• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,588 posts in this topic

I was happy to win this one tonight. It's a beater, but at less than $20 I thought it was worth it for a tough book.

_57_zps1a7d5604.jpg

Possibly my least favorite Baker romance cover, ironically drawn during the same period as some of his best known greats.

I might not have even bought a copy, except I found a mid grade double cover copy. :roflmao:

Edited by 29dukedog

I was happy to win this one tonight. It's a beater, but at less than $20 I thought it was worth it for a tough book.

_57_zps1a7d5604.jpg

Possibly my least favorite Baker romance cover, ironically drawn during the same period as some of his best known greats.

I might not have even bought a copy, except I found a mid grade double cover copy. :roflmao:

I don't know. I think this one is pretty good. Seems like a reasonably well-composed picture of two couples who are … going steady! :D

Here's my least favorite.

blu910a_zps1441cc26.jpg

New :)

Scan-131230-0003_zpseca18c5f.jpg

Great!

Nice eye appeal. (thumbs u

Ken

I find Baker covers very appealing to the eye. :kidaround:

Thanks, I lucked out on that Hawk.

I haven't posted any Baker love in a while, so...

Going Steady 10. The first in this real short and sweet silent run. We all know the Steadys are a beotch to find in nice shape. Late in the game for Mr. Matt, in all respects.

GoingSteady10fc100_zps68638c95.jpg

Hollywood Pictorial 3. Sorry, but you St. John completists need this one too. One Baker story inside. It's true, even for photo covers, it's meh. Nevertheless, hard to track down - one 9.4 in the census, that's it. Lack of interest?

HollywoodPictorial03fc100_zpsd5005786.jpg

Pictorial Romances 15. Only one original 9 pg Baker story - not a lot of output in this issue compared to some of the others in this run (Giants!). And this is one of the split panel covers from 1952, the year the editors decided to shake it up and try something new visually. Romance had imploded, all the publishers were either out or freaking about getting pushed out.

Still, a real nice main panel - nice inking on the oil field, and the guy's profile is detailed and refined rather than sloppy and brutish.

PictorialRomances15fc100_zpsa805f7bc.jpg

Bad-azz Baker

You'd best not go robbing banks in The Hawk's town

TheHawk12fc100_zps6ddc61c5.jpg

Great stuff! I think the Hawk covers may be my favorite Baker non-Romance covers, except perhaps for Seven Seas 4.

Thanks, I lucked out on that Hawk.

I haven't posted any Baker love in a while, so...

Going Steady 10. The first in this real short and sweet silent run. We all know the Steadys are a beotch to find in nice shape. Late in the game for Mr. Matt, in all respects.

GoingSteady10fc100_zps68638c95.jpg

Hollywood Pictorial 3. Sorry, but you St. John completists need this one too. One Baker story inside. It's true, even for photo covers, it's meh. Nevertheless, hard to track down - one 9.4 in the census, that's it. Lack of interest?

HollywoodPictorial03fc100_zpsd5005786.jpg

Pictorial Romances 15. Only one original 9 pg Baker story - not a lot of output in this issue compared to some of the others in this run (Giants!). And this is one of the split panel covers from 1952, the year the editors decided to shake it up and try something new visually. Romance had imploded, all the publishers were either out or freaking about getting pushed out.

Still, a real nice main panel - nice inking on the oil field, and the guy's profile is detailed and refined rather than sloppy and brutish.

Three tough books! We need another Dr. Love romance sales thread! :sumo:

Nice one! All the elements of a killer romance cover:

- hot babe

- cool dude

- sick art

- alcohol & tobacco

^^