• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,509 posts in this topic

AllPictureAllTrueLoveStory2d_zps596972da.jpg

I'm starting to wonder if this one is as rare as advertised. I thought there were only two extant, but just one the boards here, we've got at least three. hm

Yes, but I only know of those three, plus one more- that copy that sold for about $700. on eBay last August, remember? Here's the census I've been keeping on this book: RICK STARR'S copy, my copy (which is the Crippen copy), the one that sold on eBay last Aug., and another copy owned by a member of the Yahoo Romance group (he sent me a scan, years ago). Those are the only four I've been able to confirm. Anyone else have one?

I have a short box full of this issue. I'll try to scan them when I get a chance.

Ken

I would like one please. But it isn't a Baker cover.

Not by a long shot. This has got to be the rarest:

019.jpg

(BTW, this is not my copy... it's actually the D Copy, and it's been photoshopped a little.) I believe there are only two copies confirmed, but ask Dr. Love about this one- he's the expert.

Yup that's my copy. Or at least my copy as it looks photoshopped! It's a Crippen, but it's a 6.5 Crippen, and there's a reason for that. I'm planning to crack it, press it, and resub, even though it may replace the OW-W with a CR-OW. It's the only graded copy, but I'm pretty sure Bumble Kitty has one too. Other than that I haven't seen one around, but having said that, we'll probably get 3 more posted in the next 24 hours.

Nope, I do NOT own a copy. :sorry:

So there's only one copy? Nobody else knows about another one?

Could have sworn I saw another copy posted in this thread at some point. hm

jlee posted a copy. Michelle Nolan found a copy and wrote an article on discovering it, since it was previously unknown, in an issue of Comic Book Marketplace. I once saw a really low grade copy on ebay. Then the D copy. That's 4.

You saw a copy of Diary Secrets nn on eBay? Hard to imagine I missed that. Do you remember anything else about it, like when, how much it sold for, etc.?

The seller of the A-P A-T Love Story 2 on eBay last year, also had written an article about it's discovery, which was published in the CBM, in Nov. 1999. I wasn't sure if I'd saved the scan of that article, but I recently found it.

It's an interesting parallel between this book and Diary Secrets nn, since this one was also previously unknown to Overstreet.

apatls2_06_zps3e545a39.jpg

Not by a long shot. This has got to be the rarest:

019.jpg

(BTW, this is not my copy... it's actually the D Copy, and it's been photoshopped a little.) I believe there are only two copies confirmed, but ask Dr. Love about this one- he's the expert.

Yup that's my copy. Or at least my copy as it looks photoshopped! It's a Crippen, but it's a 6.5 Crippen, and there's a reason for that. I'm planning to crack it, press it, and resub, even though it may replace the OW-W with a CR-OW. It's the only graded copy, but I'm pretty sure Bumble Kitty has one too. Other than that I haven't seen one around, but having said that, we'll probably get 3 more posted in the next 24 hours.

Nope, I do NOT own a copy. :sorry:

So there's only one copy? Nobody else knows about another one?

Could have sworn I saw another copy posted in this thread at some point. hm

jlee posted a copy. Michelle Nolan found a copy and wrote an article on discovering it, since it was previously unknown, in an issue of Comic Book Marketplace. I once saw a really low grade copy on ebay. Then the D copy. That's 4.

You saw a copy of Diary Secrets nn on eBay? Hard to imagine I missed that. Do you remember anything else about it, like when, how much it sold for, etc.?

The seller of the A-P A-T Love Story 2 on eBay last year, also had written an article about it's discovery, which was published in the CBM, in Nov. 1999. I wasn't sure if I'd saved the scan of that article, but I recently found it.

It's an interesting parallel between this book and Diary Secrets nn, since this one was also previously unknown to Overstreet.

apatls2_06_zps3e545a39.jpg

The ebay copy was from a long time ago. Shortly after the sale of the D copy. It was quite poor, and that's all I remember.

Interesting the article you posted didn't show the cover. It would seem that would be the important thing, if collectors were to look for it.

AllPictureAllTrueLoveStory2d_zps596972da.jpg

I'm starting to wonder if this one is as rare as advertised. I thought there were only two extant, but just one the boards here, we've got at least three. hm

Yes, but I only know of those three, plus one more- that copy that sold for about $700. on eBay last August, remember? Here's the census I've been keeping on this book: RICK STARR'S copy, my copy (which is the Crippen copy), the one that sold on eBay last Aug., and another copy owned by a member of the Yahoo Romance group (he sent me a scan, years ago). Those are the only four I've been able to confirm. Anyone else have one?

I have a short box full of this issue. I'll try to scan them when I get a chance.

Ken

I would like one please. But it isn't a Baker cover.

I previously owned a copy but sold it in the late 90s. So it may or may not be one of the copies listed above.

Most recent additions... first-time copies of both issues, for me... (but, not as if it's taken years and years to find them...more like, I just finally got around to them)...

tlp6M_zpsd4f36f4b.jpg

wr14_zps9284cf1e.jpg

Two good ones.

due to apparent lack of interest in working together to curb high prices (which some of you seem to relish) I decided to abandon the want list/ union concept. Sorry about that...it's back to every man for himself, and I hope you guys don't get burned too badly in the future due to this price escalation frenzy.

Edited by tricolorbrian

Based on the fingers on that cover, I'm revising my opinion of the ATAP Love Story #2 to being by Baker...

Really? Because, I believe the hands are the least convincing evidence to support APATLS2 being by Baker! (And I'm one of the strongest advocates of Baker's participation in the aforementioned cover.)

Edited by 29dukedog

Teen. Romances 9 (CGC 5.5) at $1027 on the 'Link and still going. :cry:

It's not for me but I reckon that book has plenty of room to go further. And further still. Better tighten your belt Rick!

:facepalm:

It's just out of control...

Based on the fingers on that cover, I'm revising my opinion of the ATAP Love Story #2 to being by Baker...

Really? Because, I believe the hands are the least convincing evidence to support APATLS2 being by Baker! (And I'm one of the strongest advocates of Baker's participation in the aforementioned cover.)

Well, the faces are similar too, but the fingers are identical. So, maybe two people worked on both covers...It just seems to have the same gestalt on each book...

Edited by tricolorbrian

Well, the faces are similar too, but the fingers are identical. So, maybe two people worked on both covers...It just seems to have the same gestalt on each book...

Looking at the womens' left hands, I do see a similarity in the way the fingers overlap. It's the awkward composition of the right hand of the APATLS woman that bothers me most. It's too bad we can't see any thumbs on the hands of the TAR woman, for the purpose of comparison. As for the gestalt, are you sure that's not just an overall similarity of composition and pose?

145097.jpg.f09a9c13a0fd0f7477f7e77f422b5835.jpg