• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,900 posts in this topic

Anyone care to venture a market price for a 3.0 or 4.0 Cinderella Love #29 and is this issue hard to find?

All the CLs are tough. Poor distribution and lack of collector interest until comparatively recently means not many copies survived. Copies that have surfaced in the past few years have mainly disappeared into collections.

I wouldn't be shocked if a nice looking 4.0 went for $750. Possibly more in an auction with two or three motivated bidders.

I just noticed that Clink has a cgc 3.5 ow/w coming up for auction so we'll see what that brings in.

TAR%2042_zpsuyr2mj9u.jpg

Knock out. Is that Bakerfan's copy from the recent eBay auction?

Yes. It's pretty nice out of the case.

Looks like the PGX gamble paid off for you.

I have had good luck with PGX books, believe it or not.

Nice one Andy! You weren't the only boardie going for that book. Defect sitting on the back, front cover presenting much higher than the grade, just the way we want our 6.5's. Romance is so undervalued that Baker is still a buy at these "high prices". imh(slightly biased)o of course lol

and congrats to the new owner of the Canteen Kate #2 :applause:

I didn't pull notes, but at first glance the book looks like it could easily press out a minor roll and tie for high grade if not beat it. Solid purchase, 8.0 and better for < $500 is like printing money.

Bakerfan rolling out the slabs, you gotta love that. He picked up a lot of romance over the years, a lot of everything actually. Somebody here knows him right? I thought he was a Californian - am I thinking of the wrong guy? his star spangleds were great

Nice one Andy! You weren't the only boardie going for that book. Defect sitting on the back, front cover presenting much higher than the grade, just the way we want our 6.5's. Romance is so undervalued that Baker is still a buy at these "high prices". imh(slightly biased)o of course lol

Thanks. This purchase doubled my Baker romance collection! lol

I don't have the testicular fortitude to go after these all that often, with prices being so much higher than they were even a few years ago, but I want some nice examples for my collection and this one fit the bill. I especially like the issues that have 50's features to them. Not too overt on this cover, but their outfits are enough. That, coupled with the fall scene, were enough for me to go after it. Would love to add a 40 or 44 to it someday.

No worse than buying raw IMHO. It seems PGX missing or ignoring restoration is no greater risk than buying raw, even from some major dealers. There have been plenty of stories of higher grade PGX books getting a grade bump when submitted to CGC ( though perhaps we are more likely to hear about these than the other way around).

In my limited experience, buying GA and Atom Age books slabbed by PGX, is that in 5.0-7.5 the grading is in line with CGC, but they are too generous in lower grades, and when I see a 2.5 - 3.0 PGX label, upon closer inspection of just a scan and reading the label, the books are often more like 1.5s

Bakerfan rolling out the slabs, you gotta love that. He picked up a lot of romance over the years, a lot of everything actually. Somebody here knows him right? I thought he was a Californian - am I thinking of the wrong guy? his star spangleds were great

If he starts bringing out the big guns, there's going to be a lot green blood flowing on ebay.

No worse than buying raw IMHO. It seems PGX missing or ignoring restoration is no greater risk than buying raw, even from some major dealers. There have been plenty of stories of higher grade PGX books getting a grade bump when submitted to CGC ( though perhaps we are more likely to hear about these than the other way around).

In my limited experience, buying GA and Atom Age books slabbed by PGX, is that in 5.0-7.5 the grading is in line with CGC, but they are too generous in lower grades, and when I see a 2.5 - 3.0 PGX label, upon closer inspection of just a scan and reading the label, the books are often more like 1.5s

A few months ago I bought a copy of More Fun 28 PGX 6.5 CR-OW. It came back from CGC 2.0 Brittle pages. :tonofbricks:

and congrats to the new owner of the Canteen Kate #2 :applause:

I didn't pull notes, but at first glance the book looks like it could easily press out a minor roll and tie for high grade if not beat it. Solid purchase, 8.0 and better for < $500 is like printing money.

The Ghost Breaker issues are very tough in high grade. Up there with Phantom Stranger and Danger Trail.

well congrats x2 then buddy on the 125

and new high on the tough diary secrets 11 - sweet! :applause:

the 6.5, being a sixth st, when it does surface may also prove to be less than desirable visually, if not technically. The later batches seemed to be going downhill if I remember correctly.