• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,509 posts in this topic

11953946786_ee381c7955_b.jpg

Issue 5 is one of my favs. I think this is one of the few wash covers done by Baker.

I agree that it's a terrific cover. I'm happy to trade the Kate illos of later issues for this full cover.

11953946786_ee381c7955_b.jpg

Issue 5 is one of my favs. I think this is one of the few wash covers done by Baker.

I agree that it's a terrific cover. I'm happy to trade the Kate illos of later issues for this full cover.

This cover showcases Baker's tremendous versatility. And his wash cover technique is second to none in comics.

I was happy to win this one tonight. It's a beater, but at less than $20 I thought it was worth it for a tough book.

_57_zps1a7d5604.jpg

Possibly my least favorite Baker romance cover, ironically drawn during the same period as some of his best known greats.

I might not have even bought a copy, except I found a mid grade double cover copy. :roflmao:

I actually like this one. I like the #14 least in the series, although it has its charm with an older couple reminiscing about their past. The interior Baker art is also really good.

GoingSteady14_zps7eb0b293.jpg

I like the #14 least in the series, although it has its charm with an older couple reminiscing about their past. The interior Baker art is also really good.

I'm kinda ambivalent about that cover, too. I agree the interior art is good, although the stories are reprints.

Anyone know what the last St John romance comic was to have new Baker interior art? hm

This one cracks me up. Love the guy's no nonsense approach.

TeenAgeRomances36_zpsd578f085.jpg

One of my favorite Baker covers. Unfortunately, the two copies I have are in "bad" and "really bad" condition. :cry:

My general attitude is buy any Baker romance regardless of condition that I am missing and then upgrade if at all possible. I have a few coverless and 2/3rd cover copies. So "bad" and "really bad" is quite good. I suspect this is a pretty rare book. I bought the only copy I have ever seen for sale.

This one cracks me up. Love the guy's no nonsense approach.

TeenAgeRomances36_zpsd578f085.jpg

One of my favorite Baker covers. Unfortunately, the two copies I have are in "bad" and "really bad" condition. :cry:

My general attitude is buy any Baker romance regardless of condition that I am missing and then upgrade if at all possible. I have a few coverless and 2/3rd cover copies. So "bad" and "really bad" is quite good. I suspect this is a pretty rare book. I bought the only copy I have ever seen for sale.

One of my first BR's. It's a nice mid-grade too, if memory serves me.

I like the #14 least in the series, although it has its charm with an older couple reminiscing about their past. The interior Baker art is also really good.

I'm kinda ambivalent about that cover, too. I agree the interior art is good, although the stories are reprints.

Anyone know what the last St John romance comic was to have new Baker interior art? hm

I think it would be a tie between the three books dated June 1954, Cinderella Love #14, Teen-Age Temptations #8, and True Love Pictorial #10. From this point on, all St. John romance books were made up from reprints (except the covers).

Another "classy" guy cover. I wonder if Baker wrote some of the cover dialogue?

PictorialRomances22_zps8088c4ec.jpg

I had this book in low grade and sold it with another Baker cover. I am not that picky about the grade but sometimes sell before the upgrade is purchased and end up with nothing. I have turned to a life of crime....comics to fill the void. The other war comic that I like is Approved issue with the Leatherneck Jack story.

11956505316_baff560df8_c.jpg

I think it would be a tie between the three books dated June 1954, Cinderella Love #14, Teen-Age Temptations #8, and True Love Pictorial #10. From this point on, all St. John romance books were made up from reprints (except the covers).

Is "Fast Company" in Teen-Age Temptations 9 new or a reprint? If new, is that possibly the last one?

Another "classy" guy cover. I wonder if Baker wrote some of the cover dialogue?

PictorialRomances22_zps8088c4ec.jpg

I had this book in low grade and sold it with another Baker cover. I am not that picky about the grade but sometimes sell before the upgrade is purchased and end up with nothing. I have turned to a life of crime....comics to fill the void. The other war comic that I like is Approved issue with the Leatherneck Jack story.

11956505316_baff560df8_c.jpg

Which issue is that? I don't think I've seen it before.

Is "Fast Company" in Teen-Age Temptations 9 new or a reprint? If new, is that possibly the last one?

"Fast Company" is originally from Pictorial Romances #7, May 1951.

Man! You know your Baker! Great info. Thanks! (thumbs u

An invaluable resource is the Fantagraphics St. John Romance "master list". For those wishing to download it:

http://www.fantagraphics.com/downloads/stjohnchecklist.xls

Very impressive. Great to know!

An invaluable resource is the Fantagraphics St. John Romance "master list". For those wishing to download it:

Great resource. I think Dr. Love may have posted that link before and I never followed up on it. doh!

Was it put together by Jim V., Jr.?

Great resource. I think Dr. Love may have posted that link before and I never followed up on it. doh!

Was it put together by Jim V., Jr.?

John Benson, I think. The checklist was a supplement to Benson's "Confessions, Romances, Secrets, and Temptations", 2007.