• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,509 posts in this topic

OMG. That auction was really something.

I almost went for the TLP 5, but just...couldn't. Who knows what it would have taken. Rick Starr, congrats.

Recap

Diary Secrets 18 F- $406

Dairy Secrets 24 VG/F $323

Pictorial Romances 6 F+ $203

Teen-Age Romances 14 VG $261

Teen-Age Romances 34 VG+ $478

Teen-Age Temptations 7 VG/F $149

True Love Pictorial 2 VG $137

True Love Pictorial 5 6.5 $741

True Love Pictorial 8 6.0Q $103

True Love Pictorial 10 6.0 $299

Wartime Romances 3 F- $980

You know I bought a raw TLP 5 that I think is an easy 7.0/7.5 from Harley for less than $300 not that long ago, and Harley's not inclined to give books away. Shows you how prices are escalating.

i'm starting to think that the Bakers I don't currently have are going to be tough to pick up ... short of my skirting bankruptcy.

So, two of us got sumpthin'...

Why would you want a coverless FF5? Do you have a nice cover for one? I don't understand replacing a G with a CV...

I'm working on a run of early FF's, all coverless or very, very low grade. That way I get to read original books for a minimum price. Where most people are upgrading, I'm downgrading.

So, two of us got sumpthin'...

Why would you want a coverless FF5? Do you have a nice cover for one? I don't understand replacing a G with a CV...

I'm working on a run of early FF's, all coverless or very, very low grade. That way I get to read original books for a minimum price. Where most people are upgrading, I'm downgrading.

Ya know...I was going to say that as a joke...but didn't want to insult... (shrug)

Edited by tricolorbrian

OMG. That auction was really something.

I almost went for the TLP 5, but just...couldn't. Who knows what it would have taken. Rick Starr, congrats.

Recap

Diary Secrets 18 F- $406

Dairy Secrets 24 VG/F $323

Pictorial Romances 6 F+ $203

Teen-Age Romances 14 VG $261

Teen-Age Romances 34 VG+ $478

Teen-Age Temptations 7 VG/F $149

True Love Pictorial 2 VG $137

True Love Pictorial 5 6.5 $741

True Love Pictorial 8 6.0Q $103

True Love Pictorial 10 6.0 $299

Wartime Romances 3 F- $980

You know I bought a raw TLP 5 that I think is an easy 7.0/7.5 from Harley for less than $300 not that long ago, and Harley's not inclined to give books away. Shows you how prices are escalating.

i'm starting to think that the Bakers I don't currently have are going to be tough to pick up ... short of my skirting bankruptcy.

Sounds like you got a great deal. (thumbs u

About five years ago, I won a TLP 5 at auction on eBay... a nice looking VG+... for $31.00. I wish now I had a scan ready to post.

Don't hate me because I'm lucky. (I know, I know... you've got plenty of other good reasons.)

I feel that the Sixth Street books being offered on Ebay, with prices for all to see, may be one reason for the sudden stratospheric prices on the Bakers. (shrug)

That, and the fact that a few of those 6th st. books actually sold for those prices.

I won the APC 9, Diary Secrets 24 and Teen-age Romances 14.

I will be selling my under-copy of TR 14 very soon.

Until the last 1/2 hour, the DS 24 was the book I wanted the most, and felt it might even sell for a reasonable price.

Congrats! Got an undercopy...?

well with these prices there should be a steady flow of low grade baker. not that there hasn't been. ebay is steady, and new slabs keep getting graded almost every 2 weeks.

but with VG at $500, FN at $1000 - we should start seeing more VF/NM looking for $1500. Not that we haven't seen that happen at sparkle last year (you know who you are!), but it could become more mainstream. Price will always break books free, but to guys with money, this ISN'T real money as far as comics go. Only in the romance world is it huge.

Still, an undervalued asset. imho!

Nice. I needed the DS 18 as a big upgrade. My copy has a small chunk out of the spine. That DS 24 looked nice with sharp colors. TR 14 is a difficult one, too.

Until the last 1/2 hour, the DS 24 was the book I wanted the most, and felt it might even sell for a reasonable price.

Congrats! Got an undercopy...?

Nope. I've been on the lookout for a copy for awhile. I was looking to upgrade my 18, but every time I put in a bid I was outbid.

well with these prices there should be a steady flow of low grade baker. not that there hasn't been. ebay is steady, and new slabs keep getting graded almost every 2 weeks.

but with VG at $500, FN at $1000 - we should start seeing more VF/NM looking for $1500. Not that we haven't seen that happen at sparkle last year (you know who you are!), but it could become more mainstream. Price will always break books free, but to guys with money, this ISN'T real money as far as comics go. Only in the romance world is it huge.

For many years there has been a huge gap between Phantom Lady prices and Baker's romance prices. I've always anticipated that one day the romance would have to start catching up. I think what we're seeing now was inevitable.

Edited by 29dukedog

For many years there has been a huge gap between Phantom Lady prices and Baker's romance prices. I've always anticipated that one day the romance would have to start catching up. I think what we're seeing now was inevitable.

I got into Baker romance because I couldn't afford PL's at the time.

I think we need to all show our want lists, make a pact not to spend over double guide on any Baker book, and help each other locate our wants. This madness needs to end. It's time for the Baker Union...

Great idea. Ok, who wants to draw up the Union regulations?