• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,454 posts in this topic

no question TMs art will always be more than CA -- his is just better, and earlier - which always means more money/value -- but I think the pages will slip in value -- or will just slip to such a small market of interest that maybe a few hundred people in the world will be interested in..but to a point...600..sure....1500..maybe...5000 for an ordinary page..no way.....maybe that range on a first appearance or memorable page from a memorialized scene (from the show or a movie or something)

Edited by Jerry S

no question TMs art will always be more than CA -- his is just better, and earlier - which always means more money/value -- but I think the pages will slip in value -- or will just slip to such a small market of interest that maybe a few hundred people in the world will be interested in..but to a point...600..sure....1500..maybe...5000 for an ordinary page..no way.....maybe that range on a first appearance or memorable page from a memorialized scene (from the show or a movie or something)

They will never slip in value since they will never hit the market at those lower amounts. Tony and Kara Moore will keep the artwork before letting it go in a firesale. The biggest factor is that they do not care to actually sell any of it.

They will never slip in value since they will never hit the market at those lower amounts. Tony and Kara Moore will keep the artwork before letting it go in a firesale. The biggest factor is that they do not care to actually sell any of it.

not true - there was a brief period where he was selling pages - i believe on this very forum? or another i forget -- and he actually was putting them on ebay -- and they were going for less than 750 dollars --

his prices only jumped up in the last 2 years - and they went from around the $1000 range (reasonable) to the prices they are now -- they really havent had a gradual progression upward..

also that whole "i wont sell bc of principle" is a crock of -- he wont sell bc he wants more money - which i respect -- but if he is willing to sell for 5k, he is willing to sell for 500 -- introduce him to a crackpipe and he will sell it for a nicklebag.

when times get tough - he will sell for less -- or who knows, maybe more..

i can tell you one thing - someone with a lot more money than me can come along and very well choke the market by buying every page from him -- im sure TM will sell the whole collection for a 100k payday...

Edited by Jerry S

I disagree on the TM pages being reasonable - 5k is excessive for an interior page if it doesnt have a name even a non-comic guy will recognize...5k...thats quite the stack of cash there -- on a run of the mill page!

ive spoken to quite a few people on this point - a few think the pages will be the new grail pages in 20 years - that they will be worth 30 grand plus --

i disagree - perhaps one, two, 10 of them may well be -- but - TM is not a pioneer of any particular style or revolution in the game - credit where it is due - he is a superb artist - but...he just happened to draw on a wildly successful comic -- remember - we are buying at the absolute apex of the series - i really dont see it sustaining this kind of momentum and following much longer - the blowover will happen after the tv series dies off in a few seasons, and after the movie --

take for example an artist like tommy castillo who in my humble opinion is better than TM -- his art from toe tags is still in the hundreds range -- why - bc the book wasnt all that great..artwork was fantastic though!

who knows, it might spawn a 007 type following where every few years another installment comes out --

more likely - i think - as seen with the decline in quality of art and writing (IMHO) I think the series will be run to the ground in the next 25-50 issues...or 2-4 years which is my projection for when the artwork will take a rapid decline in price..

or - as other big books go - a new artist / spin off will come out to continue the series and keep it fresh...which still results in market sustainability for CA and TM art but I still dont think it will be to the same degree it is now..

its tough for me though - because i love collecting the artwork - i have an appreciation for it - even if it declines in value -- which is an internal struggle i am having between selling and buying..

look i hope i am wrong - it only helps us, people who got in early with artwork, the artists, and the industry as a whole if it continues on as strongly..

We aren't - nowhere near.

Season 3 and 4 will set viewing records around the world.

The next 2 years will be a ride and a half.

After that is anyones guess.

I'm keeping my run for as long as I love the comic/show - when that ends I will have a think.

WTF?

No they won't - more popular than Friends, ER, whatever? You must be joking.

It hasn't even made its way off late nights on Fiver in the UK yet, and there's a decent fanbase of the comics here for the show to leverage.

WTF?

No they won't - more popular than Friends, ER, whatever? You must be joking.

It hasn't even made its way off late nights on Fiver in the UK yet, and there's a decent fanbase of the comics here for the show to leverage.

On cable dude, on cable - as it did for AMC.

Its not in BBC teritory yet!

not true - there was a brief period where he was selling pages - i believe on this very forum? or another i forget -- and he actually was putting them on ebay -- and they were going for less than 750 dollars --

his prices only jumped up in the last 2 years - and they went from around the $1000 range (reasonable) to the prices they are now -- they really havent had a gradual progression upward..

also that whole "i wont sell bc of principle" is a crock of -- he wont sell bc he wants more money - which i respect -- but if he is willing to sell for 5k, he is willing to sell for 500 -- introduce him to a crackpipe and he will sell it for a nicklebag.

when times get tough - he will sell for less -- or who knows, maybe more..

i can tell you one thing - someone with a lot more money than me can come along and very well choke the market by buying every page from him -- im sure TM will sell the whole collection for a 100k payday...

I'm going to meet up with Kara and Tony on Thursday. I will offer them 100k cash for the rest of the panel pages they have, I bet you no way in hell do they accept. :screwy:

Jim

Easy to talk about but when you come with a bank check for 100k I think they would have to think pretty hard about the decision..

I was just saying that there is always a tipping point to sell the artwork - right now its the 5k range -- and that someone could come in with a big check and buy it all up --

if his situation changes - those pages are like a bank account - I could see him needing money quickly and being forced to sell...especially if in a few years the WD franchise starts to lose its base / following..

Easy to talk about but when you come with a bank check for 100k I think they would have to think pretty hard about the decision..

I was just saying that there is always a tipping point to sell the artwork - right now its the 5k range -- and that someone could come in with a big check and buy it all up --

if his situation changes - those pages are like a bank account - I could see him needing money quickly and being forced to sell...especially if in a few years the WD franchise starts to lose its base / following..

If the franchise loses its base I reckon the pages will decrease in value as much as Sandman pages have over the years :P (I'm not stating a preference, but the book is a modern classic already.)

It's just seems unusual for the value to be realised so quickly.

...but I agree most people have their price and circumstance can change it. If anyone that was a big enough fan won a stupid amount of lottery money the pages would be gone.

I agree that everything is for sale, they have approximately 100 pages still left. When the asking prices are between 6k-12k per page, I don't think they'll wholesale them out at a grand a page. Not when they think they are sitting on a million dollars of art.

Anything can happen in the future but right now that is not the case. Like I said I'll ask on Thursday, and if they say yes :wishluck: I'll have a bank draft with there names on it within an hour.

Jim

Just checked Tony's website. Most of the good ones have been already sold. I only see a couple pages with zombies and probably the best page they still have is when Carl pops Shane.

I wouldn't buy any for what they are asking.

Just checked Tony's website. Most of the good ones have been already sold. I only see a couple pages with zombies and probably the best page they still have is when Carl pops Shane.

I wouldn't buy any for what they are asking.

You think they have their good stuff up on the site?