• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need Some Buying Advice

14 posts in this topic

There are a couple of really nice Spidey art pieces I've found, and the buyer is giving me the option to buy them before sending them to eBay. He asked me to make him an offer and then we could do the "checkout" through buy it now on eBay. Plus, my wife wanted to buy me a nice graduation present for my master's, and a nice Spidey and villain piece would be a great addition to my office. :grin:

I've looked at CAF as well as the artists' websites (where able to do so) to get some pricing ideas, but also wanted to check with you guys for your opinions. Obviously, I don't want to be a jerk by sending him a lowball offer, but I'd also like to get a nice deal as well. So what do you think would be a fair offer on these individual pieces? I'm relatively sure I wouldn't be able to afford all three, but for curiousity's sake, what would be a fair group price?

Thanks!

p.s. I forgot to ask, but I'm guessing they're somewhere between 8 1/2 X 11 and 11 x 14.

Alex Saviuk

Saviuk-DrOck.jpg

Ron Frenz

Frenz-Hobogobo.jpg

Steve Rude

Rude-Kraven.jpg

47 hits and no one willing to offer a newb some friendly advice? :shrug:

(and in case you're wondering... the hunt for the AF 15 has been called off so I'm back to my other various interests :) )

Hello Forrest

I can't honestly give you a figure on those three pieces, but If I had to pick just one, I would go with the Steve Rude. Of the three images, it's the most pleasing to my eye. The first piece by Saviuk is also personalized, and on the second, it looks like Frenz used marker (which will continue to lighten as time goes by) for the shadows on the Goblin's face. For those reasons I'd find the first two commisions less desirable than the last one by Rude.

Congratulations on your graduation!

Bill -

Well,

I can't offer any pricing advice because I have absolutely no idea what the market is for any of those artists.

But, If I had to choose just one to get, I'd go with the Steve Rude (thumbs u

Ditto.

The first two don't do anything for me, but the Steve Rude illo is really good.

Spidey vs a villain is always fun. Before I made any offer, I'd ask myself a few questions.

First of all, are you a fan of any these particular artists? If you're a huge Frenz fan, then that has to color your perspective. It should, anyway. I'd rather have a piece by an artist I admire (say, John Buscema) than one that hasn't really rung my bell (say, Sal Buscema).

Would it bug you to have a commissioned piece that was signed off to a guy named Bob? It would bug me even if my name WAS Bob. A published page is different; that's comic history and I'm somehow okay with that. All in all, I prefer not to collect signed pieces...even pieces that the artist has signed off to me without letting me know first.

There's this: Alex Saviuk has a history as a Spider-Man artist. Ron Frenz also has a history with the character. Steve Rude...well, I think of him as the Nexus guy. Very good at it, too, but not a Spidey mainstay. That would influence my choice.

Finally, realize that you should spend much less for a commissioned piece that you didn't order and that someone else wants to unload.

But you've asked for a ballpark price and I'll throw one out here. Since I don't collect any of these artists, and I find these pieces kind of pedestrian, and since I prefer published pieces only...I'd be offering less than $100 for any individual piece here.

Thanks for your thoughts guys!

I'm pretty big Frenz fan, and have a piece of OA from him (Hobgoblin Lives #3, p.3) as well as a beautiful print signed by him right above my desk at work. Growing up in the 80s for me meant growing up with Frenz.

Saviuk's Spider-Man is a really nice one whether in comics or the comic strips (which is where I am most familiar with his work). It's got a nice, early 90s feel to it--not McFarlane-esque, but just a nice sharp look to it.

I will be 100% honest when I say the Steve Rude has name recognition with me, but nothing else. In fact, familiarity is probably a better term. However, I'm really loving this picture as it has such a classic Romita look to it.

The personalization doesn't bother me as much. I picked up a pair of nice pictures from Mikeyriffhard and my father in law was able to crop it out when matting it. Having worked just signed by the artist, however, is a big plus for me. I like to collect artists' signature on my books and it's even better (to me) when they sign their art.

So... roughly $100 a piece. hm I might make a solid stab at the Rude piece... and we'll see if he'll cut me a deal if I buy more than one. He had some design sketches by Alex Ross but 1. they were going to be awfully pricey and 2. I'm not a fan of the sketches. Not Spidey-ish enough for me.

Thanks again guys!

Thanks for your thoughts guys!

I'm pretty big Frenz fan, and have a piece of OA from him (Hobgoblin Lives #3, p.3) as well as a beautiful print signed by him right above my desk at work. Growing up in the 80s for me meant growing up with Frenz.

Saviuk's Spider-Man is a really nice one whether in comics or the comic strips (which is where I am most familiar with his work). It's got a nice, early 90s feel to it--not McFarlane-esque, but just a nice sharp look to it.

I will be 100% honest when I say the Steve Rude has name recognition with me, but nothing else. In fact, familiarity is probably a better term. However, I'm really loving this picture as it has such a classic Romita look to it.

The personalization doesn't bother me as much. I picked up a pair of nice pictures from Mikeyriffhard and my father in law was able to crop it out when matting it. Having worked just signed by the artist, however, is a big plus for me. I like to collect artists' signature on my books and it's even better (to me) when they sign their art.

So... roughly $100 a piece. hm I might make a solid stab at the Rude piece... and we'll see if he'll cut me a deal if I buy more than one. He had some design sketches by Alex Ross but 1. they were going to be awfully pricey and 2. I'm not a fan of the sketches. Not Spidey-ish enough for me.

Thanks again guys!

Definitely Romita-esque. I just didn't like the Leopard print on Kraven.

Well... he made me an offer of $200 buy it now for all three! :o Boy, if that's not a hard deal to turn down.

So, even though my attempt at the AF 15 is out the window (for now), between my in-laws getting me a microbrewery kit and my wife picking up these beauties, not a bad week all in all! :grin:

All 3 pieces look nice. You got a good deal for the set. Even if you went to a show where all 3 artists were in attendence, you would have spent more than that buying from them directly.

Cheers!

N

Well... he made me an offer of $200 buy it now for all three! :o Boy, if that's not a hard deal to turn down.

So, even though my attempt at the AF 15 is out the window (for now), between my in-laws getting me a microbrewery kit and my wife picking up these beauties, not a bad week all in all! :grin:

WOW...that one piece commissioned from Rude would have cost you more than $200.

Score....congrats.

Chris

Make that $200 shipped as I just closed the deal! I'm hoping to have them by the end of the week! :headbang:

And the Steve Rude came in at 9x12, and the Frenz/Saviuk pics came in at 11x14--all listed with black ink & marker. Consider my CAF Gallery updated! :grin: