• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

Same with #19.

I know there's a lot of people here saying prices will drop soon, but I'll mark this post and say once 10/13 rolls around, #19 and others will SKYROCKET.

You guys have to understand theres an entire population of fans who aren't into the comics (yet), and still only know Michonne from the 3 second clip from the season 2 finale. Once she's part of the cast next season, people will be scrambling to get more.

I strongly disagree. The current WD back issues market is all speculators and investors - it's not driven by casual collectors, new readers, or people who were introduced to the comic book through the TV show because none of those people would be willing to pay, say, $2,000 for a WD #1 in 9.8 when they can grab a TPB collection for $15 instead.

Imho, what we're currently seeing is an almost perfect storm - it's investors selling to speculators selling back to investors because anyone but the most rabid collector is completely priced out of the back issues market by now.

I'm not complaining about this - I, just like so many others on this board, have made a boat-load of money off WD ever since the prices started sky-rocketing - but, on the other hand, I think it's silly to think that this book has nowhere to go but up. At some point this bubble is going to burst - it's just a matter of time.

Same with #19.

I know there's a lot of people here saying prices will drop soon, but I'll mark this post and say once 10/13 rolls around, #19 and others will SKYROCKET.

You guys have to understand theres an entire population of fans who aren't into the comics (yet), and still only know Michonne from the 3 second clip from the season 2 finale. Once she's part of the cast next season, people will be scrambling to get more.

I strongly disagree. The current WD back issues market is all speculators and investors - it's not driven by casual collectors, new readers, or people who were introduced to the comic book through the TV show because none of those people would be willing to pay, say, $2,000 for a WD #1 in 9.8 when they can grab a TPB collection for $15 instead.

Imho, what we're currently seeing is an almost perfect storm - it's investors selling to speculators selling back to investors because anyone but the most rabid collector is completely priced out of the back issues market by now.

I'm not complaining about this - I, just like so many others on this board, have made a boat-load of money off WD ever since the prices started sky-rocketing - but, on the other hand, I think it's silly to think that this book has nowhere to go but up. At some point this bubble is going to burst - it's just a matter of time.

+1

Same with #19.

+1

Disagree -1

Don't get me wrong, I too feel the prices will go down at some point as this won't "not be going anywhere but up" like you state.

However come October, they will definitely not be down. They'll be up. Now granted, I take it after the season has been on a month or two, prices will probably start dropping again. But to think that prices will just remain the same once the explosion of the season 3 hits the airwaves is being a bit cynical and/or naive in my usually-horribly-incorrect opinion :D

Edited by roastedbagel

Don't get me wrong, I too feel the prices will go down at some point as this won't "not be going anywhere but up" like you state.

However come October, they will definitely not be down. They'll be up. Now granted, I take it after the season has been on a month or two, prices will probably start dropping again. But to think that prices will just remain the same once the explosion of the season 3 hits the airwaves is being a bit cynical and/or naive in my usually-horribly-incorrect opinion :D

That's not what I said, though.

I'm sure that prices are going to keep increasing up until the premiere of season 3 - just like it's happened with the prior 2 seasons. But, again, it's going to be speculators selling to investors who are going to be driving up the prices - it's not going to be Joe Schmoe off the street who thinks that Michonne looks like an interesting character or Average Comic Book Bob who's been getting WD every month at his LCS.

That's really the main problem with the WD bubble - the speculator buys a WD #1 in 9.8 for $2,000 because he thinks he can get $2,500 for it later down the road. And that's only going to happen if he finds another speculator who thinks that if he buys the book for $2,500 he can turn it around and flip it for $3,000.

At some point you're going to reach the end of the line, though, because it's not possible to sustain market value when it's just investors and speculators trading these books.

im usually one that advocates that WD OA prices will regulate themselves back down to normality...

i want to just bring up 1 point...comic art prices dont start in the tens of thousands with the obvious exceptions of some ridic covers etc...

maybe Moore/Adlard are todays Kirby and Lee? I dont think so...but remember, at some point pages from ASM etc were $50 lol..

Now I see auction houses selling those pages for hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Thats boku bucks folks.

Will "it all end"? of course it will. Guess what, everything ends, nothing lasts forever. mark that down.

Whos to say what people will and wont want in the future? whos to say that there's not a WD movie in 2017? Tomorrow never knows.

Collect what you like, how you like. screaming about how somethings "definately going to go down in price!" in the future, like you're the one thats going to point the "i told you so" finger down the line is just not cool.

Those of you that are so certain that things will tank down the line, sell now, reap the profits, move on to something else that you know you can "make money" on.

We all die sometime. Enjoy what you collect. Remember that.

easy to say that but in the back of my head - and i am sure others - is the ever-looming concern of - if i fall on hard times, will i be able to get at least my money back on all that.

WD waters are now getting a bit deeper to wade into, and thats where the worry comes in..with the worry, comes conservative buyers, with conservative buyers comes price stabilization....

with me typing comes more speculation :)

Edited by Jerry S

The price won't go down until after Christmas unless the market is flooded with people waiting to sell their WD until (a) season 3 comes out or (b) the day after Thanksgiving.

That's not what I said, though.

I'm sure that prices are going to keep increasing up until the premiere of season 3 - just like it's happened with the prior 2 seasons. But, again, it's going to be speculators selling to investors who are going to be driving up the prices - it's not going to be Joe Schmoe off the street who thinks that Michonne looks like an interesting character or Average Comic Book Bob who's been getting WD every month at his LCS.

That's really the main problem with the WD bubble - the speculator buys a WD #1 in 9.8 for $2,000 because he thinks he can get $2,500 for it later down the road. And that's only going to happen if he finds another speculator who thinks that if he buys the book for $2,500 he can turn it around and flip it for $3,000.

At some point you're going to reach the end of the line, though, because it's not possible to sustain market value when it's just investors and speculators trading these books.

Understood, and I agree with you on that. The thing is though, albeit a very small number, but there are some people who see the show, and end up getting into the comics full-on hardcore wanting every issue, getting graded maybe, and so on. I'm your prime example for that. I hadn't touched a comic book since 1995 before February of this year.

I now have almost every issue, am completely full swing back into comics (not just WD either), taking part in the CGC community everyday, etc. There are some of us out there. And another one of "me" can come 3 episodes into season 3. He and the other "new collectors" will go ahead and buy that #19 raw for $450+ cause that's "now the new standard" (I just threw that number out there but you get my point). So it may not just be speculators/investors bidding on the bay come Season 3. It can be a whole new breed of "me" :D (that's a scary thought)

And funny enough, the last month or so raw #19 have hovered around $215 give or take, and as of the last day each one is back up to $300+ Looks like it's already starting. :)

Edited by roastedbagel

RB,

you and i are in the same boat Brother!

im one of those "newbies" that seem to be frowned upon 'round here (not that it bothers me:)

infact i read all the comics before even giving a thought to the TV Show.

I didn't know I was frowned upon. Oh well, such is life, I was made fun of all throughout my childhood, more of that here isn't but sweat off my back :)

I'm worse than you, I hadn't read the comics at all until seeing all of Season 1 and 2. Although I do have "some street cred" as I was a HUGE comic book collector from the age of about 6-16. I had 3 long boxes filled with classics from the 70's and 80's that my uncle gave me. We're talking Hulk 181, Wolverine #1-5 both the mini series and full, key ASM and Xmen books. Alongside that, I was buying every single Image comic that was coming out (this was when Image first came onto the scene), so Spawn, Shadowhawk, Youngblood, Savage Dragon, Maxx....It goes on and on...Sadly though I dropped out of the scene after my mom's boyfriend at the time sold all my comics for drugs :( It still pains me to think about that. But anyway here I am, back in action, as an adult, and able t buy whatever my heart desires (almost)!

RB,

you and i are in the same boat Brother!

im one of those "newbies" that seem to be frowned upon 'round here (not that it bothers me:)

infact i read all the comics before even giving a thought to the TV Show.

I didn't know I was frowned upon. Oh well, such is life, I was made fun of all throughout my childhood, more of that here isn't but sweat off my back :)

I'm worse than you, I hadn't read the comics at all until seeing all of Season 1 and 2. Although I do have "some street cred" as I was a HUGE comic book collector from the age of about 6-16. I had 3 long boxes filled with classics from the 70's and 80's that my uncle gave me. We're talking Hulk 181, Wolverine #1-5 both the mini series and full, key ASM and Xmen books. Alongside that, I was buying every single Image comic that was coming out (this was when Image first came onto the scene), so Spawn, Shadowhawk, Youngblood, Savage Dragon, Maxx....It goes on and on...Sadly though I dropped out of the scene after my mom's boyfriend at the time sold all my comics for drugs :( It still pains me to think about that. But anyway here I am, back in action, as an adult, and able t buy whatever my heart desires (almost)!

Nice! (except for the part about your moms BF and drugs)

i collected comics from the late 70s up until 1985ish. when the books went from 65 to 75 cents i had had enough! lol and then focused hardcore on sports cards.

this year, out of growing tired of sports cards i suppose, i decided to give comics a try again