• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What does everyone thing of the Comics Corral?

76 posts in this topic

"cunte (n.) Also conte, counte, queinte.

[Corresp. to OI kunta, OFris., MDu. & MLG kunte.]

A woman's private parts; cunte-beten, impotent (man)."

The Middle English Compendium. Ed. Frances McSparran. Feb 2006. University of Michigan.

Quaint is often used today as either old-fasioned or even cute. You would traditionally never characterize something masculine as being "quaint" and yet the word often would be associated with feminimity... which is where the word originally derived from. Chaucer and Malory are two examples of writers from the Middle Ages who used this word to mean both "old-fasioned" as well as " :censored: "

It's basically the medieval equivolant of calling someone a ... well, you get the picture.

smilie_closed1.gif

The Middle English Compendium. Ed. Frances McSparran. Feb 2006. University of Michigan.

Quaint is often used today as either old-fasioned or even cute. You would traditionally never characterize something masculine as being "quaint" and yet the word often would be associated with feminimity... which is where the word originally derived from. Chaucer and Malory are two examples of writers from the Middle Ages who used this word to mean both "old-fasioned" as well as " :censored: "

It's basically the medieval equivolant of calling someone a ... well, you get the picture.

When I was studying Chaucer it was always spelled "quoint" when it referred to female genitalia. I had no idea that its etymology included "quaint."

I can still, however, bust out the first 8 lines of the preamble in semi-authentic Middle English. :grin:

When I was studying Chaucer it was always spelled "quoint" when it referred to female genitalia. I had no idea that its etymology included "quaint."

I can still, however, bust out the first 8 lines of the preamble in semi-authentic Middle English. :grin:

Ah! But there's the rub! Spelling in the English language didn't truly acheive any level of standardization until Shakespeare and the early Renaissance period. Chaucer himself spells words differently from one line to the next, exchanging one vowel for another, dropping a letter here and there, etc. Malory, some 50-75 years later does this same thing. For example, the word "wood" is also spelled "woode," and "wode" all of which are used in the same context to convey madness.

You have to love the many layers of language!

And no nerd jokes considering this IS a comic book forum ;)lol

Please. No. Thank you. :)

I will bust it out in Chicago. It is quite impressive. Nothing woos the ladies like the dulcet tones of Middle English.

You're still single, right?

Look who's talking lol

I will bust it out in Chicago. It is quite impressive. Nothing woos the ladies like the dulcet tones of Middle English.

Only if he also speaks Middle Earth English.

Only if he also speaks Middle Earth English.

lol I always was a sucker for far-out fantasy.

Damn, I'm good.

:acclaim:

Yeah, see? Didn't realize just how much punch you packed with that insult.... hm Almost like you fisted them lol

Middle English isn't all that hard to get a handle on. Old English, however, is nearly a different language altogether!

Look who's talking lol

Yeah, but it's not like I shoot myself out of the saddle. :P

Am I supposed to say "I'm sorry" or "You're welcome?"

And that's what you get when you bring a medievalist to the comic boards!

Either way, I am a big fan of mixed messages. :whistle:

No, you are.

Yes, no...maybe so.

Am I supposed to say "I'm sorry" or "You're welcome?"

And that's what you get when you bring a medievalist to the comic boards!

Either way, I am a big fan of mixed messages. :whistle:

No, you are.

Yes, no...maybe so.

Talking to you is like naming your dog "Stay"

Come here, Stay.

Stay! Come here!

Stay? Are you coming? Stay!

Stay! Come, Stay.

:roflmao: