• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Weird Science 16 cover sells for $200K Good Lord, Choke Gasp!

106 posts in this topic

Again, I'm a fan of the old EC books - I think they are some of the most brilliant comics ever published, as were the old Warren magazines from the 1960s and 1970s (of which I am an even bigger fan). Objectively speaking, however, it is tough to argue that there is a "huge audience" for either, or that we should expect to see anything but a slow erosion in popularity in the coming decades (note, again, that I said "decades" and not "weeks" or "months").

That's a good point and I used the term "huge" way too loosely. I was thinking more along the lines of a "huge percentage" of comic readers would have some interest in EC material but upon further reflection, the actual percentage would more accurately be "some". I bet a lot of new comic readers have heard of EC but as you astutely pointed out, a larger portion of these readers would be more interested in Kirby work because its his characters they're reading today.

The population interested in these books will likely be getting smaller as well. There are probably fewer new parties ponying up for a $50 hardcover line than interested parties passing away :(

So I'll agree that demand will be going down in the future decades, but what will happen to supply? Rich made a great point earlier when he speculated that much of this art could end up in museums or family collections, effectively lowering the supply. If the demand/supply goes this way, then prices very well could go up. Of course this is all krazy speculation :insane:

I did a search on eBay and CAF and couldn't find any EC interior pages up for sale. Any idea of an average current going rate or how often pages go up for sale?

This has been a really interesting discussion!

-Bob

PS. Gene and everyone else, if you haven't yet, you should really check out the EC Archives! The production values are top notch and these books are better than the DC Archives or Masterworks. The newly done coloring is not for everyone but most find it a quite tasteful balance of new technology with Marie Severin's original coloring sensibilities.

I did a search on eBay and CAF and couldn't find any EC interior pages up for sale. Any idea of an average current going rate or how often pages go up for sale?

I'd think Heritage would be the primary venue that you would want to search. I don't follow the OA market very closely, but I'm pretty sure that Heritage has offered EC interior pages by Ingels a few times.

This has been a really interesting discussion!

-Bob.

If you try searching CAF under individual artists' names you ought to be able to find some EC interior pages for sale.

I located some Jack Davis and Joe orlando EC pages for sale.

Good to hear you're enjoying the EC books.

I'm afraid I'll be long dead "in decades to come", so I can't say I particularly care about Gene's "Criswell Predicts" routine ( :jokealert:).

But hopefully I'll still be around in the "weeks and months to come" to continue collecting and enjoying EC art (amongst other things). ;)

I'd think Heritage would be the primary venue that you would want to search. I don't follow the OA market very closely, but I'm pretty sure that Heritage has offered EC interior pages by Ingels a few times.

If you try searching CAF under individual artists' names you ought to be able to find some EC interior pages for sale.

I located some Jack Davis and Joe orlando EC pages for sale.

Thanks for the tips guys! I was able to find a bunch of pages to get an idea of how things are going. It looks like plain jane New Trend panel pages go for $600 - $2000 depending on artist and attractiveness of the page. There were some pretrend pages for a bit less.

A bit out of range for me now but maybe someday :)

-Bob