• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lets Give Chuck a break?? Yes No

73 posts in this topic

This is the same person we debated about this same [!@#%^&^] about Chuck over at newsarama.He was outed as a Mile High Employee or a relative of Chuck's so that is why he is doing this.

smily961.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Chuck Rozanski of Mile High Comics was awarded the 2003 CBLDF Defender of Liberty Award at the Eisner Awards ceremony at the San Diego Comic Convention (after first being notified a couple of weeks earlier, see "Chuck Rozanski Wins Defender of Liberty").

He described the scene in his e-mail newsletter: "Never in my wildest dreams did I ever believe that I would receive an ovation at the San Diego Comics Convention, much less from the likes of Will Eisner, Neil Gaiman, Frank Miller, Sergio Aragones, and all the other wonderful comics professionals who were in attendance. Suffice it to say, I was unable to control my emotions as I walked off the stage, and was crying openly. I will never, ever, forget that moment. It may very well be the pinnacle event of my entire professional career."

Kind of brings a tear to my eye too! sorry.gif

No, Chuck did not start the mail order back issue business. But for me personally he did. My first foray into silverage comics kicked off with sending for a Mile High catalog from an add in a Marvel Comic... back around 1977 or 78. So Chuck will always have a place in my heart, crazy prices or no. Flame away!

Oh look, an informal survey of Mile High's Prices I normally don't do the self-promotion thing, but since it's a direct result of this thread, I don't feel so bad.

By the way, the idea that Chuck started the back issue business is preposterous. Beyond everything else already mentioned- according to him, Chuck started selling comics out of his basement in 1969. The first price guide came out in 1970. So unless Bob Overstreet started the price guide in direct response to the actions of a 13 year old boy earning lunch money out of his parent's house, there must have been something going on before Chuck got started.

From Wonder Woman #156, dated August of 1965:

WWcomiccollect.jpg

One of my favorite Silver WW books Joanna....

ww156.jpg

......and I didn't steal the scan,..I bought the book from Mark Wilson about a year ago and never bothered to scan it myself...

J.D.

Mile high comics. Pros and Cons including Chuck. What am I missing regarding the controversy with this man. makepoint.gifsign-rantpost.gif893frustrated.gifstooges.gif

Um, I would respectfully point out that Edgar Church gave Chuck a break - a HUGE break - 26 years ago, and got zip for his troubles. Anyone else giving Chuck a break *cough* Dallas *cough* deserves just what they'll get - which is just what E. Church got...

As for the back issue market line...are you the new PR manager at Mile High, or the Iraqi information minister just doing some pro bono work, or what?

Mile high comics. Pros and Cons including Chuck. What am I missing regarding the controversy with this man. makepoint.gifsign-rantpost.gif893frustrated.gifstooges.gif

Um, I would respectfully point out that Edgar Church gave Chuck a break - a HUGE break - 26 years ago, and got zip for his troubles. Anyone else giving Chuck a break *cough* Dallas *cough* deserves just what they'll get - which is just what E. Church got...

As for the back issue market line...are you the new PR manager at Mile High, or the Iraqi information minister just doing some pro bono work, or what?

I think that if Edgar hadn't been on his death bed then he wouldn't have given Chuck a break. It was his bloody kids.