• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,454 posts in this topic

You're offended by rape.

I don't expect it to happen.

When it does happen, in this context, I'm not offended.

To be offended by something like this and say that it's sexist/ lazy writing just makes you look :screwy:

Who are you to be offended?

Exactly.

So your opinion doesn't matter.

You're not offended by rape?

I need a blank stare emoticon.

I doubt he is offended by actual rape.

This is fictional.

This makes me wonder if this second printing is a result of a shortage of 116 first print or of Image knowing collectors will buy it if they make second print.

^^ I've seen no uptick in sales of #116 on Ebay. #108 was crazily priced pretty quickly and no second print. Also, somewhere back in this thread was a link to Charlie signing 2nd and 3rd prints of #116 so we still have that to look forward to.

I need a blank stare emoticon. Do you choose what you want to read and block out the rest?

In this context, no I'm not offended. I think it's a terrible thing to happen to someone. And she did some terrible things in return. Again, horrific things happening in a Horror comic. Go figure.

Get offended by it, don't read it. But you have no argument in saying Kirkman is lazy to have included it in the book. 2c

You said "You're offended by rape". It was a statement all in its own little paragraph. Of course I'm offended by rape. "You're not offended by rape?" was a perfectly reasonable response to what you said. Don't act like you didn't say it.

You went on to say you aren't offended by the rape "in this context". In what context, if any, would you find it offensive then?

There's a reason this stuff is called out and it's not because the people calling it out are :screwy:

I'm also curious as to why you're telling me my opinion doesn't matter. What on earth does "Who are you to be offended? Exactly." mean?

I need a blank stare emoticon. Do you choose what you want to read and block out the rest?

In this context, no I'm not offended. I think it's a terrible thing to happen to someone. And she did some terrible things in return. Again, horrific things happening in a Horror comic. Go figure.

Get offended by it, don't read it. But you have no argument in saying Kirkman is lazy to have included it in the book. 2c

You said "You're offended by rape". It was a statement all in its own little paragraph. Of course I'm offended by rape. "You're not offended by rape?" was a perfectly reasonable response to what you said. Don't act like you didn't say it.

You're right. It should have said "You're offended by rape, no matter what. Period. "

You went on to say you aren't offended by the rape "in this context". In what context, if any, would you find it offensive then?

When it serves absolutely no purpose.

There's a reason this stuff is called out and it's not because the people calling it out are :screwy:

What about when their argument is "The writer is obviously sexist & lazy" :eyeroll:

I'm also curious as to why you're telling me my opinion doesn't matter. What on earth does "Who are you to be offended? Exactly." mean?

It means I don't really care about this topic offending you. Clearly it's not right for everyone. I don't really care about your opinion to be offended by it.

I'm done.

You're right. It should have said "You're offended by rape, no matter what. Period. "

I've already given a couple of examples where I think rape could be featured well in fiction. But in general, yes I find rape pretty offensive. I think you've been desensitised if you find it unoffensive.

When it serves absolutely no purpose.

For example?

What purpose did it serve in this case?

What about when their argument is "The writer is obviously sexist & lazy" :eyeroll:

The ENTIRE argument is that it's sexist and lazy. That is THE argument. What on earth do you think people call it out for if not the sexism? I'm seriously beginning to doubt you've been following this conversation at all.

It means I don't really care about this topic offending you. Clearly it's not right for everyone. I don't really care about your opinion to be offended by it.

Straight, white male by any chance?

This all makes sense now.

It does, doesn't it? Check out all the guys arguing that there's nothing wrong with the rape of a woman being used as a plot device.

It does, doesn't it? Check out all the guys arguing that there's nothing wrong with the rape of a woman being used as a plot device.

Wow... is this still going? *rubs eyes*

Katchoo... There's nothing wrong with anyone writing about anything. I don't believe anyone should be censored. That leads to thought crime.

Edit: sorry but you don't sound like you are arguing about lazy hack writing any more.

Edited by Garf

I could of sworn James or anyone would come in and snipe that .

I only went to $675

People are sleeping right now.

Or has the bubble burst?!?!! :o:eek:

lol ........I was sleeping. Forgot to snipe it ......I'm glad you got it man.

Boy I'm gone for 24 hrs and some :censored: bag moves in ?

Sounds like he got tired of hanging out in comics general lol

remember kids don't :troll:

I could of sworn James or anyone would come in and snipe that .

I only went to $675

People are sleeping right now.

Or has the bubble burst?!?!! :o:eek:

lol ........I was sleeping. Forgot to snipe it ......I'm glad you got it man.

Boy I'm gone for 24 hrs and some :censored: bag moves in ?

Sounds like he got tired of hanging out in comics general lol

remember kids don't :troll:

It's not trolling, but it's getting very moralistic which doesn't have any good conclusions to the discussion IMHO.