• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there a rule of thumb concerning value for a CGC 9.4 vs. CGC 9.2?

51 posts in this topic

Throw the price guide away when it comes to slabs and get a subscription to GPA.

I probably would if I owned or bought more slabs. Buying these 3 doubled my total and that took almost 4 years. If anyone wants to let me know what GPA states, I'd appreciate it but I understand if not as it is a subscription service. (Though I have no idea the cost.)

Dan,

If you have any GPA price questions, PM me.

what does GPS stand for ??

where would one look to get a subscription ?

GPS=Global Positioning System :baiting:

GPA is a tool that gathers CGC sales data from a number of sources and then gives you the averages and breakdowns.

It is absolutely the must have if you buy slabs.

comics.gpanalysis.com

Link doesn't work :sumo:

Crazy Ed never talks with me at cons. :(

You are lucky

But I'm not really stupid enough to look at his books closely.

This is the first time in a couple of years I got close enough to his orbit to be drawn in. lol I saw an X-Men #94 and GS X-Men #1 and I risked it. Needless to say, it took a few minutes to disrupt the tractor beam and escape in the Falcon.

what does GPS stand for ??

where would one look to get a subscription ?

GPS=Global Positioning System :baiting:

GPA is a tool that gathers CGC sales data from a number of sources and then gives you the averages and breakdowns.

It is absolutely the must have if you buy slabs.

comics.gpanalysis.com

Link doesn't work :sumo:

www.gpanalysis.com

Crazy Ed never talks with me at cons. :(

He's already crazy so he was to becareful who he deals with. :baiting:

Throw the price guide away when it comes to slabs and get a subscription to GPA.

I probably would if I owned or bought more slabs. Buying these 3 doubled my total and that took almost 4 years. If anyone wants to let me know what GPA states, I'd appreciate it but I understand if not as it is a subscription service. (Though I have no idea the cost.)

It's also useful for the FMV of raw books if they're correctly graded (i.e. as CGC would grade 'em). Seriously, if you've got your Overstreet and access to GPA, then you've got all the information you'd likely need for the books you were after.

And it's about $7 a month.

It's also useful for the FMV of raw books if they're correctly graded (i.e. as CGC would grade 'em). Seriously, if you've got your Overstreet and access to GPA, then you've got all the information you'd likely need for the books you were after.

And it's about $7 a month.

$7 a month isn't unreasonable. Do you combine it with the OSPG? Do you only use it for the higher dollar books? Or would the $20 BA books work also?

Even on "run of the mill" books? Let's say "Superboy & THe Legion Of Superheroes" #245 for example?

No one has had 245 graded by CGC. lol

How about 246?

Grade Notes Avg (All Sales) 12 Mnth Avg 90 Day Avg Last Sale High/Low Last Sold Publisher Vol Year Print

(9.6) Don Rosa Collection (2)32.08 (1) 34.56 (1) 34.56 34.56 34/29 Feb 2008 Graph National P.. 1 1978 1

(9.6) Don Rosa Collection/Item recorded as sold/relisted by seller -59.88 - - 59.88 - Nov 2005 Graph National P.. 1 1978 1

(6.5) -12.25 - - 12.25 - Dec 2005 Graph National P.. 1 1978 1

Even on "run of the mill" books? Let's say "Superboy & THe Legion Of Superheroes" #245 for example?

How about 246?

Grade Notes Avg (All Sales) 12 Mnth Avg 90 Day Avg Last Sale High/Low Last Sold Publisher Vol Year Print

(9.6) Don Rosa Collection (2)32.08 (1) 34.56 (1) 34.56 34.56 34/29 Feb 2008 Graph National P.. 1 1978 1

(9.6) Don Rosa Collection/Item recorded as sold/relisted by seller -59.88 - - 59.88 - Nov 2005 Graph National P.. 1 1978 1

Am I reading correctly that the last 9.6 sold for almost $60? How to you base values for a 9.2 or 8.0 as an example? Is there a percentage rule of thumb?

And, I guess you do have to combine this with the OSPG in that case of the #245. lol Heck, should I submit the one I just bought from Dale Roberts yesterday? doh!

There has been a TON of discussion/concern in this subject matter of the NM 9.4 vs. NM- 9.2.

Only the pressing topic has generated more keyboard strokes that I can think of right off the cuff.

The NM- 9.2 is the ULTIMATE TRAP GRADE for non-key books Silver Age to 1990-ish books. Also the trap for most Golden Age non-keys as well.

It seems that no one wants the NM- 9.2 unless you really want the book at a fraction of what the NM 9.4 book commands.

Now I have seem many examples of non-key ASM's 51 and up NM- 9.2 still obtain 2/3 of the NM 9.4 prices, but ASM is still a hot market. When the ASM cools off( it WILL cool off soon) I will be back to buying as many as I can.

A few collectors are upset over having that minus sign( -) after the NM abbreviation. It does not bother me one bit.

The NM- 9.2 still is a nice comic book no matter what era it was made in.

Now the next part usually is:

how does CGC/PGX/other graders determine a 9.4 from a 9.2. I think this is easy:

The NM- 9.2 is going to have one or two more MINOR defects that cannot be allowed in the 9.4. The differences in opinion are going to be deciding HOW MUCH any additional defect(s) descore the 9.4. Do you take two 1/64" dents in a corner of the spine as 1/5 of a point to go from 9.4 to 9.2??? Does the tiny, unnoticeable dent on the lower staple descore the 9.4 to 9.3, thus having the dilemma of the "tweener" grade???

Experience is the key here. If Flying Donut tells me that I sold him an IMSM 9.4 and he says it should have been sold as NM- 9.2 I am going to pay attention and ask him which defect and HOW his discovery descores 1/5th more than the 9.4 grade I gave the book.

The insufficiently_thoughtful_persons that try to scam me for switching books/refunds/etc I rarely listen to.

CAL meh

How about 246?

Am I reading correctly that the last 9.6 sold for almost $60? How to you base values for a 9.2 or 8.0 as an example? Is there a percentage rule of thumb?

And, I guess you do have to combine this with the OSPG in that case of the #245. lol Heck, should I submit the one I just bought from Dale Roberts yesterday? doh!

The only graded copy is a 9.6 and a 4.5 Whitman variant.

does it tell you about all grades from CGC 1.0 - 9.9

It goes from .5 to 10.

*cough* NG-10

*cough* Not GPA *cough* dumbazz

Cough medicine boys?