• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,509 posts in this topic

Its a real tough one. I remember seeing a copy in one of the unseen gold articles I believe.

All Picture All True Love Story 2 is also ultra rare

http://www.ebay.com/itm/All-Picture-All-True-Love-Story-2-ONLY-3-COPIES-KNOWN-Matt-Baker-St-John-1952-/141031064982?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item20d61b4596

Edited by Rip

Awesome to see two of them. I was wondering if any of you collect any of the 50s digests. They are in my opinion, very rare with some of the best covers. This is one of my favorites and also my personal copy.

photo GirlsOutOfHell_zpsd8cb38dd.jpg

Great cover i can see it being your favorite

Its a real tough one. I remember seeing a copy in one of the unseen gold articles I believe.

All Picture All True Love Story 2 is also ultra rare

http://www.ebay.com/itm/All-Picture-All-True-Love-Story-2-ONLY-3-COPIES-KNOWN-Matt-Baker-St-John-1952-/141031064982?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item20d61b4596

I think I read somewhere that this book has the distinction of being the only non-photo romance cover not drawn by Baker.

That Diary Secrets is truly a rare find. Only seen one other copy for sale.

Here is my All-Picture All True Story #2

Tell you though, the cover could sure pass for Baker,IMO. especially the guys features.

ALL PICT LOVE STORY  2 photo ALLTRUEPICTLOVE2.jpg

Some more classic APC covers

photo AUTHPOLICE10_zpsb1c962e7.jpg

photo AUTHPOLICE15_zps8c347046.jpg

On closer inspection, the man on the cover could pass as Baker. Whoever inked this cover looks like the same person who inks a lot of Baker's work. Not sure how much of Baker's pencils were inked by Baker or other artists. The woman's face definitely has Bakerish elements and the overall cover has some nice clean lines to it. I also look at fingers as Baker had a distinct way of drawing fingers. Maybe need to rethink whether this is Baker or not.

Edited by jlee

That Diary Secrets is truly a rare find. Only seen one other copy for sale.

Here is my All-Picture All True Story #2

Tell you though, the cover could sure pass for Baker,IMO. especially the guys features.

ALL PICT LOVE STORY  2 photo ALLTRUEPICTLOVE2.jpg

I agree. I tracked down where I read it. It's in Benson's book on St John: "This rare 25-cent giant is the only line-drawn St John romance comic that was not drawn by Matt Baker." He doesn't mention a source for the statement, so I would guess he's just relying on his own judgement.

I believe that teen-age romances 26 and 27 have covers not by Baker and with a very similar looking cover and style to the all picture 2.

It would be easy to imagine St. John hiring a painter for the covers and giving the artist a selection of earlier issues with Baker covers, thus influencing that painter's work in a way that resulted in some similarities to Baker.