• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,400 posts in this topic

We should work on that over the next few days. Toss out ideas, figure out dues, elect a boss...yada, yada...but, seriously, we should try to get together on this. Remember, in numbers there is strenth...

Right away, I see a big issue that might be difficult to resolve... when two or more members have the same book on their want list. How do we decide who gets the first copy that turns up? Flip a coin? Draw cards? What?

I feel that the Sixth Street books being offered on Ebay, with prices for all to see, may be one reason for the sudden stratospheric prices on the Bakers. (shrug)

True, although some of those books have been sitting unsold for months now. I wonder if he will eventually relist them at more reasonable prices?

So, two of us got sumpthin'...

Why would you want a coverless FF5? Do you have a nice cover for one? I don't understand replacing a G with a CV...

I'm working on a run of early FF's, all coverless or very, very low grade. That way I get to read original books for a minimum price. Where most people are upgrading, I'm downgrading.

Any chance of your adopting this strategy with your Bakers? :D

So, two of us got sumpthin'...

Why would you want a coverless FF5? Do you have a nice cover for one? I don't understand replacing a G with a CV...

I'm working on a run of early FF's, all coverless or very, very low grade. That way I get to read original books for a minimum price. Where most people are upgrading, I'm downgrading.

Any chance of your adopting this strategy with your Bakers? :D

In a few cases, I already have. Where I've ended up with two copies of a particular book, I've occasionally sold the "overcopy", and contented myself with the lower grade copy. Though, this has mainly been in cases of books with covers that aren't especially my favorites. And once or twice, in the case of an issue of Diary Secrets, which are all reprints, anyway (10-30, that is).

Edited by 29dukedog

Getting a slabbed Baker with interiors by him is frustrating. I recently bought a slabbed WR #1. Trying to decide whether to crack. When a raw copy came up on ebay, I won it. Great interior art. Wouldn't have missed it for the world.

You said it. Those first eight or nine issues of WR contain some of the very best work of his career, IMO. I wonder if that title meant something special to him, for some reason, and might explain why he seemed to put so much more effort into those stories.

As for dukedogs question: We go with first dibs or figure out a gentlemanly rotation. I'm not in any hurry to own all my wants, so I don't mind waiting for a few if we take turns.

Maybe we could list our wants in a prioritized order... with the most wanted book at the top, followed by the second most wanted, etc. We might be able to use that as a basis for determining who gets what, as it becomes available.

Also, maybe we should put a desired grade, or grade range, for each book, and an upper limit on how much we're willing to spend.

sounds good. I also think everyone should get everyone else's prioritized want list to put in a word file for ref. Trying to find them all on this thread will be a nightmare. As we see books we do not need, we should send PMs to the people who want them. Share the wealth so to speak, instead of being competitors we need to be assisting each other. Grade is not that important to me as long as eye appeal is good. I sent you a prioritized list, so mine is almost done in that regard...just need to copy and paste it here with additions. We also need to boycott Baker commons that are priced higher than double or triple guide. Some of these "" want 10x guide...

I think this kind of project will make collecting Baker a lot more fun...and a lot less expensive.

This is starting to sound like the original idea behind John Nash's Principles of Governing Dynamics. (Google John Nash, or better yet, watch the film, "A Beautiful Mind."

Not by a long shot. This has got to be the rarest:

019.jpg

(BTW, this is not my copy... it's actually the D Copy, and it's been photoshopped a little.) I believe there are only two copies confirmed, but ask Dr. Love about this one- he's the expert.

Yup that's my copy. Or at least my copy as it looks photoshopped! It's a Crippen, but it's a 6.5 Crippen, and there's a reason for that. I'm planning to crack it, press it, and resub, even though it may replace the OW-W with a CR-OW. It's the only graded copy, but I'm pretty sure Bumble Kitty has one too. Other than that I haven't seen one around, but having said that, we'll probably get 3 more posted in the next 24 hours.

Nope, I do NOT own a copy. :sorry:

Ok, here is a revised list:

Secrets of True Love

Diary Secrets nn

All-Picture All-True Love Story 2

Giant Comics Editions 12

Romance Confession Stories

Teen-Age Diary Secrets 7

Teen-Age Diary Secrets 9

Record Book of Famous Police Cases

Authentic Police Cases 18

I think the last two may not actually be that rare. An APC 18 just sold on eBay last night.

Any others? Reasons that some on the list shouldn't be there?

How about GCE 13 or 15? Does everyone have either one or both of those books? Except for the Diary Secrets issues (nn, 7 and 9), the others, IMO, there are more than 10 copies but less than 20 that survived. That certainly qualifies as rare, but the later three are ultra rare.

Tough list. I tend to think All-Picture All-True Love Story 2 is not a Baker cover, but that's just me. I do think very few copies exist.

I posted these two a while back, but here they are again:

GiantComicsEdition15front_zpsf3288b8e.jpg

GiantComicsEdition13front_zpsb132332e.jpg