• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Modern Grail Acquired...

22 posts in this topic

To me, a modern grail exists and it is Bone #1. Between 1994 and 2000 I searched high and low for the best copy available...be it LCSs or cons. I saw over 150 first prints during those years and owned twelve different copies. By CGC standards of grading, the best copy I owned was an 8.5 and the best copy I ever saw was probably a 9.2. The obvious problems came from the dark blue cover and the black back cover and the not-so-obvious problems came from the inside pages. The paper used for printing the first eleven issues was not near the quality of Marvel or DC at the time and this seriously affected the appearance of the covers as well as the interior pages (people actually read this book and it showed). .

I gave up my pursuit when I graduated from college but continued to read and enjoy the series. I discovered CGC in late 2005 and eventually reacquired the collecting bug in early 2007. That summer, boardmember Annihilus posted a book that he had recently got back from CGC: a 9.4 Bone #1. Judging from his scan, it was the cleanest unsigned copy I had ever seen and, like many others, I inquired about a possible sale. He was very nice in our correspondence but said he was going to hold onto it for the time being. I gathered that he’d eventually want to sell it so I kept him in mind while continuing my search.

I eventually acquired my first CGC copy of Bone #1 in late October through ebay. It’s a qualified 8.5 but take away the cover signature and the sketch with inscription on the interior and it looks like a solid 9.2 with a chance at 9.4. I’ve always been happy with it, however, the search for an upgrade never ends. The seller from whom I bought this copy eventually put the rest of his CGC Bone #1s up for sale over the next two months. They included 1 9.6Q, 3 9.2s, 3 9.0s, and a single 6.0. Since he put them up in such a constrained time period, each copy realized a very low final price that I failed to cash-in on...mostly because of that 9.4 I saw over the summer.

When the #1s had dried up on the ‘bay and I was frustrated as hell, I sent a PM to Annihilus wondering if he’d be open to offers for his 9.4 (mid-January ’08). After a month or so of negotiations (we stopped for a couple weeks in-between) my offer eventually got close to what he was looking for and we finally struck a deal. Following a couple months of time payments, I was the lucky owner of this genuine NM Bone #1:

bone01cgc940146866005.jpg

From Annihilus: “Back when it was released, I lived in Montana and didn't really have access to a 'real' comic store, so was resigned to getting all my comics through a subscription service with a couple of buddies that I worked with (it was M&M Comic Service out of Chicago....not sure if they're still in business or not). It was back before the days of the Internet, so we were relegated to using a copy of Previews and a manual order form. I was big into Independent titles (especially Cerebus, but also titles like Nexus and anything else that caught my eye). Each month I would take a chance at a couple of independent #1's that were recommended, and that month happened to be Bone #1. I can't remember specifically what they said about it, but it sounded promising, so I took a chance. Back in those days, Independents were really hit or miss (mostly miss)...I just got lucky with this one. It was an entertaining read!”

The book not only survived shipment from M&M but also nine different moves between the time Annihilus first read it and when he sent it in to CGC (15+ years). I can’t thank him enough for letting it come my way as well as providing the history above. Chalk it up as another great transaction provided by the boards!!

That is a great collecting & Boards story.

I just read the Bone phonebook over the 2007 Holidays & really enjoyed the entire story.

Thanks again for one fantastic tale of hunting down a Grail!!!

I think that is an awsome Modern grail and if I had to choose one...that would probalby be it!

Congrats! It's a beautiful thing to finally see the fruit of your labor!

R.

I always enjoy when meaningful stories are attached to the acquisition of a book. Thanks for sharing this with us, docgo, and as other have previously stated, congratulations on the acquisition!

-Mike

Yup. Me too.

R.

Kudos to both of you for completing a deal that satisfied both parties involved. That is a great book to own, no matter what era it hails from. A truly sweet (condition) and fun (story) book. Good job! :golfclap: