• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Weird Science 16 cover sells for $200K Good Lord, Choke Gasp!

106 posts in this topic

:o Who knew the most espensive piece ever bought would be by Wally Wood. I thought it would be an Eisner, Kirby or Frazetta

The WS # 16 cover is iconic. (worship)

I'm only glad that I managed to snag the # 18 cover a few years ago. :)

:o Who knew the most espensive piece ever bought would be by Wally Wood. I thought it would be an Eisner, Kirby or Frazetta

That sale is sure to be shattered!

And if the right piece hit's the market, easily within this year.

Though I'd happily lay money, that private transactions have been done where this record has been broken many times over, for many times the amount here.

I'm not too sure about that. There have been some private transactions in the six-figure range but the only two sales of single pieces of OA that hit 200K are the Batman 11 cover and WS 16 cover.

S

For me, the most emblematic cover from the 50's and from my favorite artist.

EC art + Science Fiction + UFO + Space monsters that's what the popular culture of the 50's were made of and Wood was the best for that.

Wally Wood did 16 SF covers, most of them are classic as most of the books, 200K is supper hight but why not as long as you can afford it.

I have to admit that I have some backroom knowledge of the deal. I had tried for years without success to pry the cover from the seller. He was kind enough to give me a chance to match the offer when it was recently made to him. As much as I love that cover (and I agree with Fred's comment on it being an iconic EC cover) I could not match that incredible offer. Congrats to the new owner. I have personally seen the piece in person and it is AMAZING.

Arrrrrghhhhh...I guess Arch deleted all the KrazyKat posts. I was trying to post this reply to his latest shill "DELI":

:applause: :applause: :applause:

I love your new username and avatar so much that I'm not even going to notify the moderators this time and I hope nobody else does either. Long may "DELI" live! Not every Forumite can be so honored to have their own Bizarro-like shill - I love it!! :cloud9::foryou::luhv:

:sorry:

Arrrrrghhhhh...I guess Arch deleted all the KrazyKat posts. I was trying to post this reply to his latest shill "DELI":

I love your new username and avatar so much that I'm not even going to notify the moderators this time and I hope nobody else does either. Long may "DELI" live! Not every Forumite can be so honored to have their own Bizarro-like shill - I love it!! :cloud9::foryou::luhv:

Sorry, Gene. I don't share your enthusiasm. :hi:

Another Shill? lol

Now we know why KK tries to crawl out and post on weekends....when he does it during the week he doesn't last 2 hours.

Quick Draw.....

C