• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM: Tales to Astonish 59

12 posts in this topic

I'll boldly go a 7.5.

The book is an ellusive one to grade for one reason or another. I have two HG copies, and on many occasion I've looked at them and thought very different things regarding the grading.

The spine's always seem 'soft' and hard to pin down with a firm appraisal if some of the more obvious flaws aren't present.

I'm seeing some spine stresses on this one though you're blessed with the white background since it won't technically break color (nothing there to break). :) It looks like there is some sort of discoloration on the white background... could be from dirty hands, oil transfer from the inks, tough to say without the book in hand (seeing a theme?-). Soft/slightly blunt corners but again, not too serious here. Also, some creasing along the top and bottom edges.

I'm coming in here on the conservative side again on this one (surprise, surprise) and going with a FN (6.0). While there aren't any major defects bringing this down, when you add up a number of these smaller defects, I think it keeps it from reaching the high grade level of F/VF (7.0) or higher.

P.S. If you want to get a good idea of what some really high grade books look like, I'd suggest checking out some of the sales threads by Flaming_Telepath, Blue, or October (just to name a few and sorry if I left some of you other solid sellers out). (thumbs u

i tried scanning a back cover and it came out reddish/orange! now i know the books arent pure white but that was ridiculous. i have to sort my scanner out i guess..i have no idea why it did this ..three times!

And yes, nothing beats having it in hand i know - when i sell these, i'll go a bit below the estimated level just to cover myself.

i tried scanning a back cover and it came out reddish/orange! now i know the books arent pure white but that was ridiculous. i have to sort my scanner out i guess..i have no idea why it did this ..three times!

And yes, nothing beats having it in hand i know - when i sell these, i'll go a bit below the estimated level just to cover myself.

Big scans of the front and back, and "Kentucky Windage" pricing is probably a smart move being an unexperienced grader. (thumbs u

It means compensation--if you normally shoot straight but there's some wind (which would blow your shot off mark a little), then adjust your aim to compensate for the variable.

You're new to grading, so pricing below your estimated grade compensates for the possibility of overgrading.

Assuming those are stains on the FC and the back is in similar shape I would say a solid 6.0. Book has great eye appeal but white covers hide a ton of flaws that a scan will not pick up and CGC will.