• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SUPER-CON 2008

7 posts in this topic

First off, many thanks to Steve Morger, Steve Wyatt and crew for another great Super-Con. This show was a sketch hound's dream. I came as a regular attendee, no dealer badge, and it was no problem getting on a ton of lists. Not only for myself, but I was able to get pieces for friends, as well. The guest list was packed, including superstars like Adam Hughes, Frank Cho, and Travis Charest in addition to rare appearances by European legends Sanjulian, Alfonso Azpiri, Esteban Maroto, and Juan Gimenez. Along with a ton of other familiar artists. I think the art-centric atmosphere was a motivation for many of the artists to do their best work. Adam Hughes, for example, exceeded even his usual high standards at this show. I was damn impressed by the work he put into each piece.

The best part of the show was the auction. Lots of great art, but the highlight were the inking examples. Predictably, the big money went to the Charest/Golden, the Cho/AH, and the all-AH pieces. The AH piece saw aggressive bidding between two very determined bidders. Both of those guys came to win. Congrats to the eventual winner. There was lots of other pieces to go around and anyone who was even half-serious about getting something, did.

Here is what I got from the show:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=60431

Looking forward to '09!

Sorry, don't know the exact attendance. The aisles were full, but not difficult to navigate. Seemed busier than last year.

I spent the first 20 minutes of the show in AH's line. After that, I went around to other artists. I had no trouble getting on any other list, including Michael Golden, Juan Gimenez, Alfonso Azpiri, Esteban Maroto, Sanjulian, Stephane Roux, etc. And there were plenty more I could have gotten onto if I wanted. Pretty amazing access. That's what I like about this show vs. the megashows like SD and NYCC. Lots of artists, but nowhere near the competition for sketch lists.

I've attended SD and NYCC and I have to agree. Even with a dealer's badge, which every hardcore collector seems to have these days, the lines for a hot artist was 10 - 20 deep. Anyone with a regular admission was likely to be shut out if they wanted a commission. AH!, Bolland, EVS, Hitch immediately come to mind in recent years.

I am amazed you you went in with regular admission.

Super Con has the big names but seem to avoid the big lines. :grin:

Cheers!

N

Nice pieces! (thumbs u

I especially like the Alfonso Azpiri Batman Sketch.

As for Super-Con, it's a chicken and the egg thing. Great access to artists means that the other side of the coin, the dealers, probably didn't do so well.

I've attended SD and NYCC and I have to agree. Even with a dealer's badge, which every hardcore collector seems to have these days, the lines for a hot artist was 10 - 20 deep. Anyone with a regular admission was likely to be shut out if they wanted a commission. AH!, Bolland, EVS, Hitch immediately come to mind in recent years.

I am amazed you you went in with regular admission.

Super Con has the big names but seem to avoid the big lines. :grin:

Cheers!

N

If you're lining up for an AH sketch, a dealer badge (or press, or pro, etc.) won't help you. Allison (Adam's list-taker) only opens the list up to general admission badges. That's not to say it's still not difficult to get a sketch!