• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone ever ....

12 posts in this topic

Buy a 9.8 cgc to open it & get it signed as a SS?..

I'm thinking of getting a few SS at sd but would hate for the books to wind up not being a 9.8

Would the cgc guys be able to open it for me right there at the con ? :S

I've seen Kris crack out several books to get them SS'd. Not sure what the results were but I know he's very careful not to let the books get handled any more than absolutely necessary.

Yes and yes. I have opened several CGC 9.8,9.6 and lower grades to get them SS and it came back the same grades.

If CGC is at a con you can ask them to open the slab for you. They will more then likely smile and crack the book open in front of you.

In the past the only way I would open a slab was through a CGC employee , but after watching them do it and trying it a few times myself I am fairly confident in my de-slabing ability.

Just remember if you open a SS slab and you are not infront of a CGC witness or employee you void that books SS label.

Most of my experiences have been positive but there are the odd few occasions whereby a 9.8 did not come back a 9.8 (assuming the book was handled with the utmost care). I suggest thoroughly inspecting a slabbed book before cracking it to reduce disappointment.

Will

Yup. I've crack one or 2 9.8s, 9.6s and 9.4s. All have were cracked by CGC at the con or submitted to a witness and signed. All came back the same grade thankfully. There is no guarentee and it still does make me nervous though..despite the fact that it hasn't happened to me.

But if I got a one and only highest graded census copy or a hard to find hg slab... I would be weary of taking that chance.

:eek:

ie. my recently acquired Cap #360. That i was tempted to crack and get signed.

But I got the one and only 9.8. The only other slabbed copies are (1) 9.6 and (1) 9.4.

I crack em all the time...

My first thought is to investigate the book and make sure it looks like a 9.8 to me. If it doesnt, I will tell the customer that odds are this book is not coming back a 9.8 based on little things and if they still want me to crack it open for signature. The label is great for knowing what a book grades, but other things can happen to a book and it is a fine line between 9.6/9.8.

does cgc take it out of the little plastic whatever on the inside as well?.. I can't see my self cutting or opening that part of the cgc case with out leading to damage of the book heh!