• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4 to horde from the Copper Age

65 posts in this topic

How about Avengers 196 or NTT #2? Or did NTT #2 go downhill?

I really like Avengers 196, as well as New Mutants 87, assuming I can snag them cheap.

New Mutants 87 prices are rising again, I'm selling them for $20-25 now where it was $10-15 a year ago. The Rule of 25 is going to make that a great long term play. I also like Iron Man 169, 281, and 283 - the last two you should be able to find for nothing - as speculative fodder.

F-D,

What's the Rule of 25?

The Rule of 25 holds for almost all collectibles - what was being collected by 12 year olds 25 years previously will become the "hot" collectible. Look at what's superhot now in collectibles - things that came out in the early 1980s.

F-D,

What's the Rule of 25?

The Rule of 25 holds for almost all collectibles - what was being collected by 12 year olds 25 years previously will become the "hot" collectible. Look at what's superhot now in collectibles - things that came out in the early 1980s.

Ah, thanks. I've always thought of this theory but never knew there was a good name for it.

Do as you like when collecting always, but I'm going to get multiples of these issues

ASM 300

Incerdible Hulk 340

Vampirella 113

Transformers 80

Cerebrus, TMNT 1, Bone, Albedo 2 are some givens, but I'm goingto hit the above 4 like I have WBN 32, Hulk 181, GSXM 1, XM 94, TOD 10, IF 14 from the BA.

Also, while Marvel Comics Presents has many rags, I belive the Weapon X issues will continue to move up.

what about GI JOE 155 (last Issue), it took my brother 2 years to find a "raw' 9.6.

All this "last issue" stuff is fine for the ultra-nerds, but it'll never catch on with the mass market of collectors.

Ever since the late-80's, when the sportscard guy brought the "rookie card" mentality to comics, it's been a first-appearances world - and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

All this "last issue" stuff is fine for the ultra-nerds, but it'll never catch on with the mass market of collectors.

Ever since the late-80's, when the sportscard guy brought the "rookie card" mentality to comics, it's been a first-appearances world - and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Its all about the last issue being so rare.

I know that, but that's my point. Scarcity by itself is almost worthless compared to demand. There are western/funny animal/etc. GA books where only a few copies exist, but can be bought for less than a HG Hulk 181.

Or look at some of the 35-cent variants - using logic as your only consideration, these should be by far the most valuable books in the last 40+ years, but due to limited demand, prices are exceptionally low given their incredible rarity.

Unless that "last issue" is also a key due to a first appearance, it will never catch on with the mass collecting group, and from what I've seen, demand is almost entirely based on speculation that "someday these will be worth something". doh!

I know that, but that's my point. Scarcity by itself is almost worthless compared to demand. There are western/funny animal/etc. GA books where only a few copies exist, but can be bought for less than a HG Hulk 181.

Or look at some of the 35-cent variants - using logic as your only consideration, these should be by far the most valuable books in the last 40+ years, but due to limited demand, prices are exceptionally low given their incredible rarity.

Unless that "last issue" is also a key due to a first appearance, it will never catch on with the mass collecting group, and from what I've seen, demand is almost entirely based on speculation that "someday these will be worth something". doh!

Not all Last issues should be worth mney, but when its comes to GI JOE and Transformers, I can see why w/the limited print runs.

I agree mostly with your thesis, Joe. But I think you have to give these "scarcer" last issues a little more respect. To use a baseball card analogy, many of the checklists from early baseball card sets sold for a premium. Not because anyone really wanted them, but because often they were checked off or they were at the bottom of a rubber-banded pile and were damaged. Completionists needed them in high grade and the price rose. I would argue that for ultra-high grade completionists, the same may apply for many lower print last issues.

To use a baseball card analogy...

But as you know, the majority of baseball card collectors amass full sets, hence the high prices of checklists and first/last cards.

Baseball sets = same year, same release, same buyer. You can't compare that to a last issue of a comic run, as we collect under a totally different scenario.

To use a baseball card analogy...

But as you know, the majority of baseball card collectors amass full sets, hence the high prices of checklists and first/last cards.

Baseball sets = same year, same release, same buyer. You can't compare that to a last issue of a comic run, as we collect under a totally different scenario.

Why would it be any different than a collector needing to complete a GI Joe or TF run?? They still need the very scarce last issues to complete the "set" or run.

Why would it be any different than a collector needing to complete a GI Joe or TF run?? They still need the very scarce last issues to complete the "set" or run.

You've never collected sportscards, right? doh!

Sportscard SETS are all printed the same year, and that is the way the majority of collectors go after them. A set of 336 1969-70 hockey cards was NOT printed over a period of 336 months like comics, but all at once, and kids would collect them all at once.

And that's the main reason they are collected by set, as people remember the cards of their youth, and try to get back that set, moving up and/or down the years as more sets are accumulated.

If you want to compare that to comics, it would be like attempting to collect every comic book put out in 1969, from every company. You would definitely find some scarce ones in that set, as many of the esoteric titles and off-brands would be tough to find.

But it's totally different than an entire series of GI Joe comics, which were printed over a period of a decade or more.