• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Con Sketches

15 posts in this topic

Can anyone help me out, I'm looking to find out what these artist charge for doing sketches on books or and stock artist board.

Marc Silvestri

David Finch

Todd McFarlane

Micheal Turner

Send me a P.M. if anyone knows.

Can anyone help me out, I'm looking to find out what these artist charge for doing sketches on books or and stock artist board.

Marc Silvestri

David Finch

Todd McFarlane

Micheal Turner

Send me a P.M. if anyone knows.

Razor-Great list!

I would like to know also.If someone knows can you just post it or PM me also.

Marc Silvestri will do a sketch free of charge when he is signing at the Top Cow booth, *IF* there is time and the line is not too long. He hasn't done a commission on an 11x17 art board for a long time, but he charges A LOT for a commission.

Finch will charge somewhere between $40-60 for a simple head sketch on a backing board/blank comic. I think head/torso is somewhere around $100, 2 characters is $200 or so. I'm not sure if he charges more at different shows.

McFarlane - For the few shows he does, I don't think he publicly says he'll do any sketches, maybe he'll do a quick doodle.

Turner - Good luck. It took me 6 years of knowing him and seeing him at shows before I got my first backing board sketch from him. If he does a sketch, it's on the last day of the show, in the afternoon, for 5-10 people tops, and in those cases, I think it's been free. If you want a commission, I've heard all sorts of prices, from hundreds of dollars, and up. Considering a simple Turner sketch on a backing board sells for at least $100 on eBay, and his original artwork sells for MORE than that, it's not cheap.

That said, given his current health situation, it'll be a while before he starts doing sketches again. I would recommend checking eBay and the Aspen Comics message boards to see if someone's selling a sketch of his. That'll be the best bet for getting one, in my opinion.

Good luck, you have some *EXCELLENT* tastes. Silvestri will definitely be at San Diego, but the lines are very long, so I'd recommend getting to a signing of his EARLY so you're at the front of the line. Or ask him if you could be last in line if he'd consider doing a sketch.

Joel

FInch prices as of New York Comic Con were

60- Headsketch

250- Bust

500- Full Commission

If you want something big, his wife is real good about answering emails before the show if you want to work something out.

Finch did this Spidey head-sketch for free at WWLA in 07. I caught him at the Marvel booth with no line because they were throwing out free t-shirts and various Marvel swag to the crowd a few feet away.

It isn't much but I was glad to get it.

finch.jpg

Nice! That's because you got him at Marvel and not at his table. Marvel and DC specify to creators that they cannot charge fans when they sign at their booth, unless it's for charity.

I remember the days when Finch did freebies (head sketches and some full figures). Then the year when he started charging ($20 for head sketches, not sure the rest, but definitely under $500 for a full figure)... and then at the same con (on the final day), he raised his prices ($40 for a head sketch, not sure of the rest). Glad I got one the day before. :)

Finch is an awesome artist, and a super nice person.

I was lucky with my Michael Turner sketch (Wonder Woman). Right place, right time. I was in another world after I got it.

yes finch is nice he stayed after & signed mine and a couple other peoples books at the ECCC one time even though the security there was trying to kick both him & us all out :D He was doing free sketches as well at that time & even managed to do a spider man head sketch for a kid there I was not lucky enough to get one but was happy enough to have my books signed & it was cool to see him draw in person :)

David Finch is still one of the nicest guys in comics. If he senses this sketch is for a fan and not an eBay enthusiast, he'll take care of you. Yes, when he's at Marvel, he can sketch for free, if the line isn't too long. When he's at the HERO booth, he never charges too much. He will sign books for free unless you come with a stack of the exact same book. If you bring him a stack of different books for your collection, he'll sign them all with a smile on his face, if I remember correctly. :)

Joel

That's what I'm hoping for to get him to sign a few issues to add to the personal collection. I picked up a few sig books from Jon Jesper and Had NOOO problem adding them to the exel list and putting them away.

I'm not going to get rid of these or any personal books that are signed just like to optain them.

I remember the days when Finch did freebies (head sketches and some full figures). Then the year when he started charging ($20 for head sketches, not sure the rest, but definitely under $500 for a full figure)... and then at the same con (on the final day), he raised his prices ($40 for a head sketch, not sure of the rest). Glad I got one the day before. :)

Finch is an awesome artist, and a super nice person.

I was lucky with my Michael Turner sketch (Wonder Woman). Right place, right time. I was in another world after I got it.

I would love to get a Turner sketch!! That WW is sick!! Way to go J.Truong!Congrats