• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there a rule of thumb concerning value for a CGC 9.4 vs. CGC 9.2?

51 posts in this topic

$7 a month? That's an expensive version of a slabbed Overstreet if you want it for a year ($84).

Crazy Ed never talks with me at cons. :(

Maybe he has a little sense after all. lol

I hear he yaks to everyone but never me. (shrug)

I'm the opposite of you. Every single dealer wants to talk to me. I'm hard of hearing, so I usually tell them right away that I'm just browsing. 4 out of 5 times, that doesn't work. :P

Well, since nobody has dealt with the question posed by the OP, I'll venture the following:

A general rule of thumb is to value 9.4 books at twice the 9.2 value. This is a sweeping generalization only, and is impacted substantially by the scarcity of the book in 9.4 and above - for books that are rare in 9.4, the difference could be even greater, while for books that are more common in high grade, the 9.4 premium may be only 75% above the 9.2.

It also goes without saying that plenty of additional qualities besides the numerical grade impact value, including page quality, cover registration, cover color preservation, cover gloss and cleanliness, staple placement, etc.

Well, since nobody has dealt with the question posed by the OP, I'll venture the following:

A general rule of thumb is to value 9.4 books at twice the 9.2 value. This is a sweeping generalization only, and is impacted substantially by the scarcity of the book in 9.4 and above - for books that are rare in 9.4, the difference could be even greater, while for books that are more common in high grade, the 9.4 premium may be only 75% above the 9.2.

It also goes without saying that plenty of additional qualities besides the numerical grade impact value, including page quality, cover registration, cover color preservation, cover gloss and cleanliness, staple placement, etc.

brilliant post. i tracked every ebay auction of silver age books in 9.2 and 9.4 for 2 1/2 years and every quarter the ratio to OPSG was remarkably close to 2 to 1 for 9.4's vs 9.2's. now i use GPA.

I can only cite the data Doc so graciously gave me, but at least for my Conan's the 75% increase for a 9.4 doesn't seem to hold. It appears to be more of a 25% increase over what the OSPG claims a 9.2 is worth. Trust me, I'd love a 75% increase. lol Maybe it's the case for a lot of others? Or is a CGC 9.2 historically lower value in GPA vs. OSPG?

I will say, the more I read this, the happier I am as to have not agreed with Eddie's version. Because the data Doc showed me on my books, doesn't seem to support what Crazy Eddie concluded. But, I will add that it also comes down to what the "market can bear".

For instance, I bought the Swamp Thing #1 in CGC9.2 for under $200 at the show. Since the latest OSPG said it's worth $250, I was more than happy with it. I saw raw versions for at least as much or more and I saw another 9.2 for $325. Doc showed me the GPA results and it seemed more inline with what I purchased it for.

what does GPS stand for ??

where would one look to get a subscription ?

GPS=Global Positioning System :baiting:

GPA is a tool that gathers CGC sales data from a number of sources and then gives you the averages and breakdowns.

It is absolutely the must have if you buy slabs.

comics.gpanalysis.com

It's well worth the monthly fee to me. I think the site is great! I use it all the time for buying and selling

I can only cite the data Doc so graciously gave me, but at least for my Conan's the 75% increase for a 9.4 doesn't seem to hold. It appears to be more of a 25% increase over what the OSPG claims a 9.2 is worth. Trust me, I'd love a 75% increase. lol Maybe it's the case for a lot of others? Or is a CGC 9.2 historically lower value in GPA vs. OSPG?

I will say, the more I read this, the happier I am as to have not agreed with Eddie's version. Because the data Doc showed me on my books, doesn't seem to support what Crazy Eddie concluded. But, I will add that it also comes down to what the "market can bear".

For instance, I bought the Swamp Thing #1 in CGC9.2 for under $200 at the show. Since the latest OSPG said it's worth $250, I was more than happy with it. I saw raw versions for at least as much or more and I saw another 9.2 for $325. Doc showed me the GPA results and it seemed more inline with what I purchased it for.

The more modern a book is, or the greater the number of high grade slabbed copies are in existence, the less CGC 9.2+ copies will command a multiple over the Guide 9.2 price.

Swamp Thing #1 is a great example of this, because it's one of the most heavily slabbed BA books around, and there are tons of 9.4, 9.6 and 9.8 copies. Therefore, a CGC 9.2 copy ends up going for less than the Guide 9.2 price, and a 9.4 copy probably doesn't go for that much over the Guide 9.2 price.

On the other hand, if you follow early SA Flash, you'll see that CGC 9.2 copies ALWAYS command a multiple over the Guide 9.2 price, and the only question is how much. It can go anywhere from a 2X multiple to 5 or 6X, depending on how scarce the book is in HG and whether a 9.2 copy would be at the top of the census.

My response had nothing to do with OSPG pricing, but was directed exclusively at CGC graded books in 9.4 and 9.2.

There is no consistent relationship (and so no rule of thumb) between OSPG NM- price and the average price of a CGC 9.4. As Tim pointed out, it varies dramatically from title to titile and era to era.

My response had nothing to do with OSPG pricing, but was directed exclusively at CGC graded books in 9.4 and 9.2.

There is no consistent relationship (and so no rule of thumb) between OSPG NM- price and the average price of a CGC 9.4. As Tim pointed out, it varies dramatically from title to titile and era to era.

Understood. I probably didn't word it as well as I should have. The other scenario I considered was exactly what you stated. (ie. 75% increase concerns just GPA, not the OSPG.) Thanks for all the info.

Even if Swamp Thing #1 is a popular slab, I still love my CGC9.2! (thumbs u

what does GPS stand for ??

where would one look to get a subscription ?

GPS=Global Positioning System :baiting:

GPA is a tool that gathers CGC sales data from a number of sources and then gives you the averages and breakdowns.

It is absolutely the must have if you buy slabs.

comics.gpanalysis.com

It's well worth the monthly fee to me. I think the site is great! I use it all the time for buying and selling

I agree. The monthly fee isn't too bad. I'll save it by not over-paying on any more books. :grin: