• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-men 294, 295, 296

226 posts in this topic

Exactly how hard are these to find in 9.8?

:o :o

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

294- 1 copy graded 9.8

295- 5 copies graded 9.8

296- 9 copies graded 9.8

you find some 9.8 quality #294s, you might be in the money :whistle: (thumbs u

Exactly how hard are these to find in 9.8?

Near impossible b/c they were in the plastic bag that we have since discovered leaves a slight indention line on the back , where the bag is sealed .

Not to mention the indention the inserted card leaves when sitting in a stack of books for several years .

Really , the only way , is if it was immediately removed originally from this "death case" , or has since received a good pressing !!...............................BH

I found a few copies of each that someone had pulled out of the original bags and put into a regular mylar and backer.

Here is a scan of a #294 just FC. back has no flaws. To give you the general idea of the shape they are in.

scan0003-17.jpg

I found a few copies of each that someone had pulled out of the original bags and put into a regular mylar and backer.

Here is a scan of a #294 just FC. back has no flaws. To give you the general idea of the shape they are in.

scan0003-17.jpg

Well , once your past the bag , card , etc hurdle you've gotta shot , that's fer sure .

It looks perfect to me , but CGC's tough . I don't know ??...................BH

scan0003-17.jpg

Sup with the bottom staple area?

These are tough. Not only did the bag and card cause flaws but many were stored without backing boards because they were in the polybags so stress marks on the spine are very common. The back cover to the 294 is important because you can see stress marks (color-breaking and noncolor-breaking) a bit easier against the blue background than you can on th white front cover.

I have a 9.8 quality 294 and 296 in my next submission to CGC. My original owner 295 got a 9.8 because I had immediately removed it from the bag and stored it in mylar with a backing board. I sold it and have not been able to find a replacement (yet...).

scan0003-17.jpg

And it is hard to tell in the scan but it looks like there is a NCB stress mark on the spine just above where the piece of paper is closest.

scan0003-17.jpg

And it is hard to tell in the scan but it looks like there is a NCB stress mark on the spine just above where the piece of paper is closest.

No NCB's and the bottom staple is tight, not sure why the scan shows it that way. I'll post FC & BC scans for the 295, 296 tonight.

These are tough. Not only did the bag and card cause flaws but many were stored without backing boards because they were in the polybags so stress marks on the spine are very common. The back cover to the 294 is important because you can see stress marks (color-breaking and noncolor-breaking) a bit easier against the blue background than you can on th white front cover.

I have a 9.8 quality 294 and 296 in my next submission to CGC. My original owner 295 got a 9.8 because I had immediately removed it from the bag and stored it in mylar with a backing board. I sold it and have not been able to find a replacement (yet...).

:wishluck::gossip:

Yep, the back cover is where most of the problems are. The seem on the polybag and the trading card are EVIL. :frustrated:

Yeah, I have very clean raw copy of 294 that I sent, no stress marks on the front cover. Very small color breaking stress on the back. It didn't pass 9.8.

The seam lines left behind from the polybags on the back covers are really evil. You can also get the line on the front cover if multiple copies were stored in a row with no backer.

I picked up 30 copies of ann 17 for 50 cents each. All beautiful books, but they were stored in a row with no backers and have the seams on the front cover. :frustrated:

Do they do pre-screens at the shows?

They did look at mine at the show , but I wouldn't call it a pre-screen . After several books got shot down in flames , I said well surely this one has to be above a 9.2 ++ . That's when he looked at it and said , .."yeah , shonuff , It has a faint line all the way down the back , and could only get an approx. 7.5 - 8.0 . :o:o ..........BH

I looked over the books I am going to submit. I am not even going to attempt to scan them since I could do (or will do) some damage. I'll post some of the runners up tonight.

Do they do pre-screens at the shows?

They did look at mine at the show , but I wouldn't call it a pre-screen . After several books got shot down in flames , I said well surely this one has to be above a 9.2 ++ . That's when he looked at it and said , .."yeah , shonuff , It has a faint line all the way down the back , and could only get an approx. 7.5 - 8.0 . :o:o ..........BH

CGC is pretty darn tough on Copper/Moderns, aren't they?