• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do Signature Series Add Value to Your Collection?

85 posts in this topic

I just finished researching an idea that CGC signatures are generally more pricer then regular CGC books of the same grade. Honestly I thought that outside a few key issues a signature really didn't contribute much in the way of the final market price. But after a bit of research I was surprised to see that not only does a CGC signature increase the market value but signatures aren't created equally.

I posted a overview story on my website. Looking for thoughts and opinions! Maybe this is common knowledge?

Do Signatures Add Value?

I think the sigs add value and I'm not even a real auto hound.

I know I've paid more than for a similar non-SS book but the non-SS book isn't signed by a fav author or artist or actor or the like.

On top of that SS books are the only cgc books I collect as it's the only service they offer where I see value. I don't get to cons or private signings or anything like that all that often and I'd never buy a raw book with an unverified sig. And since pretty much anybody with a printer and create a COA and start a 'verified sig' business on ebay, I view any non-SS book as potentially fraudulent. So to find on ebay or on the boards here a SS book that I'm looking for is worth paying the premium for one or two sigs, authentication of those sigs and some pretty decent encapsulation.

nice article...journalism that Wizard and CBG would be envious of!

I think this is obvious knowledge for those "in the game"...and you may be surprised that as this "Catches on" that over time, much like CGC prices, it will settle down a bit. Maybe not now, nor in several years...but eventually.

I do think that a premium price will always be present, though. Just like a Adams cover will go more than for a no name artist...it stands to reason based on supply and demand that certain signatures would be sought after. The recent Frazetta signing comes to mind...high demand, low supply...high prices.

Another factor to consider is that the cost of Signature Series service is also significantly higher than a universal grading/encapsulation, it includes that extra step - the time it takes to obtain the autograph. There are also creators that cost more to obtain - Stan Lee is hard to get by lining up, so the majority of the books done for SS were done thru private signings where Stan was paid a commercial autograph rate which increased the cost of doing the book above $50 or more -- including the grading/encapsulation, but not including the value of the book.

Generally the Witnesses offer a "full service" option whereby the customer gives the book to the Witness who then does everything --- prep work so the book is protected during the signing process, lining up --- whether it is lining up at a signing event or lining up a time with a creator, and submitting the book on the customers behalf.

The full service option can often require a fair amount of stress -- there are often many obstacles along the way --- signing limits imposed, unaccounted for autograph fees, etc. Michael Turner's presence automatically increases Signature Series demand, even though he is probably the most available Signature Series creator - the demand far outstrips the supply (and I would say that also applies to John Cassaday Dr. Watson, or Stan Lee, or Jim Lee or any one of a number of top tier creators who do make regular appearances or private signings). This past weekend, if Turner had been well enough to travel there would have been another few hundred+ Signature Series books done at the show

On other occasions, the customer lines up and just grabs one of the Witnesses at a show and they only are present to Witness the signature and CGC staff take care of the paperwork.

Obviously higher demand creators will fetch higher prices. Scarcity and the demand for the book is also a big factor. Variant covers generally fetch higher prices than regular versions. As with Universal, 9.8s sell better than 9.6s and 9.4s but a 9.4 with a rarer sig or multiple autographs can do better than a 9.8 with a more common or single creator signature.

McFarlane or Lee will do okay on their own, but McFarlane-Lee will do better than a single autograph. Throw in Michelinie and a McFarlane-Michelinie-Lee ASM 300 should fetch an even higher price. Add Sam Raimi and/or Tobey Maguire or Steve Ditko (not that anyone has with any of those three) and the prices obtained on resale could go thru the roof.

Also, I forgot to mention that books with sketches on them also tend to fetch higher prices than those without. Sketches on books have become very popular with SS collectors, but are not easy to obtain compared to simple autographs and most witnesses won't offer them as part of the "full service" package.

A McFarlane sketch on an ASM 300 would definitely sell for a significantly higher price than one with just his autograph.

A more interesting question to me is not whether SS adds value to a book but whether that value is long term? I'd venture to guess that there is a segment of collectors who aren't chomping to get books scribbled on. Not to mention that a SS book is now "locked" in a slab unlike any other. Crack it out and the best you can hope for is a GLOD later on resub.

I think everyone knows my stance on this, but as with most things in life, people are free to spend their money they they see fit, even if I think it's :screwy: to scrawl all over a pristine, vintage comic.

A more interesting question to me is not whether SS adds value to a book but whether that value is long term? I'd venture to guess that there is a segment of collectors who aren't chomping to get books scribbled on. Not to mention that a SS book is now "locked" in a slab unlike any other. Crack it out and the best you can hope for is a GLOD later on resub.

It is just like any other comic. It depends on the supply and demand. Why would you want to crack an SS book anyway?

Whet,

While I agree with your point you have picked a really bad book at a really bad time. ASM 300 was red hot in 2007 b/c of the Spider-Man movie. You are going to see a price spike that should not be attributed to SS. Also, you talk about a McFarlane signed 9.6 that sold for $500 in May 2007. That was my book and it also had a small sketch. After batting around numbers with several people on the board we determinted the "doodle" was worth an additional $100 - $150.

I think everyone knows my stance on this, but as with most things in life, people are free to spend their money they they see fit, even if I think it's :screwy: to scrawl all over a pristine, vintage comic.

I feel the same way. I personally do not like sigs on a book. :shrug: I do think some are pretty cool but it's just not my cup of tea.

Another variable that I think may affect the value of a Signature book is placement and quality of the signature. Some creator sigs are, to be frank, ugly...while others instantly bring up brand recognition (Wrightson and Kubert are among my favorite sigs). Placement I think could negatively impact value of the book if care is not heeded. At least, based on being a fly on the wall around these parts.

Kevin's comments about having signature combos and sketches are very valid. It would be cool to try to figure out the variable component here, although I think it may be a task in futility.

There are definitely many "of the moment" books that are hot Signature Series items for a short time, but level off in the long run as the supply exceeds the demand.

Like most comics, the popular mainstays -- whether that is the character or the creator --- tend to diminish more slowly than a series starring a secondary or unknown character signed by a creator that is not popular.

Yes, much more so than the blue label, the SS books have to stay in their holders. It's a different type of animal, but I think most SS collectors would think it would be daft to crack a yellow label book out as it invalides the SS authentication (except when it's done to get an additional autograph by a Witness or CGC employee). If you wanted a copy to read you would just get a second copy or buy the collection.

Generally, SS is a phenom focused on Copper and Modern age comics that are generally easily available. There are exceptions, but Bronze, Silver and Gold books are generally fewer and farther between as SS, and the older the book the less likely it will be high grade.

As with all things, it's personal choice. If you don't like autographed books, there's no appeal. But as I wrote somewhere, getting books signed has been a part of our hobby for decades, this just adds a level of excitement (and for many, trust) to their collecting experience.

Generally, SS is a phenom focused on Copper and Modern age comics that are generally easily available. There are exceptions, but Bronze, Silver and Gold books are generally fewer and farther between as SS, and the older the book the less likely it will be high grade.

That and a lot of older artists and creators are no longer "available."

It is just like any other comic. It depends on the supply and demand. Why would you want to crack an SS book anyway?
Take for example the Mile High book signed by Frazetta. Plenty of GA collectors like to crack books out of slabs. Sometimes, a book may be so hard to find that a slab is your only chance to read it. Now work backwards. A collector looking for a book finds, after much searching, only a SS copy. Knowing that they can buy it, read it and slab it later in a GLOD, I would argue that either 1) they pass or 2) the signature add nothing or 3) the signature is a negative on price.

We haven't seen it much yet. But you can bet we will if everyone and there grandma keeps getting vintage and rare books SS'd.

Take for example the Mile High book signed by Frazetta. Plenty of GA collectors like to crack books out of slabs. Sometimes, a book may be so hard to find that a slab is your only chance to read it. Now work backwards. A collector looking for a book finds, after much searching, only a SS copy. Knowing that they can buy it, read it and slab it later in a GLOD, I would argue that either 1) they pass or 2) the signature add nothing or 3) the signature is a negative on price.

We haven't seen it much yet. But you can bet we will if everyone and there grandma keeps getting vintage and rare books SS'd.

That is a one off example. That is not to say that I don't agree with you on the signing of pedigree books. However, how many people crack peds to read them?

I don't see everyone and their grandma getting vintage books SS'd simply because we have only a handful of Golden Age creators around to share their autograph with us. I don't see thousands of people having the opportunity to get a Frazetta autograph at the high autograph price, that is even if there is another opportunity given in the future it will be a small one --- similar to the first - 30-40 books at most --- and many of the first batch were on Moderns like Death Dealer comics.

Again, we're down to personal choice --- the person buying a copy to read is looking for something different than a collector of signed comics is.

I'm sure that a person buying a book to read would have to ask themself "do I want to pay more for this signed copy when all I want to do is read it?". Back to personal choice... yes, they buy it, no they don't. You crack it out to read and it's no longer Signature Series, it's one of many thousands of signed comics floating around the community.