• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PLAINVILLE CONNECTICUT - SUNDAY MAY 25

11 posts in this topic

coming up this weekend - plainville comic book show - anyone going????

i am setting up with loads of new stuff - thousands of dell comics 3 / $ 10.00

come check this show out

may 25 th

Directions to the V.F.W. Hall: 84 East or West, take exit 32 and turn onto Route 10 North from the off-ramp. Follow Route 10 North for 4.5 miles, and turn right onto Northwest Drive. The V.F.W. Hall is on the left- follow the signs."

From what I recall, Cliff typically doesn't have any shows here in the summer. Once the May show is done, the next is usually the last weekend of August.

I wish I could go, but it's my duty weekend at school and I have be on campus during all day Sunday. :sorry:

Any Silver Age, Marvel keys?

My Mini-Con Report:

I have to admit, I think the show was a little better this time around with regards to bringing in some more selection of key books. Despite getting there around 11:30 (and assuming many of the dealer's had been thoroughly cherry-picked at this time), there were still a fair number of key issues floating around in low, mid, and high grades. While I do not begrudge Larry (Karma23) owning my copy of Avengers #4 (as it provided me the ability to buy my ASM #1), I do miss owning that book. The splash page and cover alone made owning this book worthwhile. And despite finding a copy that was just a little too high grade to buy (probably sitting in around the VG/FN to FN range), the dealer did cue me into his having a nice GD- to GD copy of Avengers #1 and #4 back in his store's storage! Score! There were also a handful of beautiful looking Bronze Age books in high grade which I generally found to be well graded, priced around guide, with some flexibility on the pricing--all plusses.

On the low grade and low end side of things (i.e. what I typically purchase :) ), I was relatively pleased with some of the deals being offered. I managed to pick up a nice pile of Ultimate Spider-Man issues (9, 11, 12, 17, 19, & 25) for about $1.75 each all in around VF/NM to NM condition. Since Park sent me a few freebies in my purchase from him a few weeks ago, I found I actually like the art and writing for this series. So, what the heck! I also found an absolute BEATER of a Daredevil #1 for about $30--it's suffering from some water damage, penciled outlining, and Tostito sized piece missing from the back cover, and some interior trimming. If I submitted for slabbing, we'd be looking at a solid 0.5 PLOD. That said, it was completely intact with the interior probably in solid 2.0 condition (minus trimming), the cover art is still generally appreciable, and it's his #1 for half the price for a tank of gas ;)

I also noticed a VERY favorable change in the wares presented: Original Art. From what I saw, there wasn't anything I would immediately jump on, but the fact it was making an appearance was interesting to me. There was a folder that I wasn't able to look at due to the fact I needed to leave for work (where I'm currently typing this from). :wishluck: Here's to hoping for a continued rise in this trend for the August and following shows.

The only downside I experienced this time around was finding a beautiful copy of the Fantastic Four #1 Golden Record Reprint--which is on my wantlist. I asked the dealer if I could look at it for further inspection, and he took it out of the mylar, but left it bagged. He informed me that it was CGC quality, and he simply could not take it out of the bag to be handled. Naturally, I informed him that I simply could not buy a book without actually inspecting it (unless it was a dollar--then I'd be wiling to take the risk). This sort of dealer always bothers me because this method is set up to take advantage of uninformed/new buyers who trust dealer's to the right thing (but as many of us have learned, this is not always the smartest thing to do).

I've also heard some rumblings about the possibility of putting together some sort of graphic novel academic symposium, and I have to say that I'm pretty darn intrigued by the prospect of this. With my thesis out of the way, I find myself on the lookout for the next project and something along these lines might just fit the bill.

So, despite my being able to attend only for the better part of an hour, it was certainly an enjoyable time getting to talk with a few fellow collectors, find some leads on some big books on my wishlist, and pick up a couple good deals. While I haven't been to one of the big shows yet (Baltimore, here I come!), this one is still solid show well worth the time.

SOLID SHOW IT IS........ the crowd was in a buying mood all day - this show is one of the better ones that i usually set up at with a good crowd lasting right till late afternoon - even the beautiful weather couldn't keep the crowds away !!!!!!- well worth the trip ------------------------------------------------future dates - 8/31,9/28,10/26-

August will be the next show! Maybe we'll finally run into one another--met ArAich a few months ago... though it was at a Dunkin Donuts parking lot (he sold me some sweet, sweet BA X-Men!). Thegoldenage sometimes goes to this show as well. Not sure which other boardies attend... (aside from bedrockcomics).