• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best DC WWII cover?

87 posts in this topic

fp37larson.jpg

I love stuff like this - where a non-caucasian hero is featured on a pre-60s hero book without resorting to stereotypes, for as much as I am fascinated with the racial stereotyping that was a part of popular culture up through the forties, and even into the fifties, it is a bit depressing to realize that they were the norm and not the exception.

Who is you favorite golden age cover artist (from an impact standpoint)?

Good question. I like the guys who use a fairly heavy amount of shading to make the pictures look more real. Raboy, Flessel, Everett, Ray, Burnley, all those guys were excellent at the style I like, while Schomburg typically wasn't. In my mind his covers look too flat and cartoony.

Not to flood the board with images or to derail the thread, but here are some examples. The look doesn't have to be dark, necessarily, but it needs to have clear depth.

All great artists! The comment about "depth" made me think of this page that I ran across on the Horrors of it All blog:

Lagoon5.jpg

Atom Age Everett is amazing! - I have to know what comic this Creature from the Black Lagoon style zombie story is from.

Who is you favorite golden age cover artist (from an impact standpoint)?

Good question. I like the guys who use a fairly heavy amount of shading to make the pictures look more real. Raboy, Flessel, Everett, Ray, Burnley, all those guys were excellent at the style I like, while Schomburg typically wasn't. In my mind his covers look too flat and cartoony.

Not to flood the board with images or to derail the thread, but here are some examples. The look doesn't have to be dark, necessarily, but it needs to have clear depth.

All great artists! The comment about "depth" made me think of this page that I ran across on the Horrors of it All blog:

Lagoon5.jpg

Atom Age Everett is amazing! - I have to know what comic this Creature from the Black Lagoon style zombie story is from.

That story is reprinted in it's entirety in the hardcover Marvel,..5 Fabulous Decaces FROM ABOUT 15 YEARS AGO...GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u