• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Archives: Board or no board?

15 posts in this topic

No problem. A Half-Back is a 24pt stock board, buffered on one side, hundred to a pack. Basically the same thing as your standard backing board. A Full-Back is a 42 point stock, buffered on both sides and come 50 per pack. Any other question, please dont hesitate to ask,

Jeff

I figure if I'm going to protect a higher-end book long term with a high-quality board, I'm going with a full back. For the regular stuff, I go with regular bags and boards.

My GA and better SA stuff is in Mylite2s with full backs.

:shy: The Gerber Half-Backs are buffered on both sides as well - which is why they're preferable to regular backing boards.

I use:

- Regular size Mylites2 w/ Half-backs for my modern books

- Regular size Mylites2 w/ Full-backs for more expensive modern books

- Super Golden Age or Golden Age size Archives w/ Full-backs for SA/GA

The nice thing about the Golden Age size Archives is that you can fit a Regular size Mylite2 with a Halfback/Fullback in there without it being too tight - so you get that lovely double protection.

For the Super Golden Age size Archives, you can fit a Silver/Gold size Mylite2 with a Halfback/Fullback in there.

OK. Last one, will the 7 1/4" x 10 1/2" Archives w/ 700HB combo fit the modern 2.99/3.99 book?

I gotta ship out some books securely...

thx for all the input.

I do believe they will. But if you put a mylite2 with a full-back, you shouldnt have any problems either.

Yes you are right. They are both coated on one side, the difference is the stock. A 42pt stock board is much thicker and would keep your book straight. A regular backing board and a half-back always looked similar when i put them side by side.

Yes you are right. They are both coated on one side, the difference is the stock. A 42pt stock board is much thicker and would keep your book straight. A regular backing board and a half-back always looked similar when i put them side by side.

The buffering in Half Backs and Full Backs isn't a coating. The boards themselves are impregnated throughout with calcium carbonate (3%).

It is the "acid free at time of manufacture" boards (made by other manufacturers) that are deacidified on one side with a thin coating, which wears out pretty quickly if you put it into a bag with a comic book. The uncoated side of an "acid free at time of manufacture" board is actually at around a pH of 5.0 (acidic) at the time of manufacture, while the shiny (coated) side is around 7.0 (neutral). I started a thread a few years back with some pictures. http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=4&Number=893496&Searchpage=1&Main=48355&Words=shiny+FFB&topic=0&Search=true#Post893496

Thanks for the additional info. Anything with a ph balance of 8 is considered acid neutral. The term in the hobby is acid free but as i understood it, nothing is acid free. Thanks, always willing to learn.

Size-wise, 700s are 7 inches across. 725s are 7.25 inches etc. So for a 700 bag, you probably want a 675 board, etc.

I can't believe how long it took me to figure that out. I guess I'll never be a rocket scientist.

Thanks for the additional info. Anything with a ph balance of 8 is considered acid neutral. The term in the hobby is acid free but as i understood it, nothing is acid free. Thanks, always willing to learn.

That's right, except that 7.0 is considered neutral. 8.0 is considered alkaline. But as you say, it's not really correct to say that something is "acid free." Alkaline substances may become acidic over time as components within them and external to them interact, break down and form acids.

That's right, except that 7.0 is considered neutral. 8.0 is considered alkaline. But as you say, it's not really correct to say that something is "acid free." Alkaline substances may become acidic over time as components within them and external to them interact, break down and form acids.

I knew it was either 7 or 8. Its been a while since i read up on that. Thanks. (thumbs u