• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,509 posts in this topic

What a profusion of Baker romance goodness being posted today!!! :applause:

Don't know if this has been shown here or not...but here's mine...

152noyw.jpg

Dang, I really need to upgrade my copy of this issue. Nice one!

:banana:

Good choice.. My friend told me the Yankee pitchers start training camp today.

Yeah, when i found it I didn't know it was a tough issue to get. It was in a box of miscellaneous comics at a now defunct local comic store about 10 years ago. $15. I took it...and also took their F copy of Madhouse 22 (first Sabrina) for another $15.

Ah, the good old days, I remember them fondly.

But you know, I believe we are currently living through a golden age of comic collecting. It's still early enough in history that original owner collections of Golden Age comics are still turning up, and the internet makes them instantly available to collectors everywhere. eBay is like the world's garage sale. I'm old enough to remember the Dark Ages, before the internet, so I've never lost my sense of wonder over the fact that I can operate a business buying and selling comic books right from my bedroom, with just a scanner and an internet connection.

Do you have an eBay store?

No, but I still buy and sell on eBay. The point I was making is that I can. The internet has leveled the playing field. There's no longer such a vast difference between 'dealer' and 'collector', like there used to be.

:grin:

Yeah, when i found it I didn't know it was a tough issue to get. It was in a box of miscellaneous comics at a now defunct local comic store about 10 years ago. $15. I took it...and also took their F copy of Madhouse 22 (first Sabrina) for another $15.

Ah, the good old days, I remember them fondly.

But you know, I believe we are currently living through a golden age of comic collecting. It's still early enough in history that original owner collections of Golden Age comics are still turning up, and the internet makes them instantly available to collectors everywhere. eBay is like the world's garage sale. I'm old enough to remember the Dark Ages, before the internet, so I've never lost my sense of wonder over the fact that I can operate a business buying and selling comic books right from my bedroom, with just a scanner and an internet connection.

Agree, without eBay I wouldn't have lots of my Baker comics&art. (worship)

AllPictureAllTrueLoveStory2d_zps596972da.jpg

I'm starting to wonder if this one is as rare as advertised. I thought there were only two extant, but just one the boards here, we've got at least three. hm

Yes, but I only know of those three, plus one more- that copy that sold for about $700. on eBay last August, remember? Here's the census I've been keeping on this book: RICK STARR'S copy, my copy (which is the Crippen copy), the one that sold on eBay last Aug., and another copy owned by a member of the Yahoo Romance group (he sent me a scan, years ago). Those are the only four I've been able to confirm. Anyone else have one?

No, but I still buy and sell on eBay. The point I was making is that I can. The internet has leveled the playing field. There's no longer such a vast difference between 'dealer' and 'collector', like there used to be.

A collector is just an experienced dealer when he decides to sell. Don't kid yourself. You don't know the market as well as many of the dealers. They are professionals who are making a living at it. I like to play golf but couldn't make money at it if I went on tour.

A collector is just an experienced dealer when he decides to sell. Don't kid yourself. You don't know the market as well as many of the dealers. They are professionals who are making a living at it. I like to play golf but couldn't make money at it if I went on tour.

You may be right. But, what I'm commenting on is opportunity, and how greater and more equal opportunities have closed the gap between dealers and collectors, since the introduction of the internet.

sotl1_zps162dccc0.jpg

The last Baker St John cover, if I'm remembering correctly. Tough one, too.

Yep, but not as tough as I used to think- I've seen about seven or eight, total. I've had four pass through my own hands, alone.

Pass one on to me! :D

AllPictureAllTrueLoveStory2d_zps596972da.jpg

I'm starting to wonder if this one is as rare as advertised. I thought there were only two extant, but just one the boards here, we've got at least three. hm

Yes, but I only know of those three, plus one more- that copy that sold for about $700. on eBay last August, remember? Here's the census I've been keeping on this book: RICK STARR'S copy, my copy (which is the Crippen copy), the one that sold on eBay last Aug., and another copy owned by a member of the Yahoo Romance group (he sent me a scan, years ago). Those are the only four I've been able to confirm. Anyone else have one?

Never had one, only ever saw one listed in - roughly - 15 years.

cl27b.jpg

:o

I just still cannot get over the condition of this one.

:golfclap:

You've got a copy of CL 28 that's every bit as nice, though, don't you? How do I know that? Sure, you've posted a scan of it here in this very thread. But, tell me how I know this: You bought it from a seller in Canada who contacted you with it, out of nowhere, back in 2003. His initials are F. B. Have you ever shared that me, or with anyone?

Heh heh heh! Maybe one day I'll tell you the rest of the story. For now let's just say, I've been kicking myself ever since.