• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Green River killer's comic collection?

41 posts in this topic

How many do you have CGC'd?

John

Only about 8 of them so far. I'm sending some more in as we speak (ASM Annual #1s, FF Annual #3s, etc.) The PDF lists all the CGC'd copies I've come across so far. (I don't own any of the bullet holes ASMs.) Most of the comics I have are currently on that list. I picked up another 22 Green Rivers last week off eBay.

The grades given by the lawyer next to my copies don't resemble the condition at all. They're all fine+ at least with most VF or above.

My old X-men #14 CGC 8.5 is currently up for auction on Heritage's Website.

Well, since the thread is de-railed anyway...

FF, Those Bettie Page eyes are FREAKIN ME OUT! I love Bettie, but in your avatar she looks positively possessed! (What's the larger context?)

315.jpg

Do you have some of those early Spiderman's with the *gulp* BULLET HOLES?

Hauser told me he kept those for himself. I can't remember his exact words and I'm paraphrasing a bit, but he said he enjoyed the idea of owning them because they loosely tied to the idea of Stevens possibly being a serial killer more closely than the rest of the collection.

I talked to Hauser because I was gonna write a series of articles for CBG on pedigrees, but I've since decided not to because Matt Nelson is writing a book on the subject. I'm going to hand all my research to Matt, and maybe do a little more if it'll help him. I did one article on Vancouver, and that'll probably be it. However, I may still try to contact William Stevens' brother, because there are some details of the collection nobody seems to know that I'm curious about.

Well, since the thread is de-railed anyway...

FF, Those Bettie Page eyes are FREAKIN ME OUT! I love Bettie, but in your avatar she looks positively possessed! (What's the larger context?)

That expression freaks me out a little too! I find it compelling because it's both intense due to the wide-open eyes and extremely pleasing due to her alluring smile and extreme physical beauty. There's no larger context for me other than her expression in that picture raises my blood pressure! shocked.gifcloud9.gif

There are a lot of beautiful women in the world, but I'm fascinated by Bettie right now because she displays such a wide range of emotions in her pictures. Most models have about 10 or 20 "looks" they can pull out of their bag, but Bettie has hundreds and hundreds of them. I wonder whether the English language even has a sufficient array of adjectives to describe the emotional states she was capable of displaying! She's the most natural and skilled camera ham I've personally ever seen. I hear she wasn't much of an actress, and that doesn't surprise me, because I can see how the emotion she displays in her pictures could appear unrealistically melodramatic when viewed in full motion, but I find her extremely compelling as a still-photo subject.

Here's the full-sized scan:

bpother70.jpeg

Yes! I've been working on a new one myself....."Blue Steel"!!! grin.gif

27_laughing.gif Alrite, Zoolander, post a pic of it once you've got it perfected. wink.gif

But I wanna know, can he turn LEFT??! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Families of Green River Victims Speak Out

Thu, Dec 18, 2003

By GENE JOHNSON, Associated Press Writer

SEATTLE - One after another, with an eloquence honed by decades of grief and waiting, relatives of the women murdered by Gary Ridgway told the Green River killer Thursday of the loss, hurt and emptiness he caused.

"Gary Ridgway is an evil creature who I would condemn to many many long years of anguish and despair," Nancy Gabbert, mother of victim Sandra Gabbert, told the court and Ridgway at his sentencing.

"No matter what you say, I will never, ever, ever forgive you," said Sarah King, daughter of Carol Christensen, whose body was found May 8, 1983.

"I'm glad you didn't get death," she said, crying as she stared at Ridgway. "Death is too good for you. Someday you will die and you'll go to that place and you'll get what you deserve."

Ridgway, who confessed last month to strangling 48 women over the past two decades, faces life in prison without the possibility of release or parole. Prosecutors agreed not to seek the death penalty as part of a plea deal.

King County Superior Court Judge Richard Jones set aside a second day for Ridgway's sentencing in case relatives needed more time.

Tony Savage, one of Ridgway's lawyers, has said he expects his client to apologize during the hearing.

Ridway watched each family member as they spoke Thursday. He remained expressionless, though he sometimes nodded as they decried his evil.

"We wanted to see you die, but it's all going to be over now," said Kathy Mills, mother of victim Opal Mills, 16, whose body was found Aug. 15, 1982. "Gary Leon Ridgway, I forgive you. I forgive you. You can't hold me anymore. I'm through with you. I have a peace that is beyond human understanding."

Sherry Garrett, sister of victim Cynthia Hinds, whose body was found the same day, said the hearing was not about Ridgway, but about the women he killed.

"All you stole, I now reclaim with force," she said. "I am unable to forgive you at this time, but because of my God I am able to stand before you and say what was needed to say."

As he entered the courthouse for the sentencing, King County Sheriff Dave Reichert, one of the first detectives to investigate the killings in the early 1980s, said he wouldn't put much credence in any remorse Ridgway might show.

"I think that there is a piece of him that has always wanted to be cared for or loved or seen as a normal person," Reichert said. "But he's not been able to do that, and so I think that's his attempt at having somebody at least recognize he's a human being and that he'd like to be treated as someone who's a part of the community.

"But that's all an act. He can't really figure that out. He's obviously very dysfunctional. He's a psychopath and a pathological liar."

Ridgway, 54, has been convicted of more murders than any serial killer in U.S. history. As Thursday's hearing started, assistant prosecutor Brian McDonald read Ridgway's guilty pleas and the mandatory life sentence.

Ridgway pleaded guilty Nov. 5 to 48 counts of aggravated first-degree murder. In his confession, he said he killed because he hated prostitutes and didn't want to pay them for sex; that he dumped their bodies in the Green River and other inconspicuous parts of King County; and that he killed so many women he had a hard time keeping them straight.

Ridgway was arrested Nov. 30, 2001, after detectives linked his DNA to sperm found in three of the earliest victims. By spring 2002, prosecutors had charged him with seven murders, but they had all but given up hope of linking him to the dozens of other women, most of whom disappeared during a terrifying stretch from 1982-84.

Last spring, defense attorneys offered King County Prosecutor Norm Maleng a deal: If Maleng would not seek the death penalty, Ridgway would help solve those other cases. Though Maleng had previously said he would not bargain with the death penalty, he changed his mind, saying that a strong principle of justice is to know the truth.

Ridgway cooperated, eventually confessing to 48 murders — the most recent in 1998 — and leading investigators to four previously undiscovered sets of remains.