• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frazetta Site Updated

12 posts in this topic

It worked the 2nd time, but was very slow. Thanks for posting this...I am planning to go to Frank's museum next month so I recently bought 2 books and a 1977 "Gauntlet" movie poster :)

Thanks for the nice size scans and the thoughtful posts. (thumbs u

I'm pretty sure that the Danger Is Our Business art did not come from the Harvey find as it was published by Toby. Elliot Caplan (Al Capp's brother) ran Toby and he did sell all of their art in the 1970s so I'll bet that where this and the John Wayne Frazetta/Williamson work came from. I believe that George Hagenauer has written about Toby sale in CBG within about the last year or so.

Thanks for the nice size scans and the thoughtful posts. (thumbs u

I'm pretty sure that the Danger Is Our Business art did not come from the Harvey find as it was published by Toby. Elliot Caplan (Al Capp's brother) ran Toby and he did sell all of their art in the 1970s so I'll bet that where this and the John Wayne Frazetta/Williamson work came from. I believe that George Hagenauer has written about Toby sale in CBG within about the last year or so.

You are absolutely right about the Toby press art. I always thought that both "finds" were merged at one point in the early 70's. A lot of people were cherry picking the Harvey material and everything started leaking into the market at the same time.

I wish a few more "warehouse finds" would happen. There is still so much art unaccounted for.

Thanks again for clarifying!

DAVE

I wish a few more "warehouse finds" would happen. There is still so much art unaccounted for.

We're lucky to have so much Frazetta work -- mostly due to his own interest and diligence. It's too bad that more artists didn't try harder.

Hi Dave

good to see you here..

about the above comment, as you know Dave, I was party to more than one "warehouse find" over the years & most of them in the 1970s-80s period.. The reason I was able to find the ones I did was because I was always looking for great sources of material and I preferred to be able to get large mass quantities of stuff as opposed to finding tiny collections or single items

I remember finding an old comics distributor in Jersey City in the 1970s and rummaging through skid after stacked skid looking for the right material..

I remember standing in the Warren warehouse looking at shelf after shelf of magazines and of course anyone in the know is aware that I and several others combined to find & purchase the warehouse finds of Standard-Nedor & Fawcett comics which produced a 24 foot truckload of publications as well as a van piled 2 feet high front-to-back of comic art & magazine illustration in the middle 80s

after that was the Harvey warehouse deal that I had nothing to do with, the Marvel art warehouse (again I had nothing to do with that) and some other minor warehouse finds.

These were great finds as all of the material was able to find it's way into the hands of true collectors eventually... But what can be left??

After 40+ years of collectors and dealers looking for warehouse finds... there just aren't left to be had.

Fiction House art exists not because it was in a warehouse but because Jerry Iger kept it as did Bill Gaines at EC. But DC art was never kept. It was generally returned to the artists or destroyed, or in the case of Flash art was given away to fans in the letters pages for several years

Timely art is virtually non-existant and it is believed it was pretty much destroyed and what does exist was not kept by Timely but by editors and artists.

Early DC covers that came out were kept by Fred Guardineer, Joe Simon and other artists.

I could on and on, but the first reality is that the material was not viewed to have any value at all once it was published and even very few companies did any reprinting as historic review until the 1960s except for some companies like Fiction House which reprinted material to save money, or because Jerry Iger didn't pay well.. or didn't pay at all.. so he needed to reprint material.

That doesn't mean that some smaller publisher like Ajax or Hillman might not still be out there.. but the likelihood is very small due to constant treasure hunting for decades by fans and dealers. Most likely what unknown material that does come out will have been in the storage unit, attic or barn of a former editor, artists or writer or even secretary and that the amounts of material will pale in comparison to previous finds, though if the quality of material is high enough.. even 1 item can be a victory

the ultimate truth is that the halcyon days of the kind of warehouse finds of the past are forever gone because guys like myself worked it so hard for many years..

I'd love to be wrong.. but I don't believe I am...

Rich===========