• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTF happened with eBay ratings?

56 posts in this topic

Well EBay admitted that neutering the sellers would bring the rip-off artists out of the woodwork, and many feel this is just a way of getting rid of the smaller, unique sellers who are competing with their "Dollar Store" Chinese mega-malls.

I have a feeling that the larger, more corporate sellers will get tired of all the extortion too.

Oh no, they love it when they get screwed out of their money. Thank you sir, may I have another.

Well EBay admitted that neutering the sellers would bring the rip-off artists out of the woodwork, and many feel this is just a way of getting rid of the smaller, unique sellers who are competing with their "Dollar Store" Chinese mega-malls.

I have a feeling that the larger, more corporate sellers will get tired of all the extortion too.

Oh no, they love it when they get screwed out of their money. Thank you sir, may I have another.

I meant feedback extortion, smartypants. Then again, maybe they won't care. FB just got more meaningless than it already was anyway.

I just dropped to 98.3% because they are now only counting the last 12 months of feedback.

I wouldn't buy from you :baiting:

Hell, I wouldn't buy from me either with a 98.3 rating. :censored:

I wouldn't either. But knowing you from here - you are 5 star material in every aspect. Was that retaliatory stuff, or? :shrug:

To be honest, I don't even remember, but I am pretty sure that they were retaliatory. I only have one neg from the last 12 months, but I don't sell much anymore so one neg had a pretty big effect.

I meant feedback extortion, smartypants. Then again, maybe they won't care. FB just got more meaningless than it already was anyway.

Smartypants :cloud9:

Would it be fair to say that a high percentage of sellers are buyers as well? Also, if they can no longer sell without headaches then they will also lose interest in buying?

FB just got more meaningless than it already was anyway.

Unfortunately, your FB percentage determines your discount rate and whether Paypal puts a 21-day hold on all your payments.

FB just got more meaningless than it already was anyway.

Unfortunately, your FB percentage determines your discount rate and whether Paypal puts a 21-day hold on all your payments.

It is not a PayPal hold, it is an eBay hold. FB is one variable, but there are many more. :foryou:

Here is eBay's overview as to what exactly the changes are to feedback including rationale.

Smartypants :cloud9:
Consider that your new custom title? :baiting:

Would it be fair to say that a high percentage of sellers are buyers as well? Also, if they can no longer sell without headaches then they will also lose interest in buying?

I'd say that a high percentage of ebayers both buy and sell, although the larger power sellers (like zillaf4, for example) don't.

I suspect that if you do both and neg a seller, there'll be retaliation when said seller buys something from you just to leave a neg. I don't think it'll drive out that many buyers compared to casual sellers, though.

It is not a PayPal hold, it is an eBay hold. FB is one variable, but there are many more.

I know, but if you have too low a feedback rating, then Paypal (which is owned by EBay) will put a 21-day hold on your money.

Ebay can't hold any cash, as they have no ability to function in that manner, and if so, I'm sure the SEC, DOJ and other federal regulators would love to hear of EBay taking part in processing and holding payments.

See, right from the FAQ, and it concerns Paypal holds and has nothing to do with EBay, and rightfully so, or EBay would have the FBI on their doorstep tomorrow:

"In a small percentage of cases where it has been determined the risk of dissatisfied buyers is higher, PayPal may delay release of the payment funds to the seller until the buyer has left a positive feedback or 21 days have passed without a dispute, claim, chargeback or reversal filed on that transaction.

PayPal considers a number of factors in determining a whether a transaction may have a higher risk of dissatisfied buyers, including the following:

* Seller's % Positive Feedback in the last 30 days

* Seller's Detailed Seller Ratings in the last 30 days

* Final price for the item

* Shipping & handling fee

* Seller's eBay tenure as an eBay member

* Seller's total number of Feedback

PayPal will release the hold when the earliest of the following occurs: the buyer leaves positive feedback; 3 days after confirmed item delivery; or 21 days without a dispute, claim, chargeback, or reversal filed on that transaction."

99.3 to 100. Problem is I don't sell much anymore so one bad mark and i'm shot. It will rely on the 66 transactions instead of the 2k transactions. Oh well.

It is not a PayPal hold, it is an eBay hold. FB is one variable, but there are many more.

I know, but if you have too low a feedback rating, then Paypal (which is owned by EBay) will put a 21-day hold on your money.

Ebay can't hold any cash, as they have no ability to function in that manner, and if so, I'm sure the SEC, DOJ and other federal regulators would love to hear of EBay taking part in processing and holding payments.

See, right from the FAQ, and it concerns Paypal holds and has nothing to do with EBay, and rightfully so, or EBay would have the FBI on their doorstep tomorrow:

"In a small percentage of cases where it has been determined the risk of dissatisfied buyers is higher, PayPal may delay release of the payment funds to the seller until the buyer has left a positive feedback or 21 days have passed without a dispute, claim, chargeback or reversal filed on that transaction.

PayPal considers a number of factors in determining a whether a transaction may have a higher risk of dissatisfied buyers, including the following:

* Seller's % Positive Feedback in the last 30 days

* Seller's Detailed Seller Ratings in the last 30 days

* Final price for the item

* Shipping & handling fee

* Seller's eBay tenure as an eBay member

* Seller's total number of Feedback

PayPal will release the hold when the earliest of the following occurs: the buyer leaves positive feedback; 3 days after confirmed item delivery; or 21 days without a dispute, claim, chargeback, or reversal filed on that transaction."

The reason I made the distinction is to be clear that this new hold policy is specific to eBay transactions only and does not apply to all PayPal transaction types - i.e. Send Money/Request money, off eBay eCommerce transactions, etc. Thus, it's referred to as an eBay hold. Also, a key variable to note, beyond feedback, is final price for the item. Who doesn't want that added security when buying a high-priced item? This policy is a positive, especially for the more seasoned, well standing members of the eBay community.

Rule changes like the recent ones at Ebay will just make the next VCC event bigger and better

I thought earlier in this thread someone indicated that a "hold" was levied against a non eBay PayPal payment. If so, I don't expect anything getting bigger and better. Except for maybe the US deficit.