• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Secret Invasion #3 ***SPOILERS***

54 posts in this topic

Is it me or did the Secret Invasion story start off strong....then suddenly is starting to get real convoluted. When I say this, I'm not just talking about from numerous miscellaneuos tie-ins....but the core books themselves like new avengers and secret invasion.

There either really dragging the story too much (jungle battle between modern heroes vs. bronze doppelgangers) or they've got too much going on at once like young avengers vs super skrulls, the initiative and young avengers vs super skrulls, spider woman revealed as skrull queen (real shocker by now meh)oh yeah, she "kills" echo? tony stark revealed sleeper skrull, capt marvel vs thunderbolts (ie. SI #3)....

rantrant

I hear you. I'm still trying to figure out what happened going on with Reed after SI #1. I guess the writers stashed him where they stashed Cassandra Nova in Astonishing. They haven't gone back to it in any of the tie-ins yet either. So far, the best SI book I've read has to be Captain Britain and MI13 #1.

And what's the deal with the Vision getting screwed over again? Seems like in each Avengers arc he gets blown to hell. So much for that advanced 40th century tech.

Wow! I forgot about Reed! They shoulda at least explained that one...IN HIS OWN BOOK! (FF:SI #1)...come on! When you put off a great cliffhanger for 2-3 months...it kinda loses steam. (Great panel of him getting blasted to jello lol )

BTW, I don't follow X-Men but what happened to CNova? Was that SI related?

I have to agree with you on the Captain Britian book. I was pleasantly surprised how good that was. I, personally would have to add the SI #1 and the "Where was Nick Fury All This Time" book (NAvengers or MAvengers)?

Vision... :roflmao:

I'd have more feelings about the characters that seem to be getting killed if they weren't scrubs.

Young Avengers? pah.

Initiative drones? pah.

And the last page with Fury and the new Commandos? Liefield/McFarlane called and they'd like their metal arms and ridiculously large guns back.

If the fate of the world rests in the arms of any team involving Franklin Richards...it's time for private space flight.

This series is really losing me.

#1 was great. 2 was pretty good but was poorly paced/written. 3...meh.

That's not Frankin Richards, that's Ares' son. Fury recruited him (shown in a Flashback) in a recent issue of Mighty Avengers.

ahh...good info.

don't read M.A. so I didn't realize that. the fate of the world is a bit more secure. :)

overall though...i'm feeling less than enthused after 3 issues.

hopefully they bring whatever it is they're doing together next issue.

I wasn't thrilled by SI 3. Seemed like it was intended to show a couple of pages from each tie-in but not to really tell much of a story. Trying to figure out who exactly are all the Commandos, Initiatives, and Young Avengers when they all look a lot alike was a bit much. Plus I read it with a flashlight when my power went out!

I dropped my subscription of Secret Invasion at #2. I havn't been overly impressed with it. When I skimmed through #3 at my lcs I was glad I did since I don't see this series being worth $3.99 per book regardless if it has hard stock cover or not.

Just my 2.768 cents worth.

hehe

:)

I find the whole concept very interesting, but I'm waiting for the trade. I wonder what issues will be grouped together?

I thought too that the concept interesting but I don't think its being presented well. I myslef may just grab a trade. Most likely it will be 1-9 of SI and then an other trade of some of the others. It makes sense though to buy the trade. For myself to buy all 9 of the SI main series it would be $40.57 CDN when I could just wait for a trade that would be $20 tops.

And the last page with Fury and the new Commandos? Liefield/McFarlane called and they'd like their metal arms and ridiculously large guns back.

:signfunny:

That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw that page!

An amusing review of the issue can be found here: http://savagecritic.com/2008/06/abhay-titles-blog-post-about-secret.html

Must say, this definitely had a "where's the beef?" quality to it --- the Initiative, Runaways and Young Avengers get the spotlight?

Was that Spider-Man and Ka-Zar/Shanna scene in this issue or New Avengers? Getting hard to keep track (and awake).

Echo gets possibly killed? Couldn't care less. Sorry David Mack.

Spider-Woman is a Skrull. I told you guys she was a Skrull last year and you didn't believe me... you went to great lengths to say she wasn't a Skrull. Well, she's not just a Skrull... she's the friggin' QUEEN OF SKRULLS. How 'bout that!

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1785889&page=10#Post1785889

Tony Stark. No, not a Skrull. Too easy. She thinks he's a Skrull. Psych-out tactic or major error on her part? My guess is it's a psych-out tactic. Get him confused enough that he can't do anything to stop her.

No love for the Vision. Need a character to die? Blow up the vision. He'll be back soon in a rebuilt body.

Nick Fury and his Image team? Blah... nice gun.

I'll give Secret Invasion this... I'm more interested in it than I am in Final Crisis.

That's like saying I like Diet Red Bull more than regular Red Bull. I'm not a fan of either as it makes my teeth hurt, but at least I feel that with Diet Red Bull I'm not actually rotting my teeth, and the calories are a little more empty. I feel full but not sick. What I'd really like is a Coke Zero, not a red bull... where's the Coke Zero? Probably in the Ed Brubaker and Robert Kirkman written titles. I can read as much as they want to write and I don't ever feel full. Mark Millar books are like regular Coke... they really do rot my teeth and make me feel bloated afterwards.

An amusing review of the issue can be found here: http://savagecritic.com/2008/06/abhay-titles-blog-post-about-secret.html

Must say, this definitely had a "where's the beef?" quality to it --- the Initiative, Runaways and Young Avengers get the spotlight?

Was that Spider-Man and Ka-Zar/Shanna scene in this issue or New Avengers? Getting hard to keep track (and awake).

Echo gets possibly killed? Couldn't care less. Sorry David Mack.

Spider-Woman is a Skrull. I told you guys she was a Skrull last year and you didn't believe me... you went to great lengths to say she wasn't a Skrull. Well, she's not just a Skrull... she's the friggin' QUEEN OF SKRULLS. How 'bout that!

Tony Stark. No, not a Skrull. Too easy. She thinks he's a Skrull. Psych-out tactic or major error on her part? My guess is it's a psych-out tactic. Get him confused enough that he can't do anything to stop her.

No love for the Vision. Need a character to die? Blow up the vision. He'll be back soon in a rebuilt body.

Nick Fury and his Image team? Blah... nice gun.

I'll give Secret Invasion this... I'm more interested in it than I am in Final Crisis.

That's like saying I like Diet Red Bull more than regular Red Bull. I'm not a fan of either as it makes my teeth hurt, but at least I feel that with Diet Red Bull I'm not actually rotting my teeth, and the calories are a little more empty. I feel full but not sick. What I'd really like is a Coke Zero, not a red bull... where's the Coke Zero? Probably in the Ed Brubaker and Robert Kirkman written titles. I can read as much as they want to write and I don't ever feel full. Mark Millar books are like regular Coke... they really do rot my teeth and make me feel bloated afterwards.

:signfunny:

BTW... I always found the Martian Manhunter and the Vision to be similar characters. Both were non-Human humanoids with more real "humanity" than the majority of their team-mates. Both struggled to find their place in the world and both died within a week of one another in this year's summer battle of the network crossovers.

Yeah, it's like we're panhandling for gold but gettin' more pyrite instead!