• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Would You Do?

24 posts in this topic

Was at work last night and one of the airmen there had an X-Men #1 and #2 (90s) he was showing off. I really don't know why he had them there. Regardless, he was talking with his buddies and you could tell he was very enthusiastic about comics. He also seemed to think the two comics were worth $10 a piece. Even though he mentioned that it doesn't seem to be his motivation for liking comics.

I was too busy to join the discussion and tell him the comics were worth about 50 cents apiece but was thinking on my way home this morning...should I? The guy is pretty stoked about comics and even though he may be ignorant of how valuable his comics are, who am I to dampen that enthusiasm? It's a fact the more naive you are about the hobby, the more you enjoy it...at least it was that way with me...

Jim

I've seen this sort of thing many a time, when someone (often a seller of a collection) genuinely believes he is in possesion of something truly special or rare, when in fact he's sitting on a pile of worthless readers.

I usually just let it slide and not bother explaining the finer points (or realities) of collecting because it can be akin to banging your head against a wall, as people assume there's an agenda....if he buys further into the hobby, then he'll discover the hometruths eventually.

Not sure that enjoyment of the hobby is enhanced by one's level of naivete, though.

I would join in the guys enthusuasm for comics. It would be fun to have someone in person to talk with about comics (thumbs u

^^ If he actually started getting into regular discussions, you wouldnt have to explain the books value. He may just gather that from talking to you about what you collect.

Enjoy the enthusiasm, but unless there is a helpful reason to let him know they aren't worth much (he's getting ripped off by someone or trying to rip someone off), I'd keep it to myself. If he keeps em long enough, he might be right (and at one time he was).

Not sure that enjoyment of the hobby is enhanced by one's level of naivete, though.

I don't know about that. I was a much happier collector before finding out about some of the things going on in this hobby...

Jim

I don't know about that. I was a much happier collector before finding out about some of the things going on in this hobby...

Kim

Did you change your name since your last post? :baiting:

Kim

lol Typing too fast...

Jim

Kim

lol Typing too fast...

Jim

You can use my excuse...fat fingers :gossip:

Was at work last night and one of the airmen there had an X-Men #1 and #2 (90s) he was showing off. I really don't know why he had them there. Regardless, he was talking with his buddies and you could tell he was very enthusiastic about comics. He also seemed to think the two comics were worth $10 a piece. Even though he mentioned that it doesn't seem to be his motivation for liking comics.

I was too busy to join the discussion and tell him the comics were worth about 50 cents apiece but was thinking on my way home this morning...should I? The guy is pretty stoked about comics and even though he may be ignorant of how valuable his comics are, who am I to dampen that enthusiasm? It's a fact the more naive you are about the hobby, the more you enjoy it...at least it was that way with me...

Jim

I'd politely let him know the books are pretty common. This way, if you like the person, he doesn't wind up getting all charged up about the books and make the mistake of paying out bucks for drek. Loan him a price guide (thumbs u

Jim

I'd politely let him know the books are pretty common. This way, if you like the person, he doesn't wind up getting all charged up about the books and make the mistake of paying out bucks for drek. Loan him a price guide (thumbs u

Indeed.Feel him out about what he likes.If he likes Mc Farland and spidey fine.But as Royce said dont let him think he is the next multi millionaire from the selling of those books.

Dennis

For what it's worth, here's my 2c ...

I had a similar situation a few years back. A buddy of mine found out I collected comics and was pretty excited to have someone to talk to about the hobby. That is, until he borrowed my OSPG to check the value of what he thought were $100 books. Finding out his treasured books were worth maybe $5 pretty much killed all his enthusiasm and he's never brought up the subject since.

I'd go with the "ignorance is bliss" approach. Unless someone's trying to scam your friend into buying for $10 a book - that's a different story...

Yep, gotta agree with Loki1234 and the rest. Unless he's getting ripped off on a regular basis don't pop his bubble. I would probably bring some of my older X-men and Spiderman and try to turn him onto something rarer. When I upgrade a Silver Marvel I like to keep the reader copy to give to guys like this. Long as its not worth more than $10 hehe

It's akin to telling someone their child is not all that cute. It is best to say something like "keep it long enough and someday it might be worth a lot more than it is now", and be done with it. Unless asked specific questions, like "How do I find out how much this is worth" or "what do you think I could get for this"?

Do not lie but also, do not destroy someones hopes. What would be the point of doing that? After all, they are collectables and collectables are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them. If someone pays him 10 bucks for one of his books (that YOU would only pay .25 cents for), then his book is worth ten bucks. If someone pays ten bucks for a .25 cent comic book, then that is their problem. If they do that a few times, they will learn a valuable lesson. An education is worth paying for. If some rich guy buys a Golden Record reprint of Spiderman #1 and pays a price that is for the actual Spidey #1 and not the reprint, then he is a fool and his money soon parted. Grown ups have a responsibility to themselves to do their homework before "investing" or "collecting". Is it fraud? Perhaps, but only if the buyer was lied too. Simply saying that "the cost of this book I am selling is 3 grand" is not lying and is not fraud. That IS THE COST. If the seller says that "the cost of this Amazing Spiderman #1 is 3 grand", then MAYBE it is fraud. That would have to be a court argument.

Put another way. If your grandmother cooked you some cookies, would you say they taste like ? Even if they do taste like ? No, I do not think so.