• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rudolph...the rarest bronze-age comic?

102 posts in this topic

I always thought the toughest Rudolph was the Annual from 1962-63

Looking for 30+ years

Took me forever to find a copy - finally found a VG copy about 5 years ago. At a toy show of all places.

Looks like there are 4 on the census..one 8.0 two 7.5s and one 6.0

The Kid Colt 35 cent variant was actually found by Earl Shaw.

He bought a store out in the mid Ohio area a few years back and ended up with almost a long box of 35 cent variants ... many multiples... but the Kid Colt 218 was the only copy there.

I thought Larry Harmon's Laurel & Hardy was one of the scarcest BA DC books - I remember seeing the Rudolph treasury editions as a kid, but not the L&H book - and flush with paper route money I actually bought the first of the Rudolph treasury editions off the stands in my brief quest (about 3 months) to own every DC and Marvel printed. I caught such flack from a fellow collector that I eventually gave it to my little year brother to trash. Of course, if I'd only bothered to stash it away carefully, it would now be worth more than most of what else I bought at the time doh!
They used to be pretty scarce until some eBay seller started selling mega multiples of multipacks with that issue. This started around 2002 and I remember buying from him.

I always considered the Three Mouseketeers books to be among the toughest DCs.

Looking for 30+ years

Took me forever to find a copy - finally found a VG copy about 5 years ago. At a toy show of all places.

He bought a store out in the mid Ohio area a few years back and ended up with almost a long box of 35 cent variants ... many multiples... but the Kid Colt 218 was the only copy there.

Earl would have blown them all out for a dollar each if Jeff hadn't said anything, tho.

(shrug)

I am thinking the answer has to be a 35 cent variant, like Kid Colt 218.

Yeah, definitely a Western 35-center, or maybe Scooby Doo 1?

I have found Scooby Doo #1 tuff to find, but not impossible I have owned multiples in the past and presently own two about mid-grade.

would love to own a high grade issue one day :cloud9:

Looking for 30+ years

Earl would have blown them all out for a dollar each if Jeff hadn't said anything, tho.

(shrug)

:whistle: You know their was also an INHUMANS #12 35 cent variant with a Double Cover in those books Earl had, that has got to rank right up their with the Kid Colt #218 Variant for Rarity.

This is not a "printing difference", but different version of the comic that was printed

What's the difference between the 2 versions besides the price on the cover? (Is the price different in the indicia?) How is it a different version of the comic - the interiors are exactly the same, no? If so, it's just a cover printing difference, not a different version of the comic.

I remember when it was on the newsstands... hm

Gothic Romances has to rank up there on the scarceness meter...

Jim

It certainly does, all early Bronze 56 pager's, particularly the early issues of the runs. And the first issue's of the new titles.

Paging Sterling.....

What does "early Bronze 56 pager" refer to?

What's the difference between the 2 versions besides the price on the cover?

It comes down to intent - those books were printed with a specific marketing purpose - these aren't printing errors, these aren't lame manufactured collectibles, and they're not pre-pack only anomalies.

These books were right on the newstand along with the other comics, and that makes them very special. In fact, they're among the very, very, very, very few true variant comics.

It's not what's different about them that's important, it's how and why they were produced.

Looking for 30+ years

comment and question-

Comment: Jeff said he found the 35's including the 218

question: is your ebay ID the same as or similar to your board ID?

It comes down to intent - those books were printed with a specific marketing purpose - these aren't printing errors, these aren't lame manufactured collectibles, and they're not pre-pack only anomalies.

These books were right on the newstand along with the other comics, and that makes them very special. In fact, they're among the very, very, very, very few true variant comics.

It's not what's different about them that's important, it's how and why they were produced.

I chose not to reply the first time, but think you have done an excellent job.

regardless, there are some people you just can't reach....

Looking for 30+ years

(shrug)

:whistle: You know their was also an INHUMANS #12 35 cent variant with a Double Cover in those books Earl had, that has got to rank right up their with the Kid Colt #218 Variant for Rarity.

Yes I think I remember that too.... did you get it?

Looking for 30+ years

comment and question-

Comment: Jeff said he found the 35's including the 218

question: is your ebay ID the same as or similar to your board ID?

I was hoping you would answer my question-

another thing I want to clarify, is that I am not arguing that earl shaw bought the books, I was saying that Jeff said he found the variants including the 218.

lastly--the longbox statement was a gross exageration. I saw what Jeff sold and the rest in person at the Baltimore Convention. Less than half a short is closer to the mark.

Oh I totally understand this, and agree. But it's the same exact book inside.

These books were right on the newstand along with the other comics, and that makes them very special. In fact, they're among the very, very, very, very few true variant comics. It's not what's different about them that's important, it's how and why they were produced.

So you agree that the only difference is the price. "It's not what's different about them that's important," What I'm saying is, for this thread, I think it is. I don't think that was the "intent" of this thread ("It comes down to intent"), and therefore should be put aside for the sake of argument in this specific thread.

I am thinking the answer has to be a 35 cent variant, like Kid Colt 218.

Yeah, definitely a Western 35-center, or maybe Scooby Doo 1?

I have found Scooby Doo #1 tuff to find, but not impossible I have owned multiples in the past and presently own two about mid-grade.

would love to own a high grade issue one day :cloud9:

He is talking about the Scooby Doo 1 35 cent variant, not the regular issue.

aside from the variants (which are in a class by themselves), I would be interested to see some listings as to what bronze titles really are all that rare.

I would think it would be the ones that were least popular (thus thrown out) with low print runs.

most comedy and romance titles seem rare for the above reason.

I've seen it on the boards here (adams thread), but I don't think I've ever seen a copy of spirit world #1.

I remember reading on a 100pg giant blog, that adventure 416 was the hardest to find 100pg giant (supergirl/adventure), but I was able to procure a copy (albeit vf range).

Anyone know if there's truth to that (greggy?).

I remember reading on a 100pg giant blog, that adventure 416 was the hardest to find 100pg giant (supergirl/adventure), but I was able to procure a copy (albeit vf range).

Anyone know if there's truth to that (greggy?).

No, it's not the toughest 100 pager.

For Marvel/DC, the toughest books are the humor/romance titles. I would guess that non-Marvel/DC books are even tougher due to low print runs, no one collecting them, etc.,.