• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,454 posts in this topic

Cgcworld: Congrats on that beautiful piece. Probably the single biggest climax to occur in this story. (Cannot wait to see the results of Negan's eventual death and Carl's ascension to serial killer as foretold by this Negan fellow.) I like the read rim, looks like they color matched it fairly well with the red on the comic cover.

Now about that 106 cover art. That price is out of control. I could see it if it was for some charity but, it looks like the owner is just trying to make a boat load of cash. Very sad.

Cgcworld: Congrats on that beautiful piece. Probably the single biggest climax to occur in this story. (Cannot wait to see the results of Negan's eventual death and Carl's ascension to serial killer as foretold by this Negan fellow.) I like the read rim, looks like they color matched it fairly well with the red on the comic cover.

Now about that 106 cover art. That price is out of control. I could see it if it was for some charity but, it looks like the owner is just trying to make a boat load of cash. Very sad.

How is it "very sad" if the piece sells for what Mark is asking? If he gets no bids, it goes to standard auction format or stays for sale at 10k on the site for a while.

Very sweet. Do the framers have any left?

What's ballpark price on getting those framed? I have a cover or two that need the treatment and just haven't gotten off my butt to price.

Look at what I picked up from the framers today. :banana:

00DAECE1-C03B-4FA2-8299-D427EF9093D8-889-000000B01DCE63D5.jpg

Jim

How is it "very sad" if the piece sells for what Mark is asking? If he gets no bids, it goes to standard auction format or stays for sale at 10k on the site for a while.

I think, considering how much the 100 second print cover sold for, there's the assumption that certain parties involved will make a bid well over the starting bid.

I think, considering how much the 100 second print cover sold for, there's the assumption that certain parties involved will make a bid well over the starting bid.

It's an awesome cover, I just don't get why it is selling before we know the storyline / plot of the book? One of the things that also made #48 so iconic was that it was also the climax of an outstanding arc.

The cover may be lovely but the book could be total filler for all we know.

I'm genuinely surprised at some of the outrage over the #106 cover auction.

There seems to be an idea that Mark/Charlie have some sort of obligation to keep the price of art low and affordable - this is ludicrous. They both make their living making/selling art and have an obvious interest in achieving the biggest price. If that means that only a few, very wealthy collectors have access to it, so what? Why wouldn't they be trying to "extract as much cash as fast as possible"? That's not a bad thing - it's the only sensible thing to do if you are an OA seller. Have to say it's pretty funny that they plan to charge an extra $50 shipping on top of a $10k plus purchase, but there you go.

I also find it amusing that a few people seem to fancy themselves better businessmen than someone whose job it is to sell artwork. Clearly they feel that this auction format will work better, otherwise they wouldn't be using it. They've done blind auctions before and they've done eBay auctions before, so it's not like it's a stab in the dark.

$10k isn't "ridiculous", it's not "too high" and it's not "out of control". There are people out there willing to pay this much and they will do it. It's completely unrealistic for the average fan on the street to own it, but then we can't all drive Ferraris.

I wonder how many of the people doing the complaining care at all that kids with limited pocket money can't afford to build a collection of WD back issues because of the inflated prices... which a lot of sellers benefit from.

Two other things that grated with me about the previous posts, and then this rantrant is over: it's not for any individual to judge whether there are "better" things to spend one's money on. And secondly, Mark never said that the crease didn't affect the value of the art - he said it didn't affect the art itself - so calling him out for doing that is a bit silly.

It's a great cover, and I hope they get a great price for it.

not much outrage here, just more discussion on relevant topics..

though there are a few disconnects with your logic balham.

1. valuation of art, especially due to damage, is an affect on the artwork. so yes, the crease does effect the artwork valuation.

2. the price should reflect the creasing, and at a minimum should not be put to full value at the START of the auction (arguably the full value is probably within reason at the 10k considering the inflation of the market - though i tend to think its on the VERY high end of where the auction would END)

- sub note, the actual full value in my opinion is much closer to the 5k mark.

3. the ability to afford artwork, or ferraris has little to nothing to do with the ability to discuss the price of artwork or ferraris. the fact that you even compare the two shows your lack of awareness to the same.

4. the fact that mark continues to make this a blind auction is obviously his choice - but i believe its the wrong move for OA market as a whole.

why? where else are blind auctions run, the biggest powerhouses (heritage, comiclink, ebay, romitaman, albert moy) sell their art on an OPEN market, where the artwork can speak for itself, without having the proverbial lined body guards protecting its glory.

most are also put on sale at reasonable prices, and if an auction format is given, most start at much lower prices than what they are to sell at.

again though, none of this is spoken with a tone of outrage, more of a tone of curiosity and bewilderment -

5. making a blind auction also lets mark and co. control the market because noone will know how much prices for pieces are going for. thats a selfish move for a DEALER to do. considering customers often times will trade or sell art to acquire new pieces - this is a DIRECT slap-in-the-face to customers.

thoughts?

(shrug)

I'm genuinely surprised at some of the outrage over the #106 cover auction.

There seems to be an idea that Mark/Charlie have some sort of obligation to keep the price of art low and affordable - this is ludicrous. They both make their living making/selling art and have an obvious interest in achieving the biggest price. If that means that only a few, very wealthy collectors have access to it, so what? Why wouldn't they be trying to "extract as much cash as fast as possible"? That's not a bad thing - it's the only sensible thing to do if you are an OA seller. Have to say it's pretty funny that they plan to charge an extra $50 shipping on top of a $10k plus purchase, but there you go.

I also find it amusing that a few people seem to fancy themselves better businessmen than someone whose job it is to sell artwork. Clearly they feel that this auction format will work better, otherwise they wouldn't be using it. They've done blind auctions before and they've done eBay auctions before, so it's not like it's a stab in the dark.

$10k isn't "ridiculous", it's not "too high" and it's not "out of control". There are people out there willing to pay this much and they will do it. It's completely unrealistic for the average fan on the street to own it, but then we can't all drive Ferraris.

I wonder how many of the people doing the complaining care at all that kids with limited pocket money can't afford to build a collection of WD back issues because of the inflated prices... which a lot of sellers benefit from.

Two other things that grated with me about the previous posts, and then this rantrant is over: it's not for any individual to judge whether there are "better" things to spend one's money on. And secondly, Mark never said that the crease didn't affect the value of the art - he said it didn't affect the art itself - so calling him out for doing that is a bit silly.

It's a great cover, and I hope they get a great price for it.

Great post.

+1

Edited by Solar

5. making a blind auction also lets mark and co. control the market because noone will know how much prices for pieces are going for. thats a selfish move for a DEALER to do. considering customers often times will trade or sell art to acquire new pieces - this is a DIRECT slap-in-the-face to customers.

thoughts?

Its not a slap in the face to anyone. It is Marks job to make his client as much money as possible. Period. Utilizing any format to achieve that.

to be clear, reader - i have no problem with anyone trying to get the most amount of money out of ANYTHING.

reps, individual artists, resellers, whoever, let them sell for MAX profits. GREAT. i do it, everyone does it. thats our society.

what i am saying is simply that by running a closed eye auction, it sets a bad precedent for future sales, and it stifles the market for us buyers.

Jerry,

You've completely lost me on this one.

1. If you are worried about the damage, just wait for the next great Adlard cover. It should be here around issue 172.

2. No way is that a 5k cover. If you think that is fmv, you are totally out of touch.

4. The oa market as a whole? Are you kidding me? Check your eBay listings. Those are what's wrong with the TWD OA market. THOSE ARE THE REAL INFLATED PRICES.

5. It isn't a direct slap in the face to customers. He has no duty to help us figure out Walking Dead prices on the secondary market. He might be making deals behind closer doors. So what? Like I said above, you prices are much more out of control. Are you trying to influence the market? Maybe YOU should price your items closer to fmv so I can get a better understanding of the market.

I can see your points Claudio -

Take for example this piece:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Walking-Dead-Original-Cover-Art-Variant-101-Unpublished-Michonne-Jim-Rugg-/140851388410?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20cb659ffa

I sold it, for $1300, a fair price. It's an unpublished cover, done by Jim Rugg.

Unfortunately, E-bay no longer tracks completed listings for very long, but from memory, I remember seeing at least 5 covers go on E-bay within the last 6 months.

I put up the cover to 93 (I think) and sold it for $1500. I was SHOCKED that it sold for that HIGH.

I remember 63 sold for like $2500? something like that. I wasn't the only one shocked that it sold for that much.

REMEMBER, it was on sale for $600 (maybe 500, I forget) like 6 weeks before that!

There was chatter here about how ridiculous prices were at those levels!!

Remember just 4 months ago, the COVER to 89 was on sale on a public site for 900 EURO!

84? 2500 EURO!!

80? 1400 EURO!

Issue 78? on splashpage for $750! it was there for AGES. It only sold about 3-4 months ago!

I remember the cover to 54 (?) sold for a price of $1350 (approx) about 6 months ago.

SIX MONTHS AGO! A cover with zombies, VERY well drawn, with a major character blasting them to bits!!

I don't think my valuations are that crazy. I think what we are seeing is price gauging at its finest.

Edited by Jerry S

1. valuation of art, especially due to damage, is an affect on the artwork. so yes, the crease does effect the artwork valuation.

One more time: Mark said nothing about whether or not the crease affected the valuation. He said it does not affect the artwork. This is true - the crease is on the Bristol board, not the pen and ink.

2. the price should reflect the creasing, and at a minimum should not be put to full value at the START of the auction (arguably the full value is probably within reason at the 10k considering the inflation of the market - though i tend to think its on the VERY high end of where the auction would END)

- sub note, the actual full value in my opinion is much closer to the 5k mark.

But you have no way of knowing whether the price DOES reflect the creasing or not. They might have been planning to start higher and decided to knock things off for the crease. You're assuming that's not the case because $10k is a round number but you don't know.

Look: they can start the auction at any price they want - you aren't in a position to say what the seller "should" be doing. It's a more obvious argument that buyers should factor in the crease to the price they're prepared to offer. Some people won't care at all, for others it will be a big deal. It makes far more sense to put the onus on the buyer to value the "defect".

Re your sub note, I have no idea what you mean by "actual full value". There is no objective way of determining this - and in fact the recent market suggests you are way low considering this is a double page, zombies, main characters etc.

3. the ability to afford artwork, or ferraris has little to nothing to do with the ability to discuss the price of artwork or ferraris. the fact that you even compare the two shows your lack of awareness to the same.

What an odd comment. I didn't say that you had no ability to discuss the price of artwork, or anything like that. Please go ahead - I just happen to disagree with your opinions.

4. the fact that mark continues to make this a blind auction is obviously his choice - but i believe its the wrong move for OA market as a whole.

why? where else are blind auctions run, the biggest powerhouses (heritage, comiclink, ebay, romitaman, albert moy) sell their art on an OPEN market, where the artwork can speak for itself, without having the proverbial lined body guards protecting its glory.

most are also put on sale at reasonable prices, and if an auction format is given, most start at much lower prices than what they are to sell at.

again though, none of this is spoken with a tone of outrage, more of a tone of curiosity and bewilderment -

But that's not an explanation of why you think blind auctions are bad for the OA market. It's a list of what other people do, without any reasons why doing it differently is better. I'm sorry, you've lost me with the bodyguard comment.

Why do you think it is bad for Mark to be selfish and to try to control the market? Do you understand that it is his job to sell art, and to get the best price that he can? He has no obligation to any purchaser to keep prices low - in fact that would be counter to the interests of the artists that he represents.

what i am saying is simply that by running a closed eye auction, it sets a bad precedent for future sales, and it stifles the market for us buyers.

I don't understand this comment, and perhaps if you expand a bit it will help me see things from your perspective.

What do you mean when you say blind auctions "stifle the market"? Are you saying that fewer people will bid, and that that is a bad thing?

Secondly, just to understand, would you still have a problem if the piece was being sold on eBay with a $10k opening bid? i.e. is it the fact that it's a blind auction that bothers you (and if so, why), or the $10k start? I get the impression it's the latter, but maybe I'm wrong.