There are so many thought provoking books out there right now that are being overlook over a book like this... this entire event is for flipping. See if you sell comics you probably sold 200 issues of WD100 very easy, you then get a variant and you sell it for 188.00 you are smiling and happy. The convention people and insiders get the other variants and sell them for 400 or 500 they are happy but the collector gets nothing. But, if all the variants are put out at the same time the collector has a much better chance of getting the books he or she wants. It looks like Image is reverting to the Image of old... For anyone who does not remember, Image was huuuuge back in the day and then they faded due to gimmicks like this, and it looks like it may be happening again. That is why I am a big fan of Brian K. Vaughan, I have never know any of his books to have a variant ... one and done... on Y, the last man, Saga, or any of his titles, he even measures his conventions. I know sometimes these tactics seem rigid but in the end they do protect value to the real collector. In my opinion The Walking Dead Weekly was also a variant gimmick. [/quote

Not to be a jerk, but Saga had a Diamond exclusive RRP that was distributed to select retailers at C2E2. I unerstand the frustration. All the double top secret variants make it difficult to know when and where to spend your cash. It is frustrating to say the least.

Which walking dead are you talking about? 1. The early walking dead, 2. The TV series Walking dead, 3. The Walking Dead before Rick lost his hand? This series has had a lot of different twists and it is not the same book it was during early issues. Now, if you want to catch up on the story just go online and read the issues, anyone can do that ... at anytime. There are a lot of Novels about zombies out there... I enjoyed WWZ, if I want a novel I can buy a novel or audio books. I buy comics for the art work first...Walking Dead is just a single Title in my collection... nothing more it is not my favorite or even in my top 50 books... I have issues the show came out and they started getting hot so... I have interest but it is by no means one of my top books it is a good book.

The answer lies in the subject title.

I will ask this question if it is so much about the read how are we letting so many good books die? There are a ton of fantastic stories that are not getting the acclaim they deserve...Why? Because we are unable to flip them.

You must be joking.

Edited by Phillip

You just have to do what makes you happy. If having all the variants is what's going to do it for you, then the money shouldn't make a difference, you are getting your enjoyment. If you don't have the money, you just have to choose the books that will make you the happiest and move on. When it comes to the rarer variants, you do run the risk that you'll lose money on buying them. Walking dead 100 1:200 is just one of those books. There are probably around 1500 or more of them, plus 500 comixology, plus another 500 or so retailer thank you books. 2500 "scarce" variants, plus 330,000 regular copies, on a book that was selling in the 60-70k range normally. That's just too many "manufactured" collectibles in the market for too few dollars. One variant had to suffer, it was the least rare of the bunch.

Sorry to hear it sounds like you "lost money" on the 1:200, but for modern books you really can't view them as an investment. If you want to invest, go with history and track record. Put the $700 toward a wd 1 or 2 if you want safe. There is too much risk is in the "new" variant game. Look at all the people who threw $70 each on the ghost variant. That will settle into a $10-15 book in a month.

Oh, and reading time does fly by..... I'm paying about $2 a min for the reading enjoyment of the book. Not to mention having to drive out and drive back. No wonder comics are getting less and less popular. You can get a paperback book for $8 and it takes 20 hours or more of entertainment.

Still love the comic and I think it is the best thing to spread the love of TWD.

I started buying 3 per month, 1 reader and 2 that are stored.

I leave the reader when I have finished in the staff room at work.

Always get read by a bunch of people, some of whom have gone on to become regular buyers.

I ignore variants usually but bought the 'common' variants for #100 just because I liked the different covers.

I think the 'Ghost' cover rocks, and will happily get that as I like it.

But pay $200+ for some other type - not for me.

I get why some do, but I'm happy with ordinary unless a really awesome variant cover is released.

Andy

I hadn't read WD since issue 95, been picking up the issues though and finally read up to issue 101 last night.

Holy :censored:!!

I think the last time I felt like this way was when Lori was killed. I didn't like the way Glenn died, too sad and agonizing. I think it's stupid for whoever that guy was who killed him (didn't pay attention to names), he should have killed them all except for Maggie and Sophia and sent them back with the message to submit or else, especially since he seemed to know Rick was the leader. Dumb.

I also can't stand Carl anymore and it's probably because of my view of him in the TV show, kill him off already, he should have died when he got shot in the face or at least have some nerve/brain damage. It would have been more interesting if Carl had become a vegetable and have Rick deal with what he should do to take care of him.

rantrant

Hello all, I figured this would be the best place to go since you all are more up on the Walking Dead books than I am at this point. If this is an inappropriate place to post this inquiry please point me in the right direction.

I am going to be selling off my Walking Dead run (2-85) but I have absolutely no idea of the current value of the books. Since they are so volatile the OSPG is pretty much useless and since they are all raw GPA isn't all that helpful either.. Is there anyone who would be willing to help me with coming up with appropriate pricing for these books? In order to keep this thread clean please reply to this post via PM.

Hello all, I figured this would be the best place to go since you all are more up on the Walking Dead books than I am at this point. If this is an inappropriate place to post this inquiry please point me in the right direction.

I am going to be selling off my Walking Dead run (2-85) but I have absolutely no idea of the current value of the books. Since they are so volatile the OSPG is pretty much useless and since they are all raw GPA isn't all that helpful either.. Is there anyone who would be willing to help me with coming up with appropriate pricing for these books? In order to keep this thread clean please reply to this post via PM.

look on ebay completed listings.

About $9.26 at current prices.

I'll go to $10 if it helps :whistle:

I also can't stand Carl anymore and it's probably because of my view of him in the TV show, kill him off already, he should have died when he got shot in the face or at least have some nerve/brain damage. It would have been more interesting if Carl had become a vegetable and have Rick deal with what he should do to take care of him.

rantrant

carl is horrible on the tv show, and absolutely great in the book, and he was especially GREAT in issue #101

Edited by Hawkman

yea - carl as a vegetable would at least make it easier for CA to draw and maybe focus more on other panels lol

lol seriously though -- the show has really been a bit drawn out - and at times downright boring for me -- i think it speaks more towards the other dreck on tv than it does of the quality of the show that TWD is probably the best thing on TV..

i do think season 3 will be a monster season though - more artistic freedom, bigger budget, more trust from the networks...

Did anyone else notice that the original art to 85 page 14 & 15 is gone from splashpageart? Sold for 2K! Holy ! Not to mention all the other art that has been purchased in the last few weeks.

The Nowell Brothers have been on a tear lately, if that's a black hole collection it is really going to limit the amount of quality stuff on the market. It also makes Tony M's asking prices a little bit more reasonable.

Personally, I sold my one piece of small art and won't buy any again. Just 11x17 pages from now on and covers. :wishluck:

Jim

I disagree on the TM pages being reasonable - 5k is excessive for an interior page if it doesnt have a name even a non-comic guy will recognize...5k...thats quite the stack of cash there -- on a run of the mill page!

ive spoken to quite a few people on this point - a few think the pages will be the new grail pages in 20 years - that they will be worth 30 grand plus --

i disagree - perhaps one, two, 10 of them may well be -- but - TM is not a pioneer of any particular style or revolution in the game - credit where it is due - he is a superb artist - but...he just happened to draw on a wildly successful comic -- remember - we are buying at the absolute apex of the series - i really dont see it sustaining this kind of momentum and following much longer - the blowover will happen after the tv series dies off in a few seasons, and after the movie --

take for example an artist like tommy castillo who in my humble opinion is better than TM -- his art from toe tags is still in the hundreds range -- why - bc the book wasnt all that great..artwork was fantastic though!

who knows, it might spawn a 007 type following where every few years another installment comes out --

more likely - i think - as seen with the decline in quality of art and writing (IMHO) I think the series will be run to the ground in the next 25-50 issues...or 2-4 years which is my projection for when the artwork will take a rapid decline in price..

or - as other big books go - a new artist / spin off will come out to continue the series and keep it fresh...which still results in market sustainability for CA and TM art but I still dont think it will be to the same degree it is now..

its tough for me though - because i love collecting the artwork - i have an appreciation for it - even if it declines in value -- which is an internal struggle i am having between selling and buying..

look i hope i am wrong - it only helps us, people who got in early with artwork, the artists, and the industry as a whole if it continues on as strongly..

Edited by Jerry S

more likely - i think - as seen with the decline in quality of art and writing (IMHO) I think the series will be run to the ground in the next 25-50 issues...or 2-4 years which is my projection for when the artwork will take a rapid decline in price..

tony's art tho has never declined, and his WD art won't (at least as far as quality)