• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,613 posts in this topic

Who can tell me about this one? Does it rebind remainered comics, like the All-Picture All-True 100 page giants? I can't seem to find much info on it.

Does anybody have a copy? I don't recall ever seeing one before, or even hearing about it. Does it belong on our list of super rare Bakers?

I have a copy (GCE 4). I will look at it later on tonight. Will post info then. I would consider this issue HTF.

Who can tell me about this one? Does it rebind remainered comics, like the All-Picture All-True 100 page giants? I can't seem to find much info on it.

Does anybody have a copy? I don't recall ever seeing one before, or even hearing about it. Does it belong on our list of super rare Bakers?

I have a copy (GCE 4). I will look at it later on tonight. Will post info then. I would consider this issue HTF.

It's not one of the GCE's... it's True Crime Cases (from Official Police Files) nn, 1951, St. John. It's a one-shot. That's about all I could find out. It's a Baker cover (signed), and I'm guessing it's made up from remaindered copies of APC... but that's what I'm not sure about. I need to find someone with a copy who can ID the interior.

Did you recognize the cover as being one of the books you own?

145176.jpg.60e2d6085552262978171e7fca650055.jpg

To his credit, he knew well enough to make the Teen-Age Romances 9 a standard auction, as opposed to a BIN.

But I hasten to add, I'll bet a million dollars he had more than one collector trying to get him to sell the TAR 9 privately. [glares accusingly] :taptaptap:

I asked him about it but I also asked him about the TLP 11 and he still listed that one with a well below-market BIN.

Wow! To pay that kind of money for an APC, I would need the grade to be at least a 9.2. Even then I wouldn't pay it!

Metro had a Church APC -- one of the few Church St John books that is actually Churchy -- but I can't remember which number it was. I think the grade was old label 9.4. It disappeared from the site in that mysterious purge of their Church books a few months ago.I think they were asking $2,400.

Don't have a copy and have never seen one. There are two copies on the census but I'm inclined to think it should go on our list of scarcest Bakers.

I can kinda see this one because it is such a great cover. Did anyone notice that a couple of the books he has listed most recently appear to have water damage near the top of the book?

I can kinda see this one because it is such a great cover. Did anyone notice that a couple of the books he has listed most recently appear to have water damage near the top of the book?

That kind of defect is so common with these larger sized issues. I think it's simply because they stick up higher than normal sized books, when stored upright with other comics.

Don't have a copy and have never seen one. There are two copies on the census but I'm inclined to think it should go on our list of scarcest Bakers.

Looking through the Heritage auction archives, I found one of those CGC copies, plus another copy, raw. Based on this, I'd say it's practically as "super-rare" as the other St. John giants discussed and listed here.

The only thing I still want to know- Is it a rebound book, or did it publish new stories?

Looking through the Heritage auction archives, I found one of those CGC copies, plus another copy, raw. Based on this, I'd say it's practically as "super-rare" as the other St. John giants discussed and listed here.

The only thing I still want to know- Is it a rebound book, or did it publish new stories?

I don't know, but I would be very surprised given its late date -- 1954 -- if it wasn't a collection of remaindered books -- probably APCs.

I don't know, but I would be very surprised given its late date -- 1954 -- if it wasn't a collection of remaindered books -- probably APCs.

The date of publication is 1951, but it could still be a collection of APC's.

So there's a DS 23 6.5 CR-OW coming up. Can't remotely compare to my 7.0 White! :sumo:

What's that you say? The lower right corner? A production defect, I tell you! Doesn't count! Pay it no mind whatsoever! (tsk)

dia420a_zps5a33aa9f-1_zps61c515cc.jpg

So there's a DS 23 6.5 CR-OW coming up. Can't remotely compare to my 7.0 White! :sumo:

What's that you say? The lower right corner? A production defect, I tell you! Doesn't count! Pay it no mind whatsoever! (tsk)

dia420a_zps5a33aa9f-1_zps61c515cc.jpg

Coming up...? Where? That one's up there on my want list...

(Nice 7.0, BTW. I remember that one from Metropolis.)