• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which would you rather have?

6 posts in this topic

For a long time the merits of CGC books have been debated. Here is my question??

In general Would you rather buy an ASM #1(for example) CGC graded book in 8.5 that has better eye appeal than a CGC 9.0 graded copy for the same price? We are not talking about the obvious defects (miscuts, heavy tanning,etc) that would make the decision easy.

I would always rather have the 9.0 since the odds are I might have to discount the 9.0 for the look, but I would probably still get a better price than a nice 8.5. The cost of the book relative to what I believe the book is worth is paramount in my decision making.

Any other views?

I don't know, I'll guess I have to ask CGC for a code. I was thinking that we all see defects in the books that we can live with and others we despise. Perhaps the defect is within the book? Perhaps the 9.0 really is an 8.8 rounded up. The 8.5 is an 8.7 graded down. How much difference is there between these two books (.1?) What could account for a .1 differential? Is a small defect in the book (not on the covers) less significant to most?

Well, I don't like missing pieces from the interior either (even tho' I rarely look for missing MVS or other coupons that were clipped), so that would be a detractor for me.

Does CGC down grade for interior printing defects (like folded over pages, etc.)? That, I could certainly live with.

I suppose you could have a 8.5 OWW and a 9.0 COW, but (again) why would a book with better PQ get a lower grade unless it was a less appealing book?

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

As I think about it what I am really asking is whether buyers would prefer a book with defects they don't mind and a lower grade than defects they don't care for and a higher grade. The price paid for the two books would have to be exactly the same.

That, I can answer. smirk.gif

I generally go for the book with the defects that I don't mind so much. As time goes on, I'm finding that I'm getting more an more tolerant. I used to really dislike miswraps, but I'm willing to live with them.

I just thought of a good example for you (too bad I don't have the pic). About a year ago, there was a Captain America #106 on eBay that was CGC'd 9.2 or 9.4 (forget which) but had staples almost 3/8" into the front cover (i.e. right of the spine). Instead, I purchased a raw 8.0 (or so) that had a bit of wear but had a nice wrap and nice staples.

Not exactly the same situation (since the prices were quite different) but along the same lines...

Thanks,

Fan4Fan